finally going HD....projector cable questions??? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : finally going HD....projector cable questions???

Tarheel_
08-23-2006, 08:17 AM
after years of a great sounding HT, i'm finally adding a HD projector...

Panasonic PT-L500U (native 720p projector) also displays 1080i and has a DVI-D (HDCP) input.

now, not sure about it all connects to get the best PQ...

i will order a Directv HD receiver that has HDMI connection, but own a DVD player with only component out.

I'd like to add an 'upconverting' DVD player, but the projector only has 1 DVI connection.

How do I 'hook' this projector up and get the max. picture quality? My guess is i need a HDMI to DVI cable, but how do i get the DVD player connected?

(p.s. I currently don't own any gear with HDMI or DVI outputs)

edtyct
08-23-2006, 11:49 AM
Tarheel, rather than plagiarize myself shamelessly here, I suggest that you take a look at my last post in the "HD-DVD and Blu-ray . . . both losers" thread for one view about upconversion. I have nothing whatsoever against it; it's a fine way for a digital output to justify itself when true HD isn't in the offing. But in cases like yours, a dose of another perspective might be helpful. That said, here are your options:

You can get a DVI switch from, say, Gefen, and an inexpensive upconverting DVD player with HDMI or DVI and connect the new satellite receiver and DVD player to the projector through it. Cables with HDMI and DVI ends are readily available. You could also connect your current DVD player to the projector via component without losing much, if any, performance. Arguably, all things being equal, HDMI or DVI would be the connection of choice with your fixed-pixel projector, but whether the degree of difference, visible or not, would be worth any new equipment is up to you.

AVMASTER
08-23-2006, 03:30 PM
Hello Tarheel
just curious but why the old panasonic?

Tarheel_
08-24-2006, 08:02 AM
AVMASTER,
previous panasonic and sanyo Z series models offer true HD and a better than average picture for the price of a 480p new projector...so for less than $750 bucks you get a true HD picture.

basically, a good deal on a big HD screen.