Audio Myths I'll hear no more Adam, Jamie I'm calling you out!!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Audio Myths I'll hear no more Adam, Jamie I'm calling you out!!!

Mark_IDT
08-21-2006, 10:15 PM
I'm starting this thread so we can make a list of Audio Myths that keep coming about and maybe they will get settled once and for all!!! Please no flame wars this isn't a thread to debate these myths. Please just topics only and an explanation of what the controversy is about and if need be how they would go about proving it one way or another.

EX: Does Bi-wiring speakers from a single output on an amp improve anything?

It can be solved by these methods:

Plug 2 sets of cables into one speaker output on an amp and measure each to determine if the frecquency range, wattage, ohms, voltage, ect differs.

Run the same tests on the output stage of the passive crossover to see if there is a difference between using two sets of wires or one set with the bridges in place.

So lets hear them what are some other myths and how could they be proven if they can be proven. If the only way to come to a conclusion is double blind testing then you might as well hold your breath because we're never going to make a conclusion about what type/brand of speakers or amps sound better.

Do I think we'll really see this stuff on Mythbusters probably not it wouldn't be very entertaining to the general public but maybe at least one of the great unsolved myths will air. Besides topics like this is what we come here for right?

kexodusc
08-22-2006, 04:06 AM
(strolls into room...takes the vacant seat in the front row, sits down and starts munchin some peanuts...)

Resident Loser
08-22-2006, 05:22 AM
I'm starting this thread so we can make a list of Audio Myths that keep coming about and maybe they will get settled once and for all!!!

...young pup, dream on...

EEs and ardent hobbyists have debated these issues since companies like Monster first put hype to the printed page...

Some, but not all of the issues (in no particular order) are:

1. High-priced name-brand speaker wire and ICs vs. generic/OEM inclusions

2. Tube (or valve, if you speak that variant of the language) vs. SS

3. After-market power cords

4. Digital vs. analog

5. Bose

And while the last topic isn't a debate per se...it seems to get an inordinate amount of verbiage as a specific troll topic and even from those regulars who can't resist the occasional, off-hand bit of Bose-bashing...

jimHJJ(...soooo, have at it...)

Feanor
08-22-2006, 05:26 AM

EX: Does Bi-wiring speakers from a single output on an amp improve anything?

It can be solved by these methods:

Plug 2 sets of cables into one speaker output on an amp and measure each to determine if the frecquency range, wattage, ohms, voltage, ect differs.

Run the same tests on the output stage of the passive crossover to see if there is a difference between using two sets of wires or one set with the bridges in place.

In the example you give, there will be measurable differences between the single and bi-wire results. That's because there will be changes in the resistance, inductance, and capacitance of one vs. two wires. On the other hand, the result coming out of the passive cross over will generall be very small. The issue becomes, can you hear these differences? What then? DBT? Where DBT is concerned, my personal hypothesis is that there are really, audible differences that cannot be statistically demonstrated using conventional, ABX-type DBT designs.

We are a long way from objective measurements that correlate exactly with perceived results. So not many myths are going to be busted to everyone's satisfaction.

GMichael
08-22-2006, 06:31 AM
(strolls into room...takes the vacant seat in the front row, sits down and starts munchin some peanuts...)

(sits down a few feet from Kex, starts drinking a brew from the 6 pack he brought, holds an extra brew up while eying the peanut jar.)

markw
08-22-2006, 06:47 AM
(sits down a few feet from Kex, starts drinking a brew from the 6 pack he brought, holds an extra brew up while eying the peanut jar.)(reaches into pocket and extricates a funny looking cigarette. .looks around furtively, lights it up, takes a few puffs and passes it to the left...)

GMichael
08-22-2006, 06:53 AM
(reaches into pocket and extricates a funny looking cigarette. .looks around furtively, lights it up, takes a few puffs and passes it to the left...)

