My fiance wont part with his gigantic Klipsch [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : My fiance wont part with his gigantic Klipsch

CindyC
08-23-2006, 11:33 AM
They dont sound bad but are simply to BIG for our living room. I want something more contemporary that doesnt take nearly as much space without sacrificing sound quality.I am very fond of Paradigms and am willing to by them myself but he says there to small and are garbage.How can I convince him that these speakers while much smaller are excellent choices? Personally my choice have a much more pleasant sound.

ericl
08-23-2006, 12:36 PM
HAHA funny stuff, I had a big pair of Klipsch, my girlfriend hated them!

If you love him then you'll let him keep them! just teasing!

Woochifer
08-23-2006, 01:29 PM
One person's gigantic is another one's "jes right"!

Aside from the splendid top-of-the-line Klipschorns (those are truly gigantic by any measure as they each weigh over 200 lbs.), I'm not a big Klipsch fan in general. But, their sound is unique enough that I can see how Klipsch owners would not want to part with them. For one thing, you'd be hard pressed to find any speaker on the market with their efficiency and raw punch (especially the older models like the Heresy). The Paradigms (especially the Studio and Signature series models) sound very different. Personally, I prefer that sound over most of Klipsch's speakers. Obviously, your fiancee begs to differ! :)

I own a Paradigm setup, and I would be equally hard pressed if my wife told me that she was tired of those "little" standmounts and wanted some big floorstanding Klipsch Fortes instead. (of course, trading out for a set of five K-horns would be a much easier choice!) The reality is that my wife thinks that even the standmounted Paradigm Studio series speakers take up too much floor space! If she had the final say, she would prefer that I go with an on-wall speaker, but that represents too big a sacrifice in sound quality for me to go along with!

Depending on the model that your fiancee has, the sound from those big Klipsch floorstanders won't be found with other speaker lines. He would simply have to find another set of speakers that sound different yet preferable to what he currently uses. That's won't be easy without spending a lot of weekend afternoons inside audio stores listening to speaker after speaker. If that sounds like fun for him and drudgery for you, that very well might be the sacrifice you'll need to make to get the more diminutive speakers that you want.

An alternative approach would simply entail getting some Klipsch (or Definitive Technology) bookshelf speakers and add a 15" subwoofer. You'll still have a giant box in your living room, but at least you'd have one instead of two! :D

nightflier
08-23-2006, 01:39 PM
Cindy, What model Klipsch speakers are you referring to?

JoeE SP9
08-23-2006, 03:13 PM
Cindy;
What if anything has he asked you to give up?:ihih:

KaiWinters
08-23-2006, 06:58 PM
Does he cheat on you? Abuse alcohol or drugs? Is he shiftless? Is he prone to criminal activities? Is he abusive to you? Does he have a job...oops never mind that is what shiftless means hehehe.

If the worst problem you encounter is his too large speakers that are not conforming to a particular decor you are in great shape and should be greatly relieved.

Really though if this is a problem I offer two suggestions.
First: Is it possible to move the speakers to another room thus creating a specialized music room allowing him his speakers and you a more decorous ( I am a proponent of decor so I am agreeing with you on some levels ) environment.
Second: Go speaker shopping with the hopes of finding speakers that provide the aural enjoyment, as well as the visual pleasure of the speakers...do not discount that sense, he wants and the decorous affect you desire.

Good luck and keep us informed.

PS: Paradigm speakers are not at all crap and his assertions to that affect speak a bit towards his knowledge...perhaps it is the "penis syndrome"...big speakers must mean big...........sound !......... yeah that's the ticket.

Mr Peabody
08-23-2006, 07:03 PM
Cindy, let me first say, I'm in total agreement with you on Paradigm sounding better than Klipsch regardless of the size.

I believe your question was "how can I convince him", have you considered breast implants? Not that you necessarily need them, mind you, but your fiance believes bigger is better and maybe you can work out a swap.

Dusty Chalk
08-23-2006, 07:22 PM
Just in case you haven't figured it out yet, you've come to the wrong crowd. Klipsch's are thought of pretty highly around these parts.

I think the short answer is to get a bigger living room.

likeitloud
08-24-2006, 12:50 AM
Cindy, let me first say, I'm in total agreement with you on Paradigm sounding better than Klipsch regardless of the size.

