I need input on my speaker design plans. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I need input on my speaker design plans.

punkrokr1701
08-26-2006, 09:24 PM
Ok, I'm kinda new at this but I'm planning to build my own set of speaker cabinets. I'm planning at putting two 12" subwoofers, two 12" inch woofers, two 6" mid bass drivers, and three 3 3/4" titanium tweeters in each cabinet. Ambitous, yes, but I'm only 14 so why not.

Anyway, these are the parts I'm looking at using to build my cabinets.

Hifonics Brutus subwoofers rated 600 watts rms / 1200 watts peak and they come in 2 ohm and 4 ohm versions.
Pyle PYM1298 woofers rated 600 watts rms / 1200 watts peak at 8 ohm.
Pyle PDMW6 mid bass drivers rated 125 watts rms / 250 watts peak at 8 ohm.
And Pyle PDBT18 titanium tweeters rated 200 watts rms / 400 watts peak at 4 to 8 ohm.

Now these ratings are per speaker and they are only what the companies that make them claim. Totaled each cab would have a rating of 2900 watts rms / 6100 watts peak.

As for powering these beasts I was thinking about installing two DJ power amplifiers on each cabinet. I'm looking at some Gli Pro amplifiers that claim a 4000 watt rating each which I seriously doubt at a price of $250 each. But assuming they are no good I was also eyeballing a set of Pyle DJ amps that seem more realistic with an output rating of 3000 watts each at $350 apiece.

Now I know there are audio addicts out there that know all of this stuff like the back of their hand and know about these brands and their reputation so that's why I put up the companies name and model #. I'd like to know about what these parts are actually about if they really are a steal or if I'm gonna be pissed when they turn out to be an expensive pile of junk.
And if you know of anything better or have any suggestions as to what I should buy please let me know.For example would I'd be better off getting the 2 ohm or 4 ohm version of the sub. I figure the 4 ohm sub is what I should get.

Also, I'm also wondering if I could just use a DJ crossover for my cabs and if so would I need one or two and if a Behringer CX2310 3 way mono crossover would work for me.

Also would I need anything else to set up my cabs besides the terminals, wiring, and ports?

Any input will help me out but keep in mind I'm not looking at spending anything more than $2500 on this. If I didn't give enough info sorry, like I said I'm new at this.

I want these speakers to blow anything my friends got out of the water and the reason I'm using car audio brands is because it's much cheaper and I'm lookin for power more than sound qaulity.

Thanx.

jtgofish
08-27-2006, 05:33 AM
For home use you should try to use 8 ohm speakers.Many amplifiers will die trying to drive low impedence woofers.
If you wire 4ohm speakers in parallel[2 ohm]you are really asking for trouble.

More is usually not better.

Why not look at kit speakers.Look at Madisound for example.
You cannot just cobble speakers together and hope they will work as a whole.And forget about power ratings.This only indicates the power they can handle-not how loud they go.
100 watts into most speakers will give all the loudness you could ever need-especially if they are sensitive.

N. Abstentia
08-27-2006, 07:19 AM
I think before you start this (by the way I think it's great you want to build your own speakers...that's how I got started!) you need to learn some basic acoustic priciples. Start with impedances and actual power ratings for speakers. Those power ratings are rediculously high, almost to the point of being comical.

You'll also find out that car speakers don't work so well in the house. Also, it's not a good idea to put subwoofers in the same cabinets as the rest of the speakers.

Sounds like a neat project, I'm just not sure if I would use car speakers. Check out www.partsexpess.com for better speakers to use.

punkrokr1701
08-27-2006, 08:40 AM
Well, I have gonna over the basics of speakers, impedance, sensitivity and all that and actually the only car audio related item I looking at is the subwoofers. The tweeters, woofers, and mid bass drivers are all 8 ohm. And all the speakers, besides the subwoofers have a sensitivity rating at or above 100db so they are pretty loud.
And I plan to seperate the subwoofers from the rest of the cabinet so they don't add stress to the rest of the speakers.

jocko_nc
08-27-2006, 12:11 PM
Like someone else said, more is not necessarily better...

