Oppo Dvd players [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Oppo Dvd players

yogo
08-29-2006, 08:13 PM
I've read mentions of them here but cannot recall them through the search function at this site or in the reviews section. Whats up with that?

Trying to decide whether to buy the original or the newer version but need some feedback on which to buy for use until the HD players wars settles down.

Jim Clark
08-30-2006, 09:22 AM
I've read mentions of them here but cannot recall them through the search function at this site or in the reviews section. Whats up with that?

Trying to decide whether to buy the original or the newer version but need some feedback on which to buy for use until the HD players wars settles down.

Depends on what you want from the player. If you want a great price on an absolutely awesome DVDP that offers upconversion that's vastly superior to anything near it's price point, go with the 971H. The other really cool selling point is that they're still offering firmware updates to continually make the player even better. The shelf life of this product is amazingly long. The only downside is DVI but an adaptor is readily available if this is a problem. IMO, this is an amazing little player that lives up to the hype that's been going on for well over a year.

If you want all the additional formats that a universal player offers, namely SACD and DVD-A and aren't so concerned about the best PQ, then I'd think that the 970HD would be the way to go. It does have the plus with HDMI but for me it really isn't an issue. I can't compare the two side by side since I have limited exposure to this model in another system. My unscientific reaction was that I was glad that I have my original OPPO.

Regards,
jc

yogo
08-30-2006, 08:11 PM
Your information given is exactly what I was looking for, the pro's and con's of each.

My Panny RP56 has died and I loved it's PQ. Will buy the OPDV971H as its chipset was manufactured by Faroudja, used in my Panasonic also. It also includes a DVI-HDMI Cable.

I have a Sony 34 inch Wega XBR tube widescreen. Disney's "The Incredibles" at 480 is incredible. It will be interesting to see if upconversion is better.

Thanks again...