I believe your question was "how can I convince him", have you considered breast implants? Not that you necessarily need them, mind you, but your fiance believes bigger is better and maybe you can work out a swap.

LOL-LOL, man , I almost wasted a just opened bud, I use vintage "BIG" monitors,
I think I'll get on that with the wife, add in my surrounds, thats like 4 cups sizes,
Damn. Gotta go...

RGA
08-24-2006, 02:08 AM
If the speakers are the K-Horns then I agree with his sentiments on the speakers you are proposing as replacements. Nothing is perfect but there are few speakers that offer those things that the K-horn excel at and if he places a high premium on the sound on tap then most current speakers are completely out of their league against such speakers.

Consider that most guys would love a partner giving them permission to replace it all with something new -- and when that person says no thanks I'll stick with the stuff that I actually think sounds best -- well it means he damn well loves his gear. People spend a lifetime in this hobby spending hundreds fo thousands and never get to where he is already!!

Florian
08-24-2006, 05:10 AM
Keep the Klipsch....thats a real mans speaker. Dont buy some smallish cute Canadian stuff, it just aint the real thing for a real man :cornut:

Pat D
08-24-2006, 05:57 AM
They dont sound bad but are simply to BIG for our living room. I want something more contemporary that doesnt take nearly as much space without sacrificing sound quality.I am very fond of Paradigms and am willing to by them myself but he says there to small and are garbage.How can I convince him that these speakers while much smaller are excellent choices? Personally my choice have a much more pleasant sound.

I have heard the Klipschorns, Belle Klipsch, Forte, Forte II, and Quartet, and liked them, although I preferred something else. I think I liked the Forte best of all, followed closely by the Forte II and Quartet. I didn't like the KG4 as much, though it was not bad, and did not like the Cornwall and Heresy. I haven't heard the current models.

Klipsch speakers CAN be played at reasonable levels, even though it doesn't take much power to play them very loudly. I think SOME of the problem may well be the levels at which he plays them. Klipsch can appeal to headbangers.

There are a number of manufacturers who make very nice speakers which don't take up so much room and which are sensitive enough so as not to require huge power amplifier to drive them. Paradigm is one such and I like their top line very much (I own Paradigm Signature S2 speakers). I also have an older model PSB speaker, the Stratus Mini, which I gather may not be built any more (a replacement for the Stratus line is in the offing, so I hear). We also have a big subwoofer in the corner. Now, I would much rather have a Paradigm Signature speaker than any Klipsch speaker I've ever heard (except in an auditorium!), but as I say, it may be hard to change his mind.

I don't know whether a compromise is possible. Your fiance is probably very attached to his big Klipsch speakers and it can be hard to change a strong preference. There may be various issues like prestige, nostalgia (in some circles--I met a middle-aged man who wanted Klipschorns since he was a boy), macho control, fear that you will run his life, etc. You will have to decide what's important. As someone else says, if that's the only big issue, count yourself fortunate. You pretty well have to take him as he is with his interests and hobbies included.

The size and appearance in the room seem to be big issues. If it were mainly the sound, one could get some smaller, more accurate speakers and a speaker switcher, and play those when he is not using the system. Or one could put the smaller, better speakers in another location.

Or, perhaps the big speakers could go in the basement, where he can listen to his heart's content.

basite
08-24-2006, 07:16 AM

Can you please describe BIG??? if they are the horns, those are big, the modern klipsch speakers are tall, but nog huge or big, I (i'm 16) have a pair of 1980 Advent speakers (the biggest ones) on my room, those things aren't too big (they aren't small either) but in my room, they cause problems (i have to move one of them every evening just to be able to sleep, and i have to sit on the floor,against my desk, the cables are constantly crossing the room. But still, those speakers are still there and i don't plan to move them somewhere else (exept if my dad says, okay, now let's build an extra room for our son too play music- then, i'd move my speakers). What i want to say is that your fiance loves his speakers and if he ever buys something else, it will practically be the same. So if you still want other speakers, you should go speaker shopping (as said before) and do alot of demos to convince him that there are other speakers that are a bit smaller, but sound the same, but remember, whatever you do, he will most likely not like/buy bookshelves or other small speakers.

here are some possebilities that you husband MAY like.
http://www.bwspeakers.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products.models/Label/Model%20DM603%20S3

http://www.bwspeakers.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products.models/Label/Model%20DM604%20S3

http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/store/category.cgi?category=spk_floorstandi&item=k1t20zzz

http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=979

http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=977

hope this helped.

