24 Season 6 News! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 24 Season 6 News!

Groundbeef
08-30-2006, 09:32 AM
Filming is underway for the 6th season. According to the Chicago Tribune 8-30-06 Tempo section, "The writers, it seems, have come up with a doozy (for the White House story line): Wayne Palmer (D.B. Woodside), the deceased former president's borther who was with him when he was assisinated, had become THE LEADER OF THE FREE WORLD!!!

How this goes down no one is saying. The article goes on to let out that America is under terrorist attack as the season opens, and that Jack has been behind bars in CHINA for 20 months. The President is "Angry" as the article describes.

The rest of the story centers around the Director.

Cant wait until Jan!

Woochifer
08-30-2006, 12:01 PM
Wow! That is quite a twist. I was wondering what happened to Wayne Palmer at the end of Day Five, but I guess we now know that he was schmoozing with the White House staff looking for a campaign manager! Should be interesting because Wayne Palmer is much more of a shadowy and morally ambiguous character than his brother David.

The articles I read at the end of last season indicated that Day Six would not take place in China, so I would guess that Jack is back in the U.S. when the stink starts hitting the fan. Too bad. Would have been interesting to have Day Six involve a cloak-and-dagger operation to spring Jack out of the Chinese prison, but not knowing if the operation involves a rescue team trying to ferry him out of the country, or a hit squad trying to silence him permanently. For a while, rumors were going strong that Edward Norton might join the cast, leaving open the possibility of Jack Bauer getting killed at anytime and Norton's character taking over the lead.

Oh and many congrats to the 24 crew and Kiefer Sutherland for taking home the Emmys!

Groundbeef
08-30-2006, 12:33 PM
I will go back and re-read the article, but from what I recall it said that Jack is STILL behind bars in China. I am going out on a limb here, but I bet depending upon where he is jailed, the terrorist situation may have been launched or is being staged somewhere close to his location.

As the show is supposed to be "in real time" I cannot think that we would be without Bauer for 8-12 hours as he tools away his time on a return home flight.

I think that they are going to "go International" for this one. If he is close to the border it may occur in Tiwan(sp?) or Iran, or some other close country.

Could be interesting.
Any thoughts?

Woochifer
08-30-2006, 05:44 PM
I will go back and re-read the article, but from what I recall it said that Jack is STILL behind bars in China. I am going out on a limb here, but I bet depending upon where he is jailed, the terrorist situation may have been launched or is being staged somewhere close to his location.

As the show is supposed to be "in real time" I cannot think that we would be without Bauer for 8-12 hours as he tools away his time on a return home flight.

I think that they are going to "go International" for this one. If he is close to the border it may occur in Tiwan(sp?) or Iran, or some other close country.

Could be interesting.
Any thoughts?

I'm just going off of an interview with the producer immediately after the season finale. He indicated that "not much" of Day Six would take place in China. Too many logistical issues, and problems with maintaining the real time format, by having a lot of the action in China.

http://www.nypost.com/entertainment/69097.htm

Wouldn't be the first time that 24 sets up a plot premise in the season finale and does nothing with it. The assassination attempt on President Palmer at the end of Day Two, and Jack Bauer's exile at the end of Day Four changed hardly anything once the following season got underway. Palmer got a scar on his hand, and Bauer's new identity lasted all of four hours before he got reinstated at CTU.

If there's one constant with 24, it's that whatever prediction anyone might make about the storyline is usually wrong. The international storyline is something that's been speculated for the upcoming 24 movie, which probably won't be constrained by the real-time premise and TV series budget.

audiobill
08-30-2006, 07:28 PM
I can't wait for 24 to roll.

It's tv at its best.

Groundbeef
08-31-2006, 05:44 AM
I'm just going off of an interview with the producer immediately after the season finale. He indicated that "not much" of Day Six would take place in China. Too many logistical issues, and problems with maintaining the real time format, by having a lot of the action in China.

http://www.nypost.com/entertainment/69097.htm

Wouldn't be the first time that 24 sets up a plot premise in the season finale and does nothing with it. The assassination attempt on President Palmer at the end of Day Two, and Jack Bauer's exile at the end of Day Four changed hardly anything once the following season got underway. Palmer got a scar on his hand, and Bauer's new identity lasted all of four hours before he got reinstated at CTU.

If there's one constant with 24, it's that whatever prediction anyone might make about the storyline is usually wrong. The international storyline is something that's been speculated for the upcoming 24 movie, which probably won't be constrained by the real-time premise and TV series budget.