Quality drivers. Quality crossover. Proper design. Anything else is just piling on. On the other hand, I'm sure it would be loud.

jocko

N. Abstentia
08-27-2006, 04:14 PM
Yeah I guess you need to figure out exactly what you're trying to accomplish.

Do you want loud, or do you want good? If you want loud, knock yourself out. If you want good, I can destroy that setup with a pair of 6" woofers, a pair of tweeters, and a 12" powered sub :)

audio_dude
08-27-2006, 05:36 PM
LOL

why not build a 3-way design?

4x12" woofer? are you mad? those things will be absolutly massive! almost as big as Flo's apogee grands!!!

my advice, take a look at Cerwin-Vega, or for that matter any 3-way from the 70's or 80's, put in a tweeter, midrange, and a 12" woofer driver.

punkrokr1701
08-27-2006, 05:59 PM
What I'm trying to accomplish is enough bass power to rock the house in two and a set of cabinets that looks monsterous.
And right now I'm not interested in any thing else. But in the future I probably will build a set of smaller speakers with more quality parts for better sound.

jocko_nc
08-28-2006, 06:52 AM
If you want loud, I'd look at pro audio components. That is basically what you will be building, a PA rig like a band would use. If you haven't found them yet, go to partsexpress.com for all the hardware, etc. I'd buy drivers from them, too. Make sure your driver selections have enough mid output. Good pro audio drivers will have a wide frequenct range.

One point. As big as these things will be, you will want to cover with vinyl of carpet. I would not want to try to paint or veneer such a thing.

One other point. Use plywood versus MDF. It is stronger and a lot lighter.

Oh yea. Please don't move next door to me...

jocko

audio_dude
08-28-2006, 08:24 AM
oh well, but don't put three friggin tweeters in the thing, maybe try this:

2 tweeters, 2 midranges and 1 woofer, and 1 subwoofer

PS: you might want to post something on the DIY page too...

Feanor
08-28-2006, 08:39 AM
Bigger is not necessarily better, although it might be louder. :biggrin5:

But to get down to your case, a single cabinet per side is grossly impractical I would say. First, there is now practical way, (for an amateur at least), to design the single cabinet that will accomodate both the 12" woofers and the subwoofers -- they will have conflicting requirements. Secondly the cabinet is likely to be very large which means not only too difficult to build, but also difficult or impossible to move if you should ever hope to do so. At least build two separate cabinets for the subs and the other components. The 6" mids will need their own sub-enclosure too.

audio_dude
08-28-2006, 09:14 AM
like i said, go SIMPLE!!!

get a nice huge bass driver, a midrange and a tweeter, you can rock the house, be able to move them... and it might produce something resembling "music"

noddin0ff
08-28-2006, 11:36 AM
you could start here...
http://www.partsexpress.com/projectshowcase/magna/index.html

poneal
08-28-2006, 11:58 AM
http://home.stx.rr.com/poneal/pdfs/Rs225MDM5522TAFg.pdf

Around 90db efficient and full range. I drive them with a 250wpc pro Yamaha amp and it can take it all with flinching :) as long as the signal is clean.

JoeE SP9
08-28-2006, 01:50 PM
What I'm trying to accomplish is enough bass power to rock the house in two and a set of cabinets that looks monsterous.
And right now I'm not interested in any thing else. But in the future I probably will build a set of smaller speakers with more quality parts for better sound.

Why would you ask for advice if you're not going to take it. If you want a system as loud and horrible as the ones that have four wheels asking here was a waste of time. This site is about what Cerwin Vega claims they are. Loud is good is long as it's clean and clear. What you are proposing is neither of those. :ihih:

audio_dude
08-28-2006, 02:30 PM
LOL

the number one rule of speaker building for amatures: K>I>S>S : KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID!!!

jrhymeammo
08-28-2006, 02:30 PM
If you desire to out-do/one up on your friends' speakers by Size and SPL, you oshould consider JBL Pro series and others that are comparable. There are many options for you. You can get a dual 18" subs for around $800 each or get two 18" subs for around $500 each for each channel. Or maybe have'em all in a same cabinet with a set of massive stands. Somem like these http://www.musiciansbuy.com/JBL_SRX738_18IN_3WAY_System_with_Free_SRX738.html

http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--MACSA1532Z

Powered/Active monitors might be the way for you.

