Mordaunt Short Avant 902 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Mordaunt Short Avant 902

musicismypassion
08-29-2006, 07:38 AM
Does anybody have experience with these bookshelf speakers? There is no dealer in my area so I won't be able to listen to them. But right now on accessories4less.com they are on clearance for $199 a pair brand new. My main concern is how they perform in 2 channel stereo. Considering a Marantz SR4600 receiver with them. Any knowledge about these speakers is appreciated.

http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/item/MORDAV902B

musicismypassion
08-29-2006, 10:02 PM
No replies? Nobody has experience with these speakers?

musicismypassion
08-30-2006, 02:06 PM
Come on guys. Surely someone has some input here. There are lots of knowledgeable people that have experience with these speakers i'm sure. They are on sale right now for an excellent price and since I can't hear them I would like to know opininons of their sound, good or bad. Thanks.

2chAlex
08-30-2006, 08:42 PM
Just aware of the name no first hand knowledge. Was just wondering if you gave up on the Boston Acoustics or still comparing?

musicismypassion
08-30-2006, 09:43 PM
Thanks for replying Alex. No, I have not given up on the BA's. I am still comparing. Any other suggestions?

2chAlex
08-30-2006, 10:37 PM
Kinda refresh me on your intent. Seems to be bookshelf for music and occasional video? Are you going to be using a sub, budget. As you know from the forum speakers decision relies on your ears, but I'd be more than glad to suggest as I'm sure others will.

musicismypassion
08-30-2006, 10:49 PM
You are correct. I will be listening to music more than watching movies so 2 channel sound is paramount. I had been looking at HK but I've pretty much decided I'm going with Marantz for the receiver. My budget for a pair of bookshelf speakers preferrably would be to keep it around $700 or under.

JoeE SP9
08-31-2006, 09:15 AM
I haven't heard any recent Mordaunt Short products. A couple of years ago a buddy bought a pair of their small bookshelfs. I don't remember the model but they were $500 a pair. The had very nice sound, better than the next model up we thought and the cabinets weren't half bad. They accepted bi-wiring/bi-amping. On decent stands with a sub woofer they were more than acceptable. I liked them and my buddie was happy with them until he blew the tweeters playing Nirvana at lease breaking levels. He was using an Adcom GFA-545. I think he drove the amp into clipping and consequently killed the tweeters. This would seem to indicate they could have used even more power.:cool:

Driving an amp into clipping is almost the only reason you blow tweeters. Too much power blows woofers.:ihih:

nightflier
08-31-2006, 01:45 PM
They are highly reviewed and can be had on eBay (new) for a good price. Never heard them though. Try one of the British / European discussions, they probably have more experience with them.

braminator
09-05-2006, 07:26 AM
I use the Mordaunt short
MS502thx in fronts
MS504thx center
MS506thx rears
I love these speakers. They are a little laid back compaired to my Ushers, but they are sweet. If you use them for Movies they simply amaze me. Music sounds best when in five channel mode but that depends on your listening choice. I listen to classic rock and metal. They ROCK:7: :6: :23:

accastil
09-05-2006, 08:11 AM
I use the Mordaunt short
MS502thx in fronts
MS504thx center
MS506thx rears
I love these speakers. They are a little laid back compaired to my Ushers, but they are sweet. If you use them for Movies they simply amaze me. Music sounds best when in five channel mode but that depends on your listening choice. I listen to classic rock and metal. They ROCK:7: :6: :23:
what components do you use to drive our MSes?

braminator
09-05-2006, 08:15 AM
I am using a Pioneer Elite 56txi receiver. It has bi amp capibilities, so I am bi amping the 502 fronts. They take many many hours to break in though. They are dull and not very exciting until they break in. IMO for the price you can not beat them. I bought the whole speaker packagae from the same company you are looking to buy from. They are easy to deal with. Just remember to give them time to break in before you form your opinion.

accastil
09-12-2006, 02:55 AM
i own a pair of 502's as well and i find them dull sounding especially on large rooms. you see what makes them really sing are cambridge audio and/or marantz components. CA and marantz sounds bright and therefore compensating for the dullness of the MS502's. besides, it is what the manufacturers would really recommend you to use. my 502's now uses cambridge audio azur 540C CD player, marantz SR4500 receiver, and a 250Wpc clone power amplifier.