In Wall Subwoofer Placement Question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : In Wall Subwoofer Placement Question

lildanbassman
08-23-2006, 05:42 AM
Hi,

I have a 10" in-wall subwoofer, and I was wondering how high off the ground should I mount it for best performance? Any other placement suggestions (i.e. in a corner or not) would be appreciated as well. Thanks!

AVMASTER
08-24-2006, 06:28 AM
please provide brand and model, description of room

lildanbassman
08-24-2006, 08:09 AM
The sub is a CSI/Speco Dream Series SPW-1000. It's going in the basement which we are in the process of remodeling. The room is a 20X10 rectangular room and the sub will mount along the 10' side. Since it is a basement, it has concrete floors, but we will be sealing it and then putting carpet over. I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not. Thanks!

AVMASTER
08-25-2006, 10:10 AM
5" above baseboard, enclose the rear of it, place it left of display. do you have to use a in-wall sub? where will the amp for it be?

lildanbassman
08-25-2006, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the great advice! Are there any reasons I should be hesitant to use an in-wall sub? The main reason I got it is that my other speakers I already have set up are also in-wall, and this "completes the set". I have a perfect spot for the sub near the corner of the room which will be left of the amp & entertainment center so I think it should pan out ok. What would be the best material to enclose it in? Also, is insulation in general harmful for speakers, meaning I should be enclosing my other in-wall speakers? Also, just to clarify as I'm obviously a newb, do I need another power source for the sub aside from the receiver?

I apologize as I know its bad etiquitte to ask so many questions in one post, I'm just very curious! Thanks again for your help!

AVMASTER
08-27-2006, 04:03 AM
using a enclosure for in-walls will help improve the sound(among other things); there are some pre-made ones or you could build one out of wood. You will need a separate amp for it; if it serves no other purpose than to "complete the set" may i suggest Pinnacle model CS88--this model seems to fit your requirements but after 15 years in this business and i still haven't meet a in-wall sub( at least a resonably priced one) that could beat a good box sub

westcott
08-31-2006, 09:32 AM
Placing a speaker of any kind into the wall or even near a wall is the worst possible scenario acoustically. Very few speakers are designed for 2pi use and it is not recommended.

Not to mention, there is little room for testing to determine best placement.

It may look good but it ruins the sound.