Why spikes? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Why spikes?

tin ear
08-31-2006, 04:00 PM
What is the theory behind speaker floor spikes?

More specifically, why would I want to mechanically couple my speakers to my floor? I have wood subfloors on pier & beam construction (no concrete). Over that is 2 layers of carpet pad and then carpet - in all, close to 1" thick.

Seems to me that with my wood floors, I'd be introducing vibration (jitter?) into my source machines by tying my speakers to the floor.

In my case, wouldn't I rather just set the speakers on the carpet and let them float there?

:confused5:
-Jon

PHiX
08-31-2006, 04:14 PM
It minimizes the surface on which speakers stand, which prevents your bookshelf / floor te shake along with the speaker... which causes unwanted sound (to you and the neighbors).

tin ear
08-31-2006, 04:28 PM
Ah, I see. So the idea is to de-couple, not couple to the floor.

Jesse111
08-31-2006, 07:55 PM
Ah, I see. So the idea is to de-couple, not couple to the floor.

Yes exactly. And by decoupling, an audible change develops. Bass in most cases becomes less "muddy", clearer, more defined. That is usually the most obvious difference. Addtionally, it has been my experience that spikes and dome shaped "spikes" can be used that yeild the same results thus making it easier to move your speakers as well as saving your floor. The objective is to reduce contact. Domes or spikes serve that purpose and are indistinquishable in a blind test. By not using either you will be missing out on the full potential of you bass response.

PHiX
09-01-2006, 07:13 AM
A cheap solution would be sticking small pieces of felt cloth at the bottom at all 4 sides as used with furniture, that is what a sales guy told me anyway.

superpanavision70mm
09-01-2006, 07:29 AM
It's also important to keep the speakers secure with the spikes so that your expensive speakers don't tip over. Maybe that's a bit obvious though.

Mark_IDT
09-03-2006, 12:15 AM
what if the floor is concrete? I'm about to make a sub and have been tossing around rather to make some spikes or not cause with my concrete floor covered with thick carpet I figured it wouldn't matter. Not that making them would be any problem just a few hrs on a lathe.