Nad power ratings [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Nad power ratings

RoyY51
08-26-2006, 08:29 AM
I was just browsing through the Amp/Preamp forum and read a discussion regarding Denon's power ratings being measured with 1 or 2 channels driven instead of measured with all channels driven. Does anyone know how Nad's power ratings are determined? I had always assumed that the 100 wpc rating of my T763 was measured with all 6 channels driven, but now a seed of doubt has been planted. Anyone have the definitive word?

RoyY51
08-27-2006, 02:49 PM
Did I post this on the wrong forum? If so, please advise and I will repost on the correct one.

canuckle
08-27-2006, 03:17 PM
A quick glance at the NAD manual will show you that it's rated 100watts/channel with 6 channels driven and 130watts/channel with 2 channels driven.

kexodusc
08-27-2006, 04:11 PM
Once again - it doesn't really matter how many channels are driven - there are almost no all-channels-used at max level scenes in any movie. Even fewer sustained for more than instantaneous peaks...and the small difference in the actual wattage won't contribute to performance gains of any substance, anyway.
If all-channels-driven specs are worrying you, you really need much more power than a receiver offers.
Wouldn't worry about this non-issue. It's something fan-boys created to try to one-up other fan-boys.

RoyY51
08-27-2006, 04:12 PM
I sure wish that I still had the owner's manual. I think my wife's cats ate it (I blame most everything on them these days). I sure appreciate the info, and I know that I will sleep easier tonight...unless the wife lets the cats into the bedroom.