CindyC
08-24-2006, 10:26 AM
He has a pair of restored Klipsch Belles and a pair of Klipsch KLF-30s and between all of these speakers they take up entirely to much room.

Woochifer
08-24-2006, 10:58 AM
PS: Paradigm speakers are not at all crap and his assertions to that affect speak a bit towards his knowledge...perhaps it is the "penis syndrome"...big speakers must mean big...........sound !......... yeah that's the ticket.

Here's EXHIBIT A :D

Keep the Klipsch....thats a real mans speaker. Dont buy some smallish cute Canadian stuff, it just aint the real thing for a real man :cornut:

------------------------------------------------

I can't show the equipment list, cause it would make you slobber all over the keyboard and short it out. I'll give you a hint tough.... its 8ft tall, weighs 1300lbs and you never heard of it.

nightflier
08-24-2006, 06:56 PM
Cindy,

Yes, those speakers are quite large & imposing (not as bad as the original Klipschorns, but still large). They are also quite wide and boxy-looking. Could it be that it's not so much the sound but the size of the speakers that your fiance is attached to? The speakers have a heft to them that makes one feel like saying: "now that's a speaker!" They also have a definite character and sound to them. I'm going to guess that the appearance is as much of an issue as the size, from your perspective, too. Take it from someone who's had 8 pairs of speakers set up at the same time in the living room, including a beautiful pair of refinished Klipschorns, speakers have a spychological impact too.

That said, I would recommend something a little more compact but still exotic-looking so that there is still that "now that's a speaker!" quality to them. Some ideas: Martin Logan, Apogee, and Magnepan. These are electrostatic speakers that have a large surface area so they look really imposing at first, but are very thin so they can be moved out of the way when he's not listening to them. If he's using tube amps or other lower-powered gear, how about some smaller horn-speakers such as Avantguarde Solo's or Uno's, or maybe Acapella Audio Violon's or Campanellas. Of course, these are a bit pricy, but that may add to the charm, if that helps make the case.

If cost is an issue, but he still wants his friends to drool, how about some Anthony Gallo Reference tower speakers? They just came out with the Ref. III, so the II's should be available second-hand for $2K-ish. If that's still too expensive, how about Oddyssey Nightingales? I own a pair of these, they are can be driven with a reasonably low-powered amp, and have a very clean sound. They look fairly unique and have a very small footprint. I purchased them because they are manufactured by someone who is just as particular about good sound as your fiance probably is.

Anyhow, if looks can substitute for size, there are many options out there. I would start by suggesting electrostatic speakers.

RGA
08-24-2006, 07:34 PM
There is some merit to size here and to dismiss it is a little unfair to speakers like the K-horn -- these speakers offer efficiency and sensitivity FAR higher than any Paradigm or B&W like standmount speaker -- they are FAR FAR FAR more dynamic and present a scale that if one LOVES dynamics and scale will find a small speaker like the Totem Model One as sexy as it is a complete and utter joke. The model one may have much better frequency response plots and it may also have a lot less box interaction --- but it also has no gusto when gusto is needed. It's not about LOUD it's about loud while still maintaining a sense of what is going on. And as has been pointed out by the EQ is king group -- frequency response issues for the K-horn? -- Well just buy an equalizer -- if you have to do it for flat measuring speakers because the room ruins it then it makes no difference if you have to do it for the speaker too,

Woochifer
08-24-2006, 07:56 PM
Cindy,

Yes, those speakers are quite large & imposing (not as bad as the original Klipschorns, but still large). They are also quite wide and boxy-looking. Could it be that it's not so much the sound but the size of the speakers that your fiance is attached to? The speakers have a heft to them that makes one feel like saying: "now that's a speaker!" They also have a definite character and sound to them. I'm going to guess that the appearance is as much of an issue as the size, from your perspective, too. Take it from someone who's had 8 pairs of speakers set up at the same time in the living room, including a beautiful pair of refinished Klipschorns, speakers have a spychological impact too.

