Windows Vista (x32) will not support HD DVDs. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista (x32) will not support HD DVDs.

Smokey
08-29-2006, 03:20 PM
There is an uproar about Microsoft new operating system Vista (which will start shipping with new PCs in January) capability to play HD DVD discs. Natively, Vista will not support HD-DVD and Bluray without a third party software that takes care of licensing and security.

The problem here is that two version of Vista will be released (32-bit and later the 64-bit version), and third party licensing provider argue that 32-bit Vista operating system could not meet the stringent copyright protection demands of movie studios and other content providers. So no HD content will be release in 32-bit platform.

Basically as it stand, if your PC is 32-bit version (which is the most common on the market), you probably won’t be able to play DVD discs in its native format with new Vista.

And even with a 64-bit PC system, still a third party software is required.

http://www.betanews.com/article/No_HD_DVD_or_Bluray_in_32bit_Vista/1156450463

ericl
08-29-2006, 04:46 PM
Wow, that's lame, to say the least. manufacturers are just clueless, or completely hostile to consumers..

Smokey
08-29-2006, 06:08 PM
That is a bummer.

I thought since Microsoft directly suuport HD-DVD instead of Bluray, at least new oprating system will be compatible with HD-DVD. But apparently not.

Not only one need the third party software, but also a new 64-bit computer :mad2:

Sir Terrence the Terrible
08-30-2006, 07:20 AM
Smoke,
I actually read that the rep who made this claim was wrong. From what I understand third party HD DVD/Bluray developers like Cyberlink will have to make playback software available for Vista, Microsoft will not do it themselves. They will have to determine if the environment is suitable for what content providers demand(proper encryption and DRM for copy protection).

kexodusc
08-30-2006, 07:42 AM
Not sure this is even a big deal? Presumably, you have to buy HD-DVD hardware - that hardware should rely on manufacturer software/drivers. No problem.
I suspect if this ever has any impact what so ever, there'll be a super-fast Windows update anyway.
FWIW, Vista is just resource chewin' eye candy for the most part anyway. I've been using it for almost a year. I won't buy it until they make me!

basite
08-30-2006, 08:22 AM
next stop: Linux, made by people who can actually spell operating system, instead of the morons at microsoft

ericl
08-30-2006, 09:08 AM
Not sure this is even a big deal? Presumably, you have to buy HD-DVD hardware - that hardware should rely on manufacturer software/drivers. No problem.
I suspect if this ever has any impact what so ever, there'll be a super-fast Windows update anyway.
FWIW, Vista is just resource chewin' eye candy for the most part anyway. I've been using it for almost a year. I won't buy it until they make me!

I'm thinking about all the HTPC's out there running on Windows Media Center.. Maybe I'm no understanding this correctly, but I take it to mean that you will not be able to swap a new HD-DVD drive into your HTPC because it's not 64bit.. What a turnoff. These guys seem to really be in the business of just screwing us. I'm with Basite, bring on Linux! I should set up a machine with it..

kexodusc
08-30-2006, 09:32 AM
Yeah...the only thing I like about my Linux machine is it's not windows...Ugh...
I suspect it's all just a driver/firmware thing. Windows won't supply that, which is by no means an industry first. If the company who makes the drive supplies the driver (most do), it's no big deal. I have a few drivers in my Windows machine not signed by microsoft, they work fine.

If the article does in fact mean a 32-bit OS is incapable of supporting HD-DVD (can't imagine how a workaround wouldn't be possible) then the anti-piracy nazis have pulled another fast one on us.
Oh well, at least Intel would start pushing 64-bit if HD-DVD took off

basite
08-30-2006, 09:59 AM
. I have a few drivers in my Windows machine not signed by microsoft, they work fine.

this just means that microsoft didn't make them, practically every driver out there exept for the plug and play things, and even for them, you (can) do upgrades which are not made by microsoft. my guess about not being able to play hd-dvd or blu ray is just for the first release (retail), i guess they'll build it in in some crappy service pack which makes your pc even more buggy, just like xp (retail) and hdd drives bigger then 120gigs, you had to install service pack 1 or 2 before windows could use the full capacity of the hdd.