I understand that you wanna blow away the entire neighborhood. That sounds like soooooo much fun since I do not live anywhere near you. What is the size of room your speakers will be pumping in?

hermanv
08-28-2006, 04:11 PM
OK so how loud is loud? Speakers are almost always rated as xx dB per watt at 1 meter.

Take an example, many speakers are rated at 87dB/watt. Now loudness doubles for each 3 dB you add. So, 115 dB is damn loud (jet plane at 50 feet) but you're young and a little crazy so why not go for 118dB (twice as loud)? ps. You will be stone deaf after a few hours.

So that is 31 dB above 1 watt or 1250 watts, please understand that in spite of advertising claims there is no such thing as a 12" speaker that can actually dissapate 1250 watts (think of one of those 1000 watt electric room heaters. Where would that much heat go? The voice coil is much smaller than that room heater heating element and there's no fan, have you ever seen a speaker glow red?

You are caught in a haze of numbers, heaped on by car audio makers who alway strech the truth past imagining. Before you invest time and money learn more. You can ask here or on other sites.

Even if you build it, you will find that showing off looses interest of everyone involved in a matter of minutes. And no, the women will be impressed least of all.

PHiX
08-28-2006, 04:27 PM
You're 14 and have $2500 to spend on building home made crappy but noisy neighbor bullies? Damn... when I was at that age buying a Nintendo game was a big expenditure. Teenagers are really getting spoiled these days.

While it's an insane amount of money to spend at such a young age, it just proves that teenagers dont have any rational logic in spending it, since you end up with garbage while you could get something great for that amount.

If you'd be my son I'd cancel your weekly allowance right away. :p

Get two of these if loud is what you want. Insert one end in each ear canal and just rock.

http://www.biglrentals.com/images/jackhammer.jpg

SlumpBuster
08-28-2006, 07:14 PM
At $2500 and only 14, get one of these. You can thank me later. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1985-CHEVROLET-CAMARO-Z-28-T-TOPS-NO-RESERVE_W0QQitemZ290022933430QQihZ019QQcategoryZ61 61QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

punkrokr1701
08-28-2006, 07:24 PM
Lol,
I for one agree that the ladies would consider it worthless racket, but my girlfriend thinks it's an awesome idea and completely backs me up in this, matter of fact she's actually offering to help me with them. What are the odds?

Well, I guess I was being stubborn about this. Thanx for the input though. What I think I'll do is go a pro audio store and find exactly what I'm looking for as far as sound. An like you said bigger isn't always better so I'm gonna down size and start simple being I'm only a newbie at this stuff.

I think I'm gonna find a 15" subwoofer with tone put in in a ported side firing design a the base of each cabinet. Then I think I'll pair up two 10" woofers, and top it off with a powerul mid-range and and titanium tweeter. So for now I'm going to check out the Buttkicker tactical transducers at the pro audio store and probably install one of those babies in "my" personal recliner for that shake I'm looking for.

I guess this way I'll have some experience before I rush into building a gaint pair of cabinets that are I've blueprinted to be almost 7ft tall and find myself stumped with a half built pair of 300lb speakers.

But don't think I'm not gonna build them.Like I said I will continue on with plans but first I think it'll be a little wise to start out smaller so I'll have so I'll know what I'm doing when I tackle this project.

And, just for the record I hardly ever turn my current system up past - 20db with music, and -10db for movies so I'm not as concerned about SPL ratings I just want something that is gonna bump hard.