All good points. However, after re-reading the Chicago Trib story, it does indicate that Bauer " is still in prision in China after 20 months". Now unless the US pulls the Blackbird out of retirement and lands it in Red China, it will take most of the season just to get him back home. "Would you like some more peanuts or perhaps a soda Mr. Bauer?"

So it will be interesting to see how they handle the story line. Perhaps they will just ditch the whole "In Real Time B.S." It was gimmicky at the first season, and now it just makes the story less plausible. I am willing to forgo it, for a better more beliveable story line.

Woochifer
09-01-2006, 12:54 PM
All good points. However, after re-reading the Chicago Trib story, it does indicate that Bauer " is still in prision in China after 20 months". Now unless the US pulls the Blackbird out of retirement and lands it in Red China, it will take most of the season just to get him back home. "Would you like some more peanuts or perhaps a soda Mr. Bauer?"

So it will be interesting to see how they handle the story line. Perhaps they will just ditch the whole "In Real Time B.S." It was gimmicky at the first season, and now it just makes the story less plausible. I am willing to forgo it, for a better more beliveable story line.

If 24 gets rid of the real time element, they're just another serialized drama. Having everything in real time does limit the things that the writers can do, but it also creates a tension and thrill ride sensation that would otherwise be missing if the clock wasn't always ticking.

I've also read that the writers don't have the entire story arc mapped out when the season begins. They might have about eight hours roughly diagramed out, but otherwise they're pretty much making it all up as they move along. It's all a constant process of boxing themselves in, and then conjuring up new ways of busting the story along. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But, that constant teetering on the edge and sense of spontineity is what makes 24 what it is. The show would lose that edge if the writers didn't have to work around the time element. It might still be a good show, but it wouldn't be 24.

Groundbeef
09-03-2006, 02:39 PM
If 24 gets rid of the real time element, they're just another serialized drama. Having everything in real time does limit the things that the writers can do, but it also creates a tension and thrill ride sensation that would otherwise be missing if the clock wasn't always ticking.

I've also read that the writers don't have the entire story arc mapped out when the season begins. They might have about eight hours roughly diagramed out, but otherwise they're pretty much making it all up as they move along. It's all a constant process of boxing themselves in, and then conjuring up new ways of busting the story along. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But, that constant teetering on the edge and sense of spontineity is what makes 24 what it is. The show would lose that edge if the writers didn't have to work around the time element. It might still be a good show, but it wouldn't be 24.

I would disagree with your first point. The writing of the story line is what gets me, not the "time issue". I think it is plenty of suspense to see how Jack is going to save the world. I would argue that the time constraints actually work AGAINST the show and make me have less tension and thrill. For example, I live about 1 mile from the local Meijer store here in town. I CANNOT get in my car, drive over, get 1 gallon of milk, go to the self checkout, get back in the car, and drive home in less than 20 minutes. It cannot be done. However, in 20 minutes Jack can drive several miles, get knocked unconsious, get back on his feet and difuse some sort of situation. This makes the story LESS belivable. It was a great hook the first season. But now, it is more of a constraint to belivebablity.

Mr Peabody
09-03-2006, 09:14 PM
If they did away with the real time, they'd have to change the name, right? Well, maybe it would be 24 days:) You and I may not make it to the store and back in 20 minutes but we aren't Jack. Jack can be tortured to death and then break free to run down the bad guy. Remember, I think it was the second season when they were torturing him and was injected with something that was going to stop his breathing or whatever, then he got away and could run? You can't compare us armchair warriors to Jack, what's wrong with you?

Last season was pretty good. DVR's come in handy during 24 season. I don't know if it's the show or my cable system but 24, and many other network HD action dramas don't have the audio sound effects fun like watching a movie on HBO-HD. I wish they'd do 5.1 and if they do utilize it. 24 has ample opportunity to have stuff flying around my room but it don't happen. I'm reasonably sure it is 5.1, I just don't think the engineers use the sound stage the same as a movie maker would.

Groundbeef
09-04-2006, 06:09 AM
If they did away with the real time, they'd have to change the name, right? Well, maybe it would be 24 days:) You and I may not make it to the store and back in 20 minutes but we aren't Jack. Jack can be tortured to death and then break free to run down the bad guy. Remember, I think it was the second season when they were torturing him and was injected with something that was going to stop his breathing or whatever, then he got away and could run? You can't compare us armchair warriors to Jack, what's wrong with you?

