Receiver Comparison Denon 2106 Vs Yahmaha HTR 5890 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Receiver Comparison Denon 2106 Vs Yahmaha HTR 5890

darth2222
08-24-2006, 07:00 AM
I have narrowed it down to these two. My setup will have Studio 20V3, 470CC, ADP 370 surrounds. This will mainly be used for HT. I cant run 7 speakers due to room limitations so i dont think i would get the full benefit of THX. Also the 5890 is rated 140WPC and Denon is 100WPC but i have heard sometimes the Yammies wattage is not that accurate and, that denon is a more true reading. Please advise which one to go with as both are same price. Thanks for anyone who replies

kexodusc
08-24-2006, 07:38 AM
I have narrowed it down to these two. My setup will have Studio 20V3, 470CC, ADP 370 surrounds. This will mainly be used for HT. I cant run 7 speakers due to room limitations so i dont think i would get the full benefit of THX. Also the 5890 is rated 140WPC and Denon is 100WPC but i have heard sometimes the Yammies wattage is not that accurate and, that denon is a more true reading. Please advise which one to go with as both are same price. Thanks for anyone who replies

At the same price, this isn't even close. Unless you have some sound preference (I can't imagine, they sound similar) the Yamaha is a step up in build quality and power. Consider that it is almost 6 lbs heavier in weight - that's amp and power supply - and there shouldn't be any doubt.

The 2106 is a fine receiver on its own, but the HTR-5890 is a class higher, not really a fair comparison.
As for power ratings, I wouldn't worry, Denon and Yamaha both use the same standards for rating their receivers, and both choose to ignore the impractical "all channels driven" spec.

Finally - Not to dismiss Denon who make good products, but Yamaha is known for being the quality leader. If you go ask service techs which receivers they see in shop more, especially in the last 5 years, I'm sure the answer would be the same each time. Not that Yamaha is perfect - I had a minor issue under warranty with my last one - but problems are less comon than at that pricepoint than its competitors.

Woochifer
08-25-2006, 08:36 AM
Kex is right. If you're choosing between these two models and the price is the same, go with the Yammie. The HTR-5890 is one of Yamaha's midlevel models, whereas the AVR-2106 is part of Denon's entry level line. The equivalent Denon model would be the AVR-2806. The two models have the same price right now because the HTR-5890 is about to get discontinued, with the replacement model probably arriving in stores sometime next month or in October.

The comments about the wattage ratings are probably because Yamaha quotes a less stringent output test for their HTR series receivers, which are distributed through big box and mail order retailers. But, they use the more demanding output test with their RX-V series, which is sold through specialty retailers and not authorized for online/mail order sales. The equivalent model for the HTR-5890 is the RX-V1600 if you want to look it up. The two models are basically identical.

Just so you know, THX has nothing to do with the number of speakers. It's nothing more than a certification spec and set of design guidelines. It assures a minimum performance level, but doesn't give you any extra "benefit" compared to non-THX components that meet those same performance levels.

basite
08-25-2006, 09:21 AM
denon sounds warmer then yamaha, in fact, yamaha sounds ice cold, but that doesn't really matter for ht

kexodusc
08-25-2006, 10:16 AM
denon sounds warmer then yamaha, in fact, yamaha sounds ice cold, but that doesn't really matter for ht

Both these amp topologies rely heavily on digital processing, the warm/cold stereotype hasn't been true for quite sometime...My Nad amps sound warm , my Adcoms and Rotel sound a bit bright, or cold...the yamaha is somewhere close to neutral.

GMichael
08-25-2006, 10:17 AM

Mine seems to work very well for music. When I get home tonight I'll tell it to knock that off.

spacedeckman
08-25-2006, 08:40 PM

With mid and upper level Yamaha product, that hasn't really been true for about 5-6 years, beginning with the RXV800/1000. Before that, I would tend to agree with you.

With regard the Denon, prior to the 3805, Denon's mid and upper level receivers tended to sound a bit rolled off on the top and quite congested in the midrange. Inexperienced and inattentive people used to regard that as more of a "high end" sound, which was far from the truth. The 3805 was the first of the new generation of Denon products which sounded much better than anything preceding it for quite a few years, probably ever when discussing their receivers. Very neutral and very competitive with the Yamaha.