And the reason I was looking for bass power more than than something that sounds good is because my current system is a pair of 80's syle Sony 240 watt 3- ways for the rear, two newer Panasonic 3-ways from my first radio on the side, a 5" 160 watt powered subwoofer, and a pair of Skyline AD-900SL Denmark Series Professional Loudspeakers leading my system, which I got for $400 for the pair, a steal compared to their $1800 retail a peice. I power his with a Denon 7.1 channel A/V reciever which feeds 130 watts per channel. So I've got plenty of quality sound in my system, now I just want some power behind it.

Like I said I'm gonna build the 7ft cabinets,
as soon as I have more understanding of how to process works.

punkrokr1701
08-28-2006, 07:27 PM
Oh and I earned every bit of the $2500 myself from working my ass off in the blistering heat, so I damn well deserve to spend this money how I like.

punkrokr1701
08-28-2006, 07:29 PM
And SlumpBuster I already have my own car, it's a black 65 Mustang Fastback with a 392 and an E2 bodtkit.

Which I also earned myself. :)

bubslewis
08-28-2006, 07:46 PM
Oh and I earned every bit of the $2500 myself from working my ass off in the blistering heat, so I damn well deserve to spend this money how I like.

You tell em' punkrokr. Just cause some of these guys are old enough to be your grandfather doesn't mean they should act like one.

On the other hand..... I'm old enough to be your grandfather also. I've never built a speaker myself before, but from the description you gave in your original post, I'd offer this advice - Get all the info you can on what you want to do from as many sources as possible. Do this BEFORE you go out and spend your hard earned $$$.

JoeE SP9
08-29-2006, 07:14 AM
And SlumpBuster I already have my own car, it's a black 65 Mustang Fastback with a 392 and an E2 bodtkit.

Which I also earned myself. :)

When was the engine changed?:sleep:

JoeE SP9
08-29-2006, 07:57 AM
Lol,
I for one agree that the ladies would consider it worthless racket, but my girlfriend thinks it's an awesome idea and completely backs me up in this, matter of fact she's actually offering to help me with them. What are the odds?

Well, I guess I was being stubborn about this. Thanx for the input though. What I think I'll do is go a pro audio store and find exactly what I'm looking for as far as sound. An like you said bigger isn't always better so I'm gonna down size and start simple being I'm only a newbie at this stuff.

I think I'm gonna find a 15" subwoofer with tone put in in a ported side firing design a the base of each cabinet. Then I think I'll pair up two 10" woofers, and top it off with a powerul mid-range and and titanium tweeter. So for now I'm going to check out the Buttkicker tactical transducers at the pro audio store and probably install one of those babies in "my" personal recliner for that shake I'm looking for.

I guess this way I'll have some experience before I rush into building a gaint pair of cabinets that are I've blueprinted to be almost 7ft tall and find myself stumped with a half built pair of 300lb speakers.

But don't think I'm not gonna build them.Like I said I will continue on with plans but first I think it'll be a little wise to start out smaller so I'll have so I'll know what I'm doing when I tackle this project.

And, just for the record I hardly ever turn my current system up past - 20db with music, and -10db for movies so I'm not as concerned about SPL ratings I just want something that is gonna bump hard.

And the reason I was looking for bass power more than than something that sounds good is because my current system is a pair of 80's syle Sony 240 watt 3- ways for the rear, two newer Panasonic 3-ways from my first radio on the side, a 5" 160 watt powered subwoofer, and a pair of Skyline AD-900SL Denmark Series Professional Loudspeakers leading my system, which I got for $400 for the pair, a steal compared to their $1800 retail a peice. I power his with a Denon 7.1 channel A/V reciever which feeds 130 watts per channel. So I've got plenty of quality sound in my system, now I just want some power behind it.

Like I said I'm gonna build the 7ft cabinets,
as soon as I have more understanding of how to process works.

