Wow, almost forgot about that one! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Wow, almost forgot about that one!

Davey
08-26-2006, 12:01 PM
hey Hey HEY! Remember that Manitoba guy that made a splash a few years ago around here with Up In Flames? Love that album. My bud chrisnz turned me on, and then we in turn tried to spread the word. Guess not too successfully, and I haven't seen Chris around these parts for ages, but wow, this is still a modern classic in my little world. Solid 9.0 on Uncle Davey's Mix-O-Meter. And it does sound kind of like a fun mix tape. Got it all, inventive rhythms, sing-a-long melodies, and eclectic sound effects, all tossed in the blender and set to someplace in the middle of the dial, maybe 'Blend'. Very cool production too. Nice sounding CD. Not all pumped to the max like most modern stuff. I remember istening to some of the last Caribou album (after he was forced to change his name because of legal threats from Richard "The Dick" Manitoba) at the listening station and thinking it sounded much the same, so passed it by, but now I'm thinking there's nothing wrong with that when it's this good. Any opinions on Caribou?

And the Rave Recs success stories keep coming. After finishing off the Manitoba CD, I pulled out another favorite that my bud Jar turned me on to, Hex by Bark Psychosis. On a Memorex CD-R dated 4-6-01. Wow, I think I even remember the trade, Pram's The Museum of Imaginary Animals, a very eclectic English band with similarities to early Too Pure labelmates, Stereolab. Think maybe I came out ahead on that deal. Hex is really an amazing listen. At least a 9.0, probably higher. Might even be called seminal since it was the seed for the term post-rock, a phrase coined by critic Simon Reynolds to describe Hex for, "using rock instrumentation for non-rock purposes, using guitars as facilitators of timbres and textures rather than riffs and power chords."

Samuel Adams is starting to flow and lots of memories are coming back. What a stack of great music I've gotten from my friends here. Thanks all!

Slosh
08-26-2006, 04:39 PM
Wow, is this excellent. A bit of a PITA since it was in Shorten format and I had to convert it to WMAL and then manually tag it, but in the end well worth the effort. Good soundboard recording and an even better performance, with most of the songs being audience requests.

Check out this smokin' setlist:

01. Do The Standing Still
02. Following Through
03. Sentimental Man
04. Academy Award
05. The Dismemberment Plan Gets Rich
06. The Ice Of Boston
07. The First Anniversary Of Your Last Phone Call
08. That's When The Party Started
09. What Do You Want Me To Say?
10. The City
11. 8 1/2 Minutes
12. Come Home
13. Gyroscope
14. Onward, Fat Girl
15. Ellen & Ben
16. You Are Invited
17. A Life Of Possibilities
18. Back & Forth
19. One Too Many Blows To The Head
20. OK, Joke's Over/Such Great Heights
21. Spider In The Snow
22. Time Bomb
23. Memory Machine

nobody
08-27-2006, 04:46 AM
That Manitoba is one thgat I didn't really like much on first listen, but unusually forme, it really did grow on me in time.

I often go back and start listening to something that I've kinda let slip away through the years. Pulled out some John Trubee & the Ugly Janitors of America a couple nights ago. True weirdness that either gets people to just nake funny faces or yell at you to turn it off.

Personally, I don't know how you can't love these kinda lyrics...

I got high last night on LSD
My mind was beautiful, and I was free

Warts loved my nipples because they are pink
Vomit on me, baby
Yeah, yeah, yeah

A blind man's penis is erect because he is blind
It's erect because he is blind
It's erect because he is blind

Let's make love under the stars
And watch for UFOs
If little baby Martians come out of the UFOs
We **** them yeah yeah yeah

The zebra spilled its plastinia on bemis
And the gelatin oozed electric marbles
Mother's titties died in Hell
And the Nazis want to kill, kill everyone

It's erect because he's blind

-Jar-
08-27-2006, 05:39 PM
A blind man's penis

I remember that from the ENIGMA VARIATIONS comp. Great 2lp set of 80's indie rock.

what a strange song.

god I love that Bark Psychosis album.

nobody
08-28-2006, 07:08 AM
Great, fun compilation...and sold for something like 4 bucks if I remember right...one of those old label samplers they sold cheap to get you to buy the rest of their stuff.

I fell in love with teh Screamin' Sirens on that one...how can ya not fall for gals with mohawks and Patsy Cline dresses? Their song was so-so though.

Blind Man's Penis is deffinitaly a standout in his catalog, but he's got quite a few gems tossed in there. And, he actually sings the rest. blind Man's Penis was actually just some lyrics he mailed off and got the completed item sent back from some muzak factory.

I think he also had something to do with Zoogz Rift, but I'm not really sure.

-Jar-
08-28-2006, 08:01 AM
I think he also had something to do with Zoogz Rift, but I'm not really sure.

That wouldn't surprise me.

I would imagine that you're one of the few people to ever mention Zoogz Rift on this forum.

ahh. speaking of SST stuff, I owe you some. I won't forget!

-jar

Dusty Chalk
08-28-2006, 07:03 PM
I like Caribou well enough, but I've decided I'm not that into that whole Manitoba/Four Tet/whatever else falls into that category scene that much. I much prefer Manual and Styrofoam and all them Morr Music munchies.

I was watching an episode of Buffy (the one where Willow gets "high" on witchcraft), and during this real trippy scene, this really cool Ozric-Tentacles type music was playing, so I looked it up, and it was Laika. Boy was I embarrassed. I need to pull out all my Laika and listen to them more.

-Jar-
08-29-2006, 05:48 AM
I can still remember one night (sometime in early 2001) I bought 3 albums.

Laika - GOOD LOOKING BLUES
Bark Psychosis - HEX
Mojave 3 - ASK ME TOMORROW

It was a pretty good score if I must say..