That said, I would recommend something a little more compact but still exotic-looking so that there is still that "now that's a speaker!" quality to them. Some ideas: Martin Logan, Apogee, and Magnepan. These are electrostatic speakers that have a large surface area so they look really imposing at first, but are very thin so they can be moved out of the way when he's not listening to them. If he's using tube amps or other lower-powered gear, how about some smaller horn-speakers such as Avantguarde Solo's or Uno's, or maybe Acapella Audio Violon's or Campanellas. Of course, these are a bit pricy, but that may add to the charm, if that helps make the case.

If cost is an issue, but he still wants his friends to drool, how about some Anthony Gallo Reference tower speakers? They just came out with the Ref. III, so the II's should be available second-hand for $2K-ish. If that's still too expensive, how about Oddyssey Nightingales? I own a pair of these, they are can be driven with a reasonably low-powered amp, and have a very clean sound. They look fairly unique and have a very small footprint. I purchased them because they are manufactured by someone who is just as particular about good sound as your fiance probably is.

Anyhow, if looks can substitute for size, there are many options out there. I would start by suggesting electrostatic speakers.

Some good suggestions, but I'm not so sure about going with a tall panel speaker if the guy is wedded to set of Klipsch Belles! The change in tonal characteristics is pretty drastic in that case, in my experience the Maggies need a lot of space behind the speaker to sound optimal. I know that the Klipschorns were designed for corner placement, and if the Belles similarly benefit from a close wall proximity placement, a large panel like a Maggie 3.6 will end up taking even more space than the Belles would. The K-horns are way up there among my personal favorite speakers, and the Belles are supposedly a scaled down version of them. I'd be hard pressed to recommend any alternatives if the Belles live up to that billing!

Woochifer
08-24-2006, 08:12 PM
He has a pair of restored Klipsch Belles and a pair of Klipsch KLF-30s and between all of these speakers they take up entirely to much room.

The Belles carried a list price of $6,000 a pair. Aside from their Signature S8 model, which is a fairly large speaker in its own right, Paradigm doesn't make anything at that level. Paradigm's standmounted Signature S4 (which is also not a small speaker) along with a Servo 15 subwoofer will come out somewhere around that price point. The Servo 15 will extend the bass response significantly, so that might be a plus. You might want to arrange for an audition to see if that combination at all appeals to your fiancee. But, if he's stuck on that aggressive horn sound, not much (if anything) on the market will sway him away.

Like I mentioned above, the Belles are supposedly a downsized version of the Klipschorns, which IMO are exceptional speakers. Hard to compete with that considering how unique their sound is.

Woochifer
08-24-2006, 08:22 PM
There is some merit to size here and to dismiss it is a little unfair to speakers like the K-horn -- these speakers offer efficiency and sensitivity FAR higher than any Paradigm or B&W like standmount speaker -- they are FAR FAR FAR more dynamic and present a scale that if one LOVES dynamics and scale will find a small speaker like the Totem Model One as sexy as it is a complete and utter joke. The model one may have much better frequency response plots and it may also have a lot less box interaction --- but it also has no gusto when gusto is needed. It's not about LOUD it's about loud while still maintaining a sense of what is going on. And as has been pointed out by the EQ is king group -- frequency response issues for the K-horn? -- Well just buy an equalizer -- if you have to do it for flat measuring speakers because the room ruins it then it makes no difference if you have to do it for the speaker too,

Well, the K-horns are one of those speakers that you have to accept with warts and all! In my listenings with them, I could easily point out areas where they were far from neutral. But, there's no denying the simple musicality that their presentation offers up. In critical listenings, I could nitpick specific areas. But, once the music comes on, the listening's very enjoyable as a whole, whether the source is acoustic or amplified.

jtgofish
08-25-2006, 03:08 AM
Cindy,
Can't you knit a pair of nice covers[maybe pink,frilly and lacey a bit like a big version of those nice toilet roll holders our grandmothers used to have].
You could put these on whenever you had visitors.

basite
08-25-2006, 03:36 AM
the speakers your fiance haves are worth a fortune, there are 3 options:
1:build a bigger living room,
2:build a room specific to listen music,
3:learn to live with the big speakers in the living room.

i would keep them, these things are not replacable with some paradigms, you have to pay alot of money to find something that good now. the speakers your fiance haves are to be proud at, even if they are too big for your living room.

musiclover60
08-25-2006, 06:50 AM
Cindy,

I feel for you, and I feel for your husband. Your right, those four speakers take up a lot of room. Your husband's also right, it's hard to find that kind of sound now without spending BIG money (think new car prices).