I believe you are confusing some of the terms you are using. Power is a rating of how much power in Watts your amplifier or receiver puts out. Speaker power ratings mean how much power a given speaker can handle before breaking. Speakers do not have power. Speakers use power. The level in (decibels) DB's (ie:volume) of a speaker depends on the efficiency. Most of the time this is listed as the db's per Watt (input power) per meter (measuring distance). The -20 or -10db levels you are referring to have no real meaning because they're not referenced to anything. -20 db from what absolute level? If you are interested in knowing how loud something is get a Radio Shack SPL (Sound Pressure Level) meter. The Rat Shack meter or a meter from another manufacturer is the only way you can measure sound levels in db's.
If all you want is buttkickin' bass go to www.parts-express.com (http://www.parts-express.com) and get 2 of their 15" Titanic subwoofers with amplifier kits. That should give you enough bass to make your liver quiver.:cornut:

BTW the speakers you refer to (Skyline AD-900SL) are known around here as "White Van" speakers!:ihih: Check the web for references to "White Van" speakers.
Do you know anyone who has decent gear? If so please give their stuff a listen.:)

punkrokr1701
08-29-2006, 12:53 PM
the -20db is the reading on my reciever, it goes from -80, the quitest to +10 the loudest.

Off Subject:
I changed out the engine not long ago and put added basic bolt on's, she runs a 13.3 et on street tires and 12.8 on slicks.Hhorsepower is around 400 at the wheels. :)

and by "whitevan" speaker do you mean it's one of those pair that you get when a mysterious whitevan pulls up beside you and they ask you if you want a pair of speakers? If so what does that mean, I didn't like get ripped off or something, did I? I'm p***ed if I did.

So I did some research and what do you know first link I hit and I realized I've been scammed, truthfully I haven't hooked up the "Skylines" because I was waiting to get some better wiring because right now I'm running off of my dad's old cables from the 80's. Once I read the thread about the scam I was really f***** mad so I pulled out all my wiring found the best gauge cables I had took out the speakers hooked them up and guess what the subwoofers are blown, all they do is hiss, and after some more inspection, I hadn't really messed with these speakers much since I got them, I found the tweeter was silver painted paper and I tapped the drivers with my fingers and they make a scratching sound. Now that I'm p***** I went ahead and took apart the cabinets and found the whole thing is wired in series using cheap 24 gauge wiring.

Well, there's nothing I can do about it now so I had my dad inspect the materails of the cabinet ( he's worked with wood for 40 years ) and it turns out the cabinet were actually made out of boston cherry wood, whatever that is. So I got my thought together and I realized, "Hey, I got a pair of cabinets, why not start off with them?" so I'm gonna replace components in the cabinet and make them my first project so now I got somethin to build.
Later on I'll take the cabinet down to the pro audio store and see what I can do with them. But my plans are to put a 12" powered sub where the pos 10" was, replace the drivers and tweeter with a titanium tweeter and dual 7 inch mid-bass drivers.

But I still enjoy the input from my orignal post.
Thanx guys, you're all awesome.

Dusty Chalk
08-30-2006, 09:47 AM
But my plans are to put a 12" powered sub where the pos 10" was, replace the drivers and tweeter with a titanium tweeter and dual 7 inch mid-bass drivers.Well, it's not that simple. Enclosures are typically designed for specific characteristics in their drivers and crossovers (all three need to be taken into account at once).

But still, you got a nice cabinet, it might be a nice idea to start with that, I agree.

JoeE SP9
08-30-2006, 10:44 AM
the -20db is the reading on my reciever, it goes from -80, the quitest to +10 the loudest.

Off Subject:
I changed out the engine not long ago and put added basic bolt on's, she runs a 13.3 et on street tires and 12.8 on slicks.Hhorsepower is around 400 at the wheels. :)

and by "whitevan" speaker do you mean it's one of those pair that you get when a mysterious whitevan pulls up beside you and they ask you if you want a pair of speakers? If so what does that mean, I didn't like get ripped off or something, did I? I'm p***ed if I did.

