Kids [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Kids

dean_martin
08-31-2006, 07:13 AM
I picked this up for $3.99 at BestBuy while in Orlando. (As an aside, did you guys know that BestBuy's sales were regional? I didn't. I don't think we have $3.99 sales in our area yet.)

Back to the movie. I had noticed that this film had recieved some praise from critics and thought it might be one of those gems overlooked by the mainstream. Gus Van Sant was involved as producer, I think and it does have his more recent signature look and feel (like Elephant). But, I couldn't get passed the "segment" with the girls after its in-your-face beginning and segment with the guys hanging out doing whippets.

Has anyone watched it all the way through? Are there any "redemption" type turns for these kids? Does it shift its attention to any kids who aren't doing drugs or fixated on sex? I'd like to make it to the end. I know there are teens like the ones depicted in the early part of the film, but it sure is hard/sad to watch.

paul_pci
08-31-2006, 09:12 AM
Yes, it is very disturbing to watch. I was a giddy undergrad at the time, so I loved it because it wasn't some sugarcoated, save everyone at the end kind of movie. But it is very graphic, there's no one to identify with except for maybe Jenny and her tragic Od(d)yssey. It's a sobering look at kids who have no adult influence of supervision, so if you can connect with that type of narrative, pop it back in; otherwise, regift it.

jrhymeammo
08-31-2006, 10:51 AM
Ahhhhhhhhh. Whenever I see OE at liquor stores, that movie comes to my head everytime.

Did you know that girl in the opening scene was under 18 at the time? Only other flick that I know w/ that girl is American Psycho. Decent movie, GREAT book!!!

I have no legs, I have no legs. Says an African American gentle man with a shirt that says "Kiss me I'm Polish"

It's okay...it's Casper.... Love never stops I guess.

Peace.

dean_martin
08-31-2006, 11:16 AM
Did you know that girl in the opening scene was under 18 at the time? Only other flick that I know w/ that girl is American Psycho. Decent movie, GREAT book!!!

She certainly was a convincing under-18 year old.

jrhymeammo
08-31-2006, 11:50 AM
Not sure how Indie flicks can get away with certain stuff.

Worf101
09-01-2006, 04:58 AM
Mike Tyson said that "Kids" was one of his fave movies of ALL time. This was when it came out back in the day. With an endorsement like that, sheesh what do you expect. Having grown up in the Projects, I found the movie to be more true than not, unfortunately... I watched the whole thing...

Da Worfster

dean_martin
09-01-2006, 01:52 PM
Mike Tyson said that "Kids" was one of his fave movies of ALL time. This was when it came out back in the day. With an endorsement like that, sheesh what do you expect. Having grown up in the Projects, I found the movie to be more true than not, unfortunately... I watched the whole thing...

Da Worfster

I didn't realize how old it was until I picked it up. I prolly could've made it all the way through the first time 10 years ago before my own kids were teens.

I'll make it to the end with the right frame of mind. The Tyson reference is interesting...my memory must be fading...I used to be on top of what was going on on the pop culture fringes...not sure how I missed this one...