Klipsh have always had a distinctive sound (I liked the older ones like k-horns, can't stand their newer products). If you really want to get new speakers, offer to go speaker shopping with him and keep an open mind. I recently did this with my wife when my JBL's finally crapped out (again, liked their older products, hated the the crap they make now). My wife let me jump up the budget on the speakers when she heard how crummy the sound was on a lot of the new speakers we listened to (luckily we found some used at an excellant price). Bottom line, I got some speakers we both liked to listen to, the wife got rid of my old speaker stands (very ugly), and we didn't spend a small fortune.

Try these speakers to start with:
Definitive Technology - Not the same sonic character as the Klipsch, but they do have the ability to fill a room with sound, like four Klipsh would. Small footprint. Great price/performance speaker. The downside is that the super towers ( seven thoussand's iteration) have built in subwoofers, so you'll need 2 power outlets, one for each speaker.
Polks - Tall, but have a small footprint. Some sound great, some sound like junk. Just have to try them
Operas - Very forward midrange like Klipsch. Excellant sound. Tall, but have a small footprint. The downside is they're very expensive.

And the list goes on.....

Happy hunting!

jtgofish
08-25-2006, 07:10 AM
Of course there is that conjecture that guys with really big speakers have small penises.If he drives a big pickup or a Hummer you have some grounds for real concern.

RGA
08-27-2006, 04:00 PM
Well, the K-horns are one of those speakers that you have to accept with warts and all! In my listenings with them, I could easily point out areas where they were far from neutral. But, there's no denying the simple musicality that their presentation offers up. In critical listenings, I could nitpick specific areas. But, once the music comes on, the listening's very enjoyable as a whole, whether the source is acoustic or amplified.

Wooch -- most all speakers you have to accept or not with warts and all. There are many facets of what a speaker produces and I can tell the issues the K-horn has but you take a good measuring speaker like the Pardigm S2 and I immediately can point to a huge failing in that loudspeaker that is so great to my ear that nothing else saves it -- and that is in dynamics (even the reviewers mention it continuously) and if you place a premium on dynamics then the S2 is a complete failure -- for rmany like myself it is far more important than frequency anomolies (which can be corrected with placement and listening position and treatments to some degree). This is not an attack because I would say the same for virtually all other speakers in direct competition with the S2. The thing with speakers like the K-Horn is they are enjoyable enough to make people not want to "critically listen" while speakers that were designed to be "audiophile" rather than "musicphile" allow people to talk more about soundstage, imaging, transparency, frequency, box noise etc while the K-horn just gets on with the fun factor and the person will play it and be done with it. The K-horn also needs extra special attention to set-up and front end equipment.

Having said all that I get why people would avoid speakers like the K-Horn.

jt1stcav
09-03-2006, 07:46 PM
Your fiance purchased a unique pair of loudspeakers that others work their entire lives to own. They're the epitome of world-class horn technology that's still affordable compared to other horn-loaded equivalents (not very many) that are many thousands more! He obviously bought his Belle Klipsch for a very specific reason (excellent sound quality with perhaps low-powered tube amps), and would not want to trade down just to satisfy any room decor. Paradigms are excellent loudspeakers in their own right, but sound totally different from the Belles, so I can understand him not wanting them (plus they may not be the right choice for the amplification he has).

This is not an easy choice...to want him to sell them for something more conforming to the decor of the room. Relationships are always put to the test and compromises sometimes have to be made, but the Belle Klipsch are part of your fiance like an extention of his body. Making him sell his big horns would be like having him cut off an ear or a finger. Let him keep what he worked so hard to obtain...maybe in the future he'll be able to relocate his entire system to another room, and the room they're in now will be more to your liking. If you love him so, you have accepted him into your life, warts and all, for better or for worse. You need to accept his Klipsch as well. Put yourself in his shoes and imagine how you'd feel if he wanted you to get rid of all the furniture in that room.

Just a thought...good luck!

E-Stat
09-05-2006, 12:32 PM
They dont sound bad but are simply to BIG for our living room.
The secret to the success of my twenty year marriage to a wonderful lady and keeping seven foot tall speakers is to have a separate listening room. It wasn't long after we got married that we finished the basement in our first house to place the monoliths. She got her living room. I got my music.

.How can I convince him that these speakers while much smaller are excellent choices?
If he's anything like me, then my guess is that you cannot. :)

rw