Is monoprice.com the best place for cable? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Is monoprice.com the best place for cable?

Tarheel_
08-25-2006, 06:57 AM
i'm looking for 25'-35' of HDMI-DVI, S-Video and component cables...

need good quality at a very fair price.

i know this belongs in the 'Cable' forum, but i don't want to start a war....just need good cable for long runs.

thanks,

edtyct
08-25-2006, 08:24 AM
I've heard that under ordinary conditions, monoprice's cables do a fine job, as do most other low-priced but reputable cable makers. However, when digital cables need to be long, you shouldn't skimp on the engineering. I've heard that people generally don't have trouble at lengths shorter than 50', but I'd ask around whether monoprice's cables are trustworthy at 35'. Gefen makes signal boosters for long stretches that lose signal strength.

2chAlex
08-25-2006, 12:01 PM
Check out www.cablesforless.com. The name says it all, been more than satisfied with the cables, interconnects and the service via phone.

JeffKnob
08-25-2006, 07:14 PM
i'm looking for 25'-35' of HDMI-DVI, S-Video and component cables...

need good quality at a very fair price.

i know this belongs in the 'Cable' forum, but i don't want to start a war....just need good cable for long runs.

thanks,

I have a vga cable and 2 HDMI cables from monoprice. They seem like very good quality. I have no complaints. Circuit City wanted $150 for a single HDMI cable. I got it at monoprice for 0.99 via their ebay store.

westcott
08-31-2006, 09:38 AM
Proper cable design is mostly about how it is shielded and the connectors used. Belkin and Canare are recognized as some of the industry leaders in this area. Many quality cable mfgs use these components.

Extensive testing has shown that double woven shields perform better than foil or other combinations (this statement pertains to video).

I would suggest reading the information included here for more detailed information.

Articles on cables (http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/index.htm)

P.S. Most HDMI cables are all made in Asia. Very few mfgs make their own cable.

Tarheel_
09-01-2006, 05:19 AM
i should receive the cables from monoprice today....i'll use over the weekend and provide some feedback, but i'm not 'into' cables....so it'll be about the build quality and connectors, etc...

thanks.

Digiti
09-07-2006, 09:54 AM
Although I use monoprice cables without any difficulty. These are being used for short runs. I have also used http://cablewholesale.com/catalog/hdmianddvicable.htm which are very well made cables for the price as well.