Sound Pressure Level Meter [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sound Pressure Level Meter

jlcct
08-26-2006, 07:05 AM
Hey guys,

I'm looking to buy an spl meter. I have looked around and found so many online but none that fit my criteria. I have a laptop on a desktop base setup right next to my equipment. I would like to find a meter that comes with a windows compatible program with lots of user friendly bells and whistles so that I can watch, adjust, monitor and learn a little more about what I have and have not. I just ordered a new Emotiva amp and recently picked up a Rotel / APC power conditioner so I would like to see the differences as well as hear them before the upgrades and after. Plus it's just another toy......You Know.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I haven't set a price limit for myself because I don't care to limit my options. I'm just looking for more options and hopefully someone here has done some of the same researching? .....little help

Thanks,
Jeff

paul_pci
08-26-2006, 10:00 AM
Most of us go the easy route … Radio Shack. If you're looking for something complicated, try a instrument shop like Guitar Center.

jlcct
08-26-2006, 11:16 AM
I hadn't thought about Guitar Center. Thanks for the idea.

Woochifer
08-26-2006, 12:34 PM
Sounds to me like you're looking more for a real time analysis (RTA) device. Those will give you the level plus a spectrum analyzer that tracks the levels at different frequency ranges. In conjunction with a computer, all you need is a mic and some RTA software.

SPL meters are typically dedicated handheld units. As paul_pci already mentioned, the Radio Shack SPL meter more than suffices. Aside from the low price of the meter itself (~$45), an added advantage of the Radio Shack meter is that you have correction charts widely available that account for the mic's sensitivity variances. SPL meters that use calibrated mics will cost considerably more.