So I did some research and what do you know first link I hit and I realized I've been scammed, truthfully I haven't hooked up the "Skylines" because I was waiting to get some better wiring because right now I'm running off of my dad's old cables from the 80's. Once I read the thread about the scam I was really f***** mad so I pulled out all my wiring found the best gauge cables I had took out the speakers hooked them up and guess what the subwoofers are blown, all they do is hiss, and after some more inspection, I hadn't really messed with these speakers much since I got them, I found the tweeter was silver painted paper and I tapped the drivers with my fingers and they make a scratching sound. Now that I'm p***** I went ahead and took apart the cabinets and found the whole thing is wired in series using cheap 24 gauge wiring.

Well, there's nothing I can do about it now so I had my dad inspect the materails of the cabinet ( he's worked with wood for 40 years ) and it turns out the cabinet were actually made out of boston cherry wood, whatever that is. So I got my thought together and I realized, "Hey, I got a pair of cabinets, why not start off with them?" so I'm gonna replace components in the cabinet and make them my first project so now I got somethin to build.
Later on I'll take the cabinet down to the pro audio store and see what I can do with them. But my plans are to put a 12" powered sub where the pos 10" was, replace the drivers and tweeter with a titanium tweeter and dual 7 inch mid-bass drivers.

But I still enjoy the input from my orignal post.
Thanx guys, you're all awesome.

You would be much better of if you simply replaced the drivers in those cabinets without changing the woofer size. If you also replaced the crossovers you might end up with something that is not bad. Using pro-sound speakers may work but you would be better of using drivers designed for home use. The only thing most pro speakers have going for them is ruggedness, They are not known for sounding very good. www.parts-express.com (http://www.parts-express.com) is a good place to start when buying drivers. The receiver you have would be more than adequate driving those boxes with better drivers. If you match things properly you could get bass response to around 35hz.:cool:

I hope you are not confusing punch with bass. The lowest note on an electric bass is 41hz. The only music that goes lower is pipe organ and electronic. If you are looking for that thump/thud you hear at clubs and concerts be advised that is not bass.
Almost any speaker can produce that by boosting the level around 100hz or so.:ihih:

Sorry about you getting ripped off. Someone had to point it out to you. I tried to do it the nicest way.:mad5:

PS: A sub woofer is a speaker in a separate box usually self powered that is added to an existing speaker system. In the audio world most sub woofers work from 75hz or so down. Many only work as high as 50 or 60hz. A 12" woofer in a speaker system is not a sub woofer. It is simply a woofer. I realize that in car audio terms almost any 12" speaker in a box is considered a sub woofer. The truth is most car stereo gear sucks big time!:cornut:

Florian
08-30-2006, 01:53 PM
I hope you are not confusing punch with bass. The lowest note on an electric bass is 41hz. The only music that goes lower is pipe organ and electronic.

Thats why the bass panels on the Grand only do 70Hz to 250Hz :)

Rock789
09-12-2006, 06:07 PM
my friends and I have built many many speaker enclosures (both home and car)
my friend rob has a very nice sounding 3 way for his 2channel system...
he got a blown set of 3 ways from a garage sale for $5...
got new 12s from some area audio store, and radio shack mids and tweets... (back when radio shack stocked speakers... the ones by me haven't done this in years)
he ended up having a pair of very nice sound 3ways for ~$150...
as for subs...
I built a sweet home sub out of an old rockford fosgate the punch 18"...
kicks butt for parties! and this cost me a total of ~$150

if you want to build your speakers, go to it! it is hella fun and even if they don't sound as good as thoes jm lab's ... you have the pride of building them yourself!

on the opposite side... if you want to save some time & effert, see if you can find an old set of speakers for really cheap... then just upgrade the speakers...it worked great for rob's system... (and yes he does still use them...)

dmb_fan
09-13-2006, 11:54 AM
This might be the best site out there on speaker design:
http://www.linkwitzlab.com/

Since you already have a pair of speakers and you obviously love bass, you're first project should probably be the Thor subwoofer:
http://www.linkwitzlab.com/thor-intro.htm

My guess is that by the time you build one and hook it up, you'll realize this is all the bass you'll ever need. But there's no harm in building two. They're cheap, and since they're designed by Siegfried Linkwitz, they should be among the best subwoofers available.

