gotta lean on you video guys...have questions [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : gotta lean on you video guys...have questions

Tarheel_
08-30-2006, 12:59 PM
help....since this is my first projector, i need some guidence

-i own the S&V calibration disc...can i also use this to tweak the pj? anything special or use the same way?

-if i have an HD directv receiver, but no HD package/channels (yet) should i still use the HDMI to DVI cable to connect to the pj or use S-video?...I can only get SD for now.

-I've never used the progressive scan on my Pioneer DVD player, do i 'enable' this option in the DVD menu? Anything else required to see ps DVD playback?

-speaking of DVD, i have the Pioneer 563 which does DVDA/SACD, progressive scan, but only has component and no upconvert. It does have a fine picture....i assume this is just as good or better than the newer upconvert DVD players?

thanks in advance

edtyct
08-30-2006, 01:34 PM
Yes, you can use the S&V disk to tweak the projector. Datacolor's Spyder TV Pro will calibrate front projectors, even gain and bias for greyscale if your Panasonic offers it in the user menu, for a mere $600 to $700 (I mention it because Datacolor just sent me one to try, and I feel obliged to network it). The HDMI to DVI connection doesn't require HD; its performance with the digital DirecTV feed will surpass S-video. Usually switching to progressive scan requires the push of a button on the remote/deck or a menu choice. Progressive scan generally occurs automatically with DVI or HDMI, unless the player gives the option of 480i over its digital out, which is rare. The projector will convert any 480i to progressive, anyway, but your DVD player might do it better. Component should do you fine. The Panasonic will also upconvert DVDs and satellite broadcasts to 720p, but, again, an upconverting player might do a better job. The only way to find out is to check. You might be able to tell a difference only on test screens, if at all.

Tarheel_
08-30-2006, 03:03 PM
thanks for all the great info...

to recap.
-even though i don't have HD channels, i should use the HDMI/DVI connection.
-i should elect progressive scan on the DVD player menu and it'll do ps automatically.
-an 'upconverting' DVD player may yield mild gains in picture quality.
-the Datacolor Spyder Pro costs more than my used projector, so i'll stick with the S&V.
-never thought about the projector upconverting to 720p, which makes sense since that is its native output....nice.
thanks again