Is this 15" subwoofer good? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Is this 15" subwoofer good?

someguy03
08-31-2006, 06:00 PM
DBX db-SW15

http://d.im.craigslist.org/Mj/zo/hP5VpPqndJrXGipY7ugD5WCIvq0E.jpghttp://c.im.craigslist.org/8e/XK/LyNyKFIvyqBCtfUaOmqBzJBkM5oq.jpg

Its the big box. I think you can figure it out. Being offered it for 20$

SlumpBuster
08-31-2006, 07:05 PM
No. It is not good.

It does not appear to be powered. It does not appear to have any adjustable level control, crossover control, or phase control. No RCA inputs either. It is an old school sub from the 80's or early 90s. Useless with modern receivers, DD, DTS and LFE channels without separate amplification. And at that point your just peeing in wind.

No it is not good. Waste of $20 plus shipping.

This would be a better use of money in the bargain basement catagory:
1. http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-633
or
2. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7688987&type=product&productCategoryId=cat03045&id=1138083504371

someguy03
08-31-2006, 07:24 PM
I was going through some stuff on craigslist. I have no interest in bargain bin items. I just need a big sub for my very large home theater room (23x23 feet)

N. Abstentia
08-31-2006, 07:39 PM
You don't want bargain bin items, but you do want a $20 subwoofer? :confused:

someguy03
08-31-2006, 07:43 PM
I have always seen audio as one of those things where even back in the 90's, the stuff was good. And people sell the good stuff for cheap now because they think its crappy because its so old. I thought maybe this could end up being some really good $300 back in the day sub that someone wanted to get rid of. Modern bargain bin items from websites like parts express really ARE crap.

I would consider cheap items that suck to be bargain bin items . I would consider getting good speakers for a low price to be a good deal.

I am still learning about subs, and I have no experience in things as old as this, which is why I had to ask.

markw
09-01-2006, 05:41 AM
Bought it in 1990 or so for $149 from DAK. I had it paired with a pair of Mininus 7's for a few years in the spare room and it wasn't too bad, for what and when it was. It added a nice low end to small speakers,and it prevented the bass from getting to (and there for overdriving) the small speakers. IOW, it did exactly what it was designed for and marketed to do.

But, to compare it to today's powered HT subwoofers is a joke.

N. Abstentia
09-01-2006, 06:46 AM
Modern bargain bin items from websites like parts express really ARE crap.

You've got a lot more to learn.

kexodusc
09-01-2006, 07:36 AM
I have always seen audio as one of those things where even back in the 90's, the stuff was good. And people sell the good stuff for cheap now because they think its crappy because its so old. I thought maybe this could end up being some really good $300 back in the day sub that someone wanted to get rid of. Modern bargain bin items from websites like parts express really ARE crap.

I would consider cheap items that suck to be bargain bin items . I would consider getting good speakers for a low price to be a good deal.

I am still learning about subs, and I have no experience in things as old as this, which is why I had to ask.

Subwoofers have probably advanced more in the last 5-7 years thanany other area of audio. Now good AND cheap are not mutually exclusive terms for subs. I've built $80 subs that outperform highly recommended $350 subs from 1999-2000...
I'm sure this unit will boom, and might play loud...for $20, it might be worth the risk, but I'd be surprised if those subs from parts express didn't wipe the floor with it in terms of sound quality - not to mention they are powered.

someguy03
09-01-2006, 02:53 PM
You've got a lot more to learn.

So your willing to tell me that those 2 subs are good and will do an excellent job of filling my room?

N. Abstentia
09-01-2006, 03:37 PM
So your willing to tell me that those 2 subs are good and will do an excellent job of filling my room?

Compared to a 1984 non-powered $20 dbx sub...yes. Easily.

someguy03
09-01-2006, 03:39 PM
As I told you, I didn't know if the 20$ sub was a piece of crap or not (i previously pointed out that I didn't know anything about things that old). And of course, I didn't buy it.

SlumpBuster
09-01-2006, 07:22 PM

Actually you are on the right track by looking at vintage items. You can get a lot of good vintage stuff for cheap. My amp is 22 years old. Got it for pennies on the dollar, especially when you factor in inflation. However, the 90's were not a golden age for a lot of manufactures. It was actually a period of a lot of bankruptcies, consolidations, and marquee names put upon on the auction block. Factor that in with poor material choice resulting in rampant foam rot of speaker surrounds and the 90's were a black period. Your not even safe by concentrating on otherwise high-end manufactures, i.e. the Luxman of the 90's was not the same Luxman of the 80s.

In terms of vintage subs, there are few options. 90s vintage velodynes are good, but get bought up quickly.

If good bass bass obtainable for 20 dollars, most of us would have a lot less explaining to do to our wives.

SlumpBuster
09-01-2006, 07:28 PM
Bought it in 1990 or so for $149 from DAK.

Man, I hadn't thought about DAK in years. I just googled DAK and found out why: Bankrupt in 1994. But, looks like it reformed under a new banner and surprise surprise... they're seling equalizers. :cornut:
http://www.dak.com/reviews/2024story.cfm

JoeE SP9
09-02-2006, 07:06 AM
Bought it in 1990 or so for $149 from DAK. I had it paired with a pair of Mininus 7's for a few years in the spare room and it wasn't too bad, for what and when it was. It added a nice low end to small speakers,and it prevented the bass from getting to (and there for overdriving) the small speakers. IOW, it did exactly what it was designed for and marketed to do.

But, to compare it to today's powered HT subwoofers is a joke.

Bought one around the same time. $149 from DAK. Used it in my bedroom system with a pair of Minimus 7's. It was adequate. Finally gave it away to a friend with a one box HT. I had a lot more bass than the dinky 6" ported sub that came with the system. I still have the Minimus 7's and they're still in my bedroom system working with a Cambridge Soundworks powered sub.:cool:

markw
09-04-2006, 12:18 PM
Bought one around the same time. $149 from DAK. Used it in my bedroom system with a pair of Minimus 7's. It was adequate. Finally gave it away to a friend with a one box HT. I had a lot more bass than the dinky 6" ported sub that came with the system. I still have the Minimus 7's and they're still in my bedroom system working with a Cambridge Soundworks powered sub.:cool:Since it was rated for 200 watts (I think), I wonder how it would be with a plate amp...

repeet
02-15-2014, 08:31 AM
Sorry to resurrect and ancient thread but,

I've been using this subwoofer for years in my home theater. It doesn't shake the floor but it is really musical. Well, ok, it may shake the furniture.

I recent powered it with an Emotiva UPA-1. 250 watts fed by a balanced cable and a short 12 gauge speaker wire. Equalization is done by the PEQ in my Sherbourn PT-7030. Bass guitars are very accurate and articulate. Drums have a nice sense of impact, as well as cymbals. Of course placement is very important.

JoeE SP9
02-15-2014, 04:22 PM
I was able to significantly improve its sound by coating the stamped metal speaker basket with Mortite.