If this project is successful, build a pair of the Phoenix:
http://www.linkwitzlab.com/builtown.htm

A pair of Phoenix speakers with a pair of Thor subwoofers will BLOW AWAY you're planned 7' tall speakers in SPL as well as sound quality. Besides, you'll actually have to learn something about building speakers rather than just putting a bunch of big drivers in a box and turning up the volume.

Best wishes,
Adam

Steve Burger
09-25-2006, 10:23 PM
Give me an email at steven.burger@comcast.net. I have a pretty good assortment of drivers in addition to a connection with a couple of manufacturers. I can also give you some advice in terms of what to use that will blow the doors off what you are planning on using. What you really need are horns for what you are trying to accomplish. A decent pro driver at an extremely reasonable price are those made by Eminence. I think you can accomplish what you are trying to get done for a lot less than $2500. If you are a little open- minded you can accomplish good and loud at the same time.

46minaudio
09-28-2006, 07:55 AM
Give these a look also...
http://www.partsexpress.com/projectshowcase/blue/index.html

Resident Loser
09-28-2006, 09:53 AM
...where you step guys...it's gettin' purty deep...

White van speakers made of cherry? I don't think so...it's a relatively expensive hardwood...vinyl-clad flake-board is more like it...BTW, there is no variety known as Boston cherry, although Axiom stains some of it's products in a finish called Boston cherry...so dad's doin' it for how many years?

14 yrs. old with a classic 'Stang that he drops a built engine into? Is it an $8000 Stroker crate-engine from Ford Racing or an old stock 392c.i. Chrysler hemi that was lying around? How'd ya manage to shoehorn either beast into an engine bay suited to a 289 max? How'd ya beef up the frame and suspension? Full boxed? Musta' been a b!tch for the tie rod/steering clearance... Remote sump? What tranny did you bolt up to? Didja' change out the rear end? How tall are your gears? Who provided the modified driveshaft? How'd ya manage floorplan clearance for the bell-housing/tranny? What aftermarket radiator did y'all drop in? Does the ol' 4bbl. stick up through the hood?...You're talkin' major re-build here...how the heck did it pass inspection?

And now we wanna' use Pyle and DJ stuff? For what it cost to mod your ride, I'd save up a few more bucks and get proper hi-fi and sh!tcan the Skylines...

jimHJJ(...it's all so curious...but then, that's just me...)

JoeE SP9
09-28-2006, 06:34 PM
Thank you Resident Loser for a touch of sanity. Early on in this thread a asked a question about the "engine change". The answer was less than believable.:p

bubslewis
09-28-2006, 07:06 PM
Thank you Resident Loser for a touch of sanity. Early on in this thread a asked a question about the "engine change". The answer was less than believable.:p

I'll second that one. Resident Loser has the highest rating on the chuckle-o-meter of anybody in the forum. Great combo of knowledge and razor sharp wit.

Resident Loser
09-29-2006, 06:36 AM

The wood and the displacement quoted doesn't ring true...anyone who is gonna' go through all that work (no mean feat) to pork-up a classic should be able (and more than willing) to quote the bore and stroke and a million other bits of automotive ephemera rather than treat the subject in such a dismissive manner...particularly a 14 yr-old...at fourteen I was really into cars (to the exclusion of much else) and could bore you into a coma with speed and sport trivia...JC Whitney catalogs and the Motor series of tech manuals were near-religious manuscripts...Came to an abrupt end when I picked up the guitar at 16...

jimHJJ(...now I simply prattle-on about many diverse things...)

Resident Loser
09-29-2006, 06:40 AM
I'll second that one. Resident Loser has the highest rating on the chuckle-o-meter of anybody in the forum. Great combo of knowledge and razor sharp wit.

...'t weren't nuffin'...

jimHJJ(...a little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants...)