Searching for headset/mic with excellent audio quality [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Searching for headset/mic with excellent audio quality

Dainis
08-30-2006, 01:52 AM
Hi all,

I've encountered a bit of a challenge. I own a pair of Sony headphones (I don't have the model number with me right now), and they weren't very expensive, but the audio quality is quite good. I realize there may be "anti-Sony" people here, and I don't want to attract such discussion. Also, there is the subjective nature of sound perception, which I accept, yet there are also measurable criteria for headphone performance (something I'd like to get more familiar with).

Also, I have a Master's Degree in Music Composition and have done work to improve my ears, so I'm confident that my ear/brain connection delivers sound perception at an above-average capacity.

So here's the challenge. With just my cheap computer microphone and my Sony headset, my Skype conversations sound remarkably good. I bought a Plantronics (I think it was a v.90) headset with mic, and I'll eventually need 3 headsets or more (work, home, wife, jogging/cell phone).

The Plantronics sound was so bad I couldn't believe it. The headset was Skype certified, and I think they adjust the EQ in those headsets for voice. Music through the headset sounded like it was passing through a crinkly piece of paper!

I spend quite a bit of time working at the computer. I make Skype calls and I listen to music, online radio, etc. If things are really bad, I'll go in and adjust the EQ in the soundcard software.

If I could try a bunch of headsets at an electronics store, things would be easier, but they are all wrapped in plastic. I'm looking for a work-headset, which I'd like to budget around $50 for (and it needs to be available in Europe). I'd be glad to buy from Ebay, if someone can make a recommendation for a reliable dealer.

It doesn't excite me to buy headsets without trying them first, which leads to my desire to learn how to get a decent understanding of how I can guage headset audio performance from the written technical descriptions. Can you recommend a source?

Ideally it would be some kind of technical description that states "X went in and Y came out," kind of like tuning a room when running live sound.

So here's a summary, I'm looking to:

Learn how to understand the technical descriptions of headset audio, so that I can make an informed decision about the audio quality of a headset without actually auditioning/trying it first
Create a short-list of possible headsets based on your recommendations
Find dealers that deliver to Austria at the best price possible

Wishing you all the very best, and it looks like AudioReview is quite the online resource, WOW!

Cheers!
Dainis

audio_dude
08-30-2006, 12:53 PM
if you're willing to use IEMs (in ear monitors) http://www.shure.com/PersonalAudio/Products/Earphones/ISeries/us_pa_i2c_content
one end hooks up to your MP3/CD player, and the other into your cellphone.

i'll keep looking for a decent headset to use at work and computer

(sorry, but its a bit 'spensive)

Dainis
09-01-2006, 04:44 AM
The work/computer headset is my current challenge. The ones with mics are all wrapped in plastic, so I'm left seeking to understand written audio specs for headphones, which I don't know how to read/understand/interpret.

--Dainis

teledynepost
09-04-2006, 07:39 AM
Well if you're going to understand written audio specs, you also have to understand which ones to pay attention to, and which ones to ignore. Depends on who issues them, etc.

Dainis
09-15-2006, 04:54 AM
Are there reseources available with concrete specs and info?