When the Levees Broke... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : When the Levees Broke...

dean_martin
08-22-2006, 07:17 PM
Anybody watch the HBO/Spike Lee documentary about Katrina and the aftermath? Unfortunately, there was no satisfying ending because the aftermath isn't over.

Woochifer
08-22-2006, 07:53 PM
I just got through watching it. Very impressive job by Spike Lee to capture Katrina and its aftermath as a four-part snapshot. I like how he took things down to the human level while keeping the big picture in perspective. With so much of the spotlight now off of NOLA, it was very interesting to see how slow the rebuilding has gone so far and some of the things that are actually underway.

Worf101
08-23-2006, 05:37 AM
I'd just watched this abysmal "Inside Man", well maybe not that bad but too damn long and I'd thought he'd lost his edge his purpose as a director.... But after two nights of riveting, heartrending television/documentary, I have to give him his props. Amazing work, I was moved to tears too many times. To be fair there was some clunky moements where people were "set up to cry" as I call it, but there were more moments of genuine "realness" then I've seen on film in a long time.

What was most enlightening is how the BBC reporter helped more people in the aftermath of Katirna than the FEMA did. This guy was finding and helping folks, all over. Another "ah ha" moment was when the Mounties showed up in Narlins BEFORE FEMA did.. Jeeze Louise what a cock-up, but there's enough blame for every party at every level. To quote "Trip" in the movie "Glory"

"You know we all covered up in it, ain't nobody clean.... be nice to get clean though..."

Da Worfster

dean_martin
08-23-2006, 06:51 AM
Yeah, my emotions were predominantly sadness and anger/outrage. Parts were tough to watch like the numerous shots of single dead bodies shown at the end of the first half. I thought the second half was going to bog down in the details of individuals' stories and I wasn't in the mood for it at first, but I was drawn in and there was enough of the "big picture" perspective to keep it going for me. I have to agree with the promos that Lee did not inject his own views, whatever they may be, into this film. He didn't have to. There's not much to argue about - our fed gov't failed and continues to fail the people of that region. It has a Constitutional duty to promote the general welfare by providing aid in the wake of a natural disaster and when it undertakes this task it should proceed if not in a professional manner then at least in a reasonable manner.

Of course I didn't miss that the film depicted the trial lawyer John Bruno as the underdog/good guy and the insurance companies and Army Corps of Engineers as the big bad guys. YEAH! There's some truth.

The music was GREAT, particularly the street players and funeral procession bands. The last Terrence Blanchard album is supposed to be pretty good. I think I'm gonna pick it up to help Terrence help his mama.

Woochifer
08-23-2006, 11:07 AM
Yeah, my emotions were predominantly sadness and anger/outrage. Parts were tough to watch like the numerous shots of single dead bodies shown at the end of the first half. I thought the second half was going to bog down in the details of individuals' stories and I wasn't in the mood for it at first, but I was drawn in and there was enough of the "big picture" perspective to keep it going for me. I have to agree with the promos that Lee did not inject his own views, whatever they may be, into this film. He didn't have to. There's not much to argue about - our fed gov't failed and continues to fail the people of that region. It has a Constitutional duty to promote the general welfare by providing aid in the wake of a natural disaster and when it undertakes this task it should proceed if not in a professional manner then at least in a reasonable manner.

Of course I didn't miss that the film depicted the trial lawyer John Bruno as the underdog/good guy and the insurance companies and Army Corps of Engineers as the big bad guys. YEAH! There's some truth.

The music was GREAT, particularly the street players and funeral procession bands. The last Terrence Blanchard album is supposed to be pretty good. I think I'm gonna pick it up to help Terrence help his mama.

Those images were quite striking, and I was equally struck by the unleashed candor of a lot of the interviewees. Seems that the main point of the documentary is that NOLA is not dead, but depending on the direction of the rebuilding, the spirit of the city is still in the balance.

I just read in the news today that Mayor Nagin visited Houston yesterday to make a pitch for evacuees to return to New Orleans. (Part of the pitch was asking people if they missed the food back home) Apparently, about half the city's residents have not returned and a good portion will likely remain in places like Houston permanently. Looks like it might take more than a few good places to order red beans and rice to entice evacuees to return home.

Seeing Terrence Blanchard was another one of those striking ironies. He has frequently collaborated with Spike Lee as a musician/composer, and he continues in that role with this documentary (you're right, the music in this documentary is great, as it often is with Spike Lee's movies). Yet, in this case he's also a subject and part of the storyline.

Worf101
08-24-2006, 04:54 AM
My personal test of any great work of film or any medium actually, is if I'm talking/feeling/emoting (for good or ill) about it 2 or 3 days after first viewing it. It's now Thursday and I still wan to go out and punch a Politician in the nose. Nuff Said.

Da Worfster

bobsticks
08-24-2006, 05:10 AM
Nuff Said
Da Worfster

...close but no cigar. I live in America. I want to punch a politician in the nose on a daily basis...Howdja like the film? :yesnod:

Cheers

recoveryone
08-24-2006, 07:54 AM
Great reviews people, I saw this film being played on HBO, but I don't have it. I hope this film comes out on DVD soon. ANd by the way Worf I thought inside man was a good flick, I viewed it as a thinking mans movie.

Worf101
08-24-2006, 11:35 AM
...close but no cigar. I live in America. I want to punch a politician in the nose on a daily basis...Howdja like the film? :yesnod:

Cheers

If I was to start popping every politician I hate in the snoot I'd wear my knuckles out in week. I work in Albany, the Capital of New York State, the place litterally crawls with trumped up petty pols and lobbyists. Lord help us all. As for the film I thought it was stunning... Spikes best work since "X" if you ask me.

Da Worfster