Newbie seeking for advice [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Newbie seeking for advice

yellowmellow
08-22-2006, 05:49 PM
Hi everyone, I am new to hifi and would like some suggestions on getting integrated amplifier.

The sources of my system are primarily a Cambridge 640C version 2 CDP, and a cheap Project turntable (the one with phono integrated). I am using a Chinese Music Angel EL34 tube amp that my friend lent me, to drive a new pair of Dynaudio Audience 42 speakers, which I had just added this weekend.

I am thinking to switch to a transitor amp, and have Cambridge 640A and Audiolab 8000s (2nd handed) in my mind. I don't see anyone mentioned in the forum with the combo of 8000s and Dyn 42, would they work well? Or any other alternatives in similar price (new or 2nd handed)? I heard that the 42 need certain power to drive, aren't they?

Jazz / rock would be my preference.

JoeE SP9
08-23-2006, 08:29 AM
As far as the Audiolab and Cambridge go they are pretty much equal in terms of power and features. Either one would power your Dynaudio's just fine. If you want more I would look into a powered subwoofer. That would allow them to play louder and give you some real bass. Were I in your situation I would get the subwoofer first. Of course that supposes you can keep the Music Angel amp you're now using.:cool:

BTW A hearty welcome aboard!

Bernd
08-23-2006, 08:56 AM
Hi and welcome,

The Audiolab will most likely sound on the bright side with your Dynaudios.
If you could manage it have a listen to the new Cambridge Azur 840A. It is a fantastic new amp from Cambridge.
But listen and then listen some more.

Good luck

Peace

Bernd:16:

Mike Anderson
08-23-2006, 12:18 PM
Check out Musical Fidelity:

http://www.audioreview.com/mfr/musical-fidelity/integrated-amplifiers/MPL_700_2717CRX.ASPX

I got a used MF A3.2 for $700, it was a great deal. They're built like tanks, so you don't have to worry as much getting a used one.

nightflier
08-23-2006, 01:20 PM
I don't know if the CA 640A will be what you want for the Dynaudio speakers. If I remember right, these are 4 ohm spakers and a bit hard to drive. Not that the amp won't be able to, but my guess is that you may not get as much bass out of the system as you would like. There are many other brands out there.

A good place to start is Audio Advisor, they always have a b-stock/clearance sale of some sort going on, if you find the prices a bit steep. The CA 840, as mentioned might be a better option. Also consider Marantz, Creek, and Music Hall as alternatives.

yellowmellow
08-24-2006, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the advices. Good place and helpful people here.

Yes the speakers are 4 ohm, and I also heard that the CA 640a might not be powerful enough to produce the bass, which is a matter to me.

The next thing for me is to try them.

topspeed
08-24-2006, 07:39 PM
The CA should have no problems driving your Danes. I use a 540a to push my 4 ohm Mission Argonauts 5 days a week, 10-12 hours a day. No heat. No hints of strain. No problem. It's a very, very good integrated, especially for the money.

If your looking for a ballsier sounding ss integrated, check into NAD.

Hope this helps.