Its not so much that I am comparing myself or anyone else to Jack, it is Woof's assertation that the show would somehow suffer if they were not under the time gun every second.

I just feel that in the last couple of seasons that the artificial "time gun" has ACTUALLY reduced the belivability and tension. That is all.

Mr Peabody
09-04-2006, 06:36 AM
GB, I know what you are saying, that was my attempt at humor. I don't know if changing the real time would make much difference in believability when Jack does some of the things he supposedly does. Good network entertainment anyway.

Groundbeef
09-04-2006, 02:56 PM
I can tell you one thing, I wish I got the same Sprint cellular service that guy gets. I can hardly get a signal in my house some times let alone in the basement of a concrete jungle in the middle of nowhere. Also the picture resultion on his Treo is incredible. I take a picture of my kids doing something goofy, and half the time I am unsure if its my kid later! (resolution)

Woochifer
09-05-2006, 12:21 PM
I would disagree with your first point. The writing of the story line is what gets me, not the "time issue". I think it is plenty of suspense to see how Jack is going to save the world. I would argue that the time constraints actually work AGAINST the show and make me have less tension and thrill. For example, I live about 1 mile from the local Meijer store here in town. I CANNOT get in my car, drive over, get 1 gallon of milk, go to the self checkout, get back in the car, and drive home in less than 20 minutes. It cannot be done. However, in 20 minutes Jack can drive several miles, get knocked unconsious, get back on his feet and difuse some sort of situation. This makes the story LESS belivable. It was a great hook the first season. But now, it is more of a constraint to belivebablity.

Like I said, without the time element, 24 is just another serialized drama. You take the good with the bad, but that element's pretty much central to the entire series -- even more so than the Jack Bauer character. No real time, no 24. Plenty of other serialized dramas to choose from nowadays if 24 overtaxes your suspension of disbelief.

Every week, if I choose to pick apart every scene and plot twist in 24, I'll find lapses galore. But, what fun is that? Being an LA native, I know the actual drive times between the different locations in the show. But, rather than bemoan how unrealistically 24 depicts the travel time, I'd rather just go along for the ride and enjoy the show for what it is.

Groundbeef
09-05-2006, 12:53 PM
Like I said, without the time element, 24 is just another serialized drama. You take the good with the bad, but that element's pretty much central to the entire series -- even more so than the Jack Bauer character. No real time, no 24. Plenty of other serialized dramas to choose from nowadays if 24 overtaxes your suspension of disbelief.

Every week, if I choose to pick apart every scene and plot twist in 24, I'll find lapses galore. But, what fun is that? Being an LA native, I know the actual drive times between the different locations in the show. But, rather than bemoan how unrealistically 24 depicts the travel time, I'd rather just go along for the ride and enjoy the show for what it is.

That's my point. I don't want another show. 24 is a great show with great writing However, if you are going to base the show around the idea that it is "IN REAL TIME", then do it. Why put a time limit on the action if you cannot do it in that time.

Your contention is that the time limit adds to the drama. My point is that as the plot lines get more intense the time aspect TAKES AWAY from the drama. It is no longer "REAL TIME" its now 72 hours of action squeezed into "24" hours.

Anyway to each his own. 24 is a great show. But I really cannot wait for LOST to return.
Now there is a show firmly planted in reality :)

topspeed
09-06-2006, 10:05 AM
Maybe they'll use the first hour of the premier showing how Jack escapes, a la James Bond in Die Another Day? That way they could fast forward to the present crisis.

All I know is I am soooooo happy the fall schedule is back. Was I the only one that thought the summer progamming was abysmal? I mean seriously, when the best you can do is put The Hoff on as a judge, you've got problems. I've never watched so much PBS in my life.

But now fall is back! College football, Lost, 24, Boston Legal...man, just thinking about it makes me all shiny! :D

Woochifer
09-06-2006, 11:54 AM
Maybe they'll use the first hour of the premier showing how Jack escapes, a la James Bond in Die Another Day? That way they could fast forward to the present crisis.

I thought that would be a really cool prequel for them to put into the Season Five DVD set if Jack won't spend Day Six in China. (Or maybe even do a one or two-hour movie event about how Jack escaped, doesn't even have to be in real time) But, I read that the producers don't plan to do another season-bridging DVD prequel this season like they did the last two seasons. Bummer!

Groundbeef
09-07-2006, 06:53 AM
Maybe it turns out that the captors were bumbling idiots, and Jack is currently trapped in CHINATOWN? Now that would be a twist!