Anybody Buying the New LOTR, Star Wars Repackages? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Buying the New LOTR, Star Wars Repackages?

Defshep
08-29-2006, 03:42 AM
Two of Sci-fi/Fantasy's biggest franchises appear to be equally as greedy. With George Lucas finally releasing the original theatrical (sort of) versions of A New Hope, Empire, and Jedi (complete with the updated versions in a two-disc set for each), and Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings triple dip (featuring the extended and theatrical versions in one collection), is it too much of what we already have? There are pros for each, the most obvious being able to own the '93 versions of SW on dvd. The LOTR set offers a new documentary, but it also sacrifices the dts track for a branching effect between theatrical and extended versions on dual sided discs. Oh, and the covers are really pretty! Looks
like I'll have to pick up Star Wars (damn you, George!), but I will sell the originally released trilogy. At least I can have some of my money back! I'll pass on LOTR, though. I already own both versions, and there's simply not enough incentive to buy them again.

kexodusc
08-29-2006, 03:59 AM
I'll get Star Wars since it's the version that should have been released first...but I was really disappointed with the LOTR extended stuff...I'll pass.

Rock&Roll Ninja
08-29-2006, 02:16 PM
Too late, I've seen HD-DVD (and Blu*Ray, but this arguement doesn't require a debate as to which is better, I'm just making a blanket statement and HD-DVD is more widely recognized) and have stopped buying DVDs alltogether.

Its just like buying a cassette tape. You know it's already outdated.

Woochifer
08-29-2006, 03:02 PM
For anyone who already has the previous two LOTR sets, the new set adds nothing, except the new documentary and the cool limited edition art work. It really comes down to whether or not you want a brand new first-person perspective documentary to go with the 80+ hours of documentaries and commentary tracks that came with the theatrical and extended releases. It might also appeal to people who only got the theatrical DVDs and are curious about the extended editions, since the street price on the first week of release will probably be $15.

I question though whether the seamless branching approach will work given how heavily the extended editions reedited the original theatrical cuts. In several places, entire scenes and sequences changed, along with the score.

Star Wars I think is the bigger rip-job because apparently a lot of things like deleted scenes from the original trilogy were left out of the original trilogy DVD release, but are now rumored for inclusion in the 30th anniversary boxed set next year. But, between now and that 30th anniversary set, you have this abysmal "limited edition" release of the original trilogy coming out next month, which will feature nonanamorphic versions of the unaltered theatrical cuts with 2.0 surround soundtracks.

And there's still the issue with the farked up audio (i.e., the surround channel reversal) on the Star Wars DVD from the original trilogy release. No telling if the upcoming limited edition DVD will fix that audio problem, which was inexcusable because it was perfectly avoidable. Lucasfilm addressed the many complaints about the audio by saying that it was an artistic decision (right, and how many other recording engineers out there purposely reverse the L and R surround channels when mixing music soundtracks because they want to be "artistic"?).

At least LOTR came out with two comprehensive DVD sets that had no overlap with the supplemental features, and very different cuts of the movie. I don't get the impression that Peter Jackson purposely held anything back, since they announced from the very beginning that two DVD releases would accompany each movie. The extended DVD editions are about as comprehensive as anyone could ask for with a DVD release, with top notch audio and video quality.

The original Star Wars trilogy was a very different story.

paul_pci
08-29-2006, 03:48 PM
What I want is the extended version trilogy of LOTR, but I'm waiting for it to come down to about $60. Won't buy the upcoming Star Wars but I wouldn't be surprised if I did buy next years complete 30th anniversary set of the Star Wars films.

musicman1999
08-29-2006, 04:49 PM
sorry george

6 vcr tapes and 6 dvd is enough.Maybe some future hd format disc,well upgrade that to a likely,oh damn hurry it up will ya,lets get this hd format thing straightened out allready and lets get to the business of watching high-def films on dvd.

bill

Smokey
08-29-2006, 05:16 PM
Star Wars I think is the bigger rip-job because apparently a lot of things like deleted scenes from the original trilogy were left out of the original trilogy DVD release, but are now rumored for inclusion in the 30th anniversary boxed set next year. But, between now and that 30th anniversary set, you have this abysmal "limited edition" release of the original trilogy coming out next month, which will feature nonanamorphic versions of the unaltered theatrical cuts with 2.0 surround soundtracks.

And let me guess...one year after the 30th anniversary bix set release, a pan-n-scan version with with dolby 1.0 will be released for those with nastalgic heart :D

Is George Lucas turning into a money whore or what ?!?

Woochifer
08-29-2006, 06:59 PM
What I want is the extended version trilogy of LOTR, but I'm waiting for it to come down to about $60. Won't buy the upcoming Star Wars but I wouldn't be surprised if I did buy next years complete 30th anniversary set of the Star Wars films.

I would guess that you could easily find the extended trilogy for around that price used. The theatrical cut DVDs for LOTR are very easy to find for cheap, new or used. You should also keep your eyes peeled for periodic sales at Fry's or Best Buy if they're looking to clean out their inventory of these titles (I know that Fry's has sold the gift sets for around $30 before).

bobsticks
08-30-2006, 05:53 AM
...perched on the fence

superpanavision70mm
08-30-2006, 06:13 AM
I think that everyone should boycott both!

paul_pci
08-30-2006, 09:24 AM
I would guess that you could easily find the extended trilogy for around that price used. The theatrical cut DVDs for LOTR are very easy to find for cheap, new or used. You should also keep your eyes peeled for periodic sales at Fry's or Best Buy if they're looking to clean out their inventory of these titles (I know that Fry's has sold the gift sets for around $30 before).

I was just at Fry's last week and picked up Ferris Bueller for $5.99! Yeah, I can get the trilogy separately through Amazon for about $65, but I'm biding my time for the right price, as I don't feel like I'm in a rush to grab it. Plus I'm pretty much outta storage room.

Defshep
08-30-2006, 09:59 AM
Dunno if you have an FYE near you. They've got the used extended versions separately for $15 each. The DTS audio rocks.

paul_pci
08-30-2006, 01:18 PM
Dunno if you have an FYE near you. They've got the used extended versions separately for $15 each. The DTS audio rocks.

I don't think so, but that's exactly why I want the extended version, that and the video is supposed to be better.