(eyes light up, looks around quickly, smiles and cups the funny ciggy in his right hand, takes another look around, puffs & passes) (hands mark a brew):thumbsup:

Bernd
08-22-2006, 07:11 AM
Enters the smoke filled room and places himself to GMichaels left and gets led astray by being passed a herbal cigarette. Opens his bag and takes out a bottle of Jamesons Irish.
Can't see Kex anywhere. No one on my left so will pass the cigarette back to my right.

Wowy

Bernd:16:

JohnMichael
08-22-2006, 07:29 AM
Stumbles in with chilled Martini pitcher and jar of olives. Falls back into chair. Get up and apologizes to GMichael. Falls into next available seat and accepts cigarette. Inhales deeply, coughs loudly and announces it is smooth.

GMichael
08-22-2006, 07:38 AM
Stumbles in with chilled Martini pitcher and jar of olives. Falls back into chair. Get up and apologizes to GMichael. Falls into next available seat and accepts cigarette. Inhales deeply, coughs loudly and announces it is smooth.

Whoa!:yikes:

I spilled my beer.

Florian
08-22-2006, 08:30 AM
Walks to the man who spilled his beer with a mop, bents down carefully and with a watching eye to clean up the mess he made for 5,15$ an hr. But life is good, so he sits down on the far right and waits for the passing round a second time....

musicoverall
08-22-2006, 08:30 AM
Enters the smoke filled room and places himself to GMichaels left and gets led astray by being passed a herbal cigarette. Opens his bag and takes out a bottle of Jamesons Irish.
Can't see Kex anywhere. Not on my left so will pass the cigarette back to my right.

Wowy

Enters the room and seats himself in the row behind and the seat slightly to the right of Bernd. Pulls out bottle of Lagavulin and proclaims to Bernd that it is superior to Jamesons. Objectivist to my left produces data to show they all taste the same. Bernd and Musicoverall calmly shove a passing funny smelling cigarette up Objectivists bunghole, thereby resolving myth but making funny smelling cigarette even more funny smelling.

GMichael
08-22-2006, 08:49 AM
(picks up the rest of his beer, borrows the Lagavulin and the Jamesons, pours them both into the beer carefully so as not to mix any on them together, waits for the ciggy to come around again, shakes the bottle, puts it to his mouth, and takes it all in at once. takes a deep puff and passes while turning purple)

RGA
08-22-2006, 08:52 AM
Calling something a myth also does not make it one.

But hey you can always support the DBT -- I can save you all more money TDK illustrated that nobody could tell the difference between tape versus cd. UHF concocted a test that while not a DBT was actually superior to a DBT by having people listen to cd and asked to determine when the changeover to tape began -- people could not even hear the hickup switch. People suck at short term sessions where they need to hear subtle changes. UHF mistakingly call this a DBT when in fact it was more of an illustration that suc tests can reduce one's ability to hear effectively in testing environment --- in that again you can;t tell the difference between tape and cd on such a test but of course you CAN outside the test. Basically they were trying to debunk the test. Of course their are about 10 other better ways to do it - starting with taking 2 University begineer psych courses and you will know the great weakness in the ay it is applied in audio in terms of validity and the fact that they manage to mess up the reliability. Reliability is increased with the number of trials and lessened with few trials. Getting at the meaning of trials is also butchered by most peple on the boards. Most tests are set-up as 10-16 sessions. 9/10 is statistically significant to the .05 level But the same .05 level is reached with a 6/10 ten times with one fail at 59/100. Yet if Sanyo is running the test they would want the 10 trial test so if the person scores 6 they can claim victory and their $45.00 player is as good anyone's. If the $2k maker is running the test they can;t win -- because f the person scores 60/100 they may very well WIN in probability terms but that is still a hard number to sell to people,

My view is simple -- if you think you are right and you support the DBT then buy the Sanyo -- if you think you can hear the difference (even after being in DBT''s and running them and getting A+ grades at University running them) and you remain convinced that some cd players sound better like me -- then put the money in it. Just don't tell the other side what to do. I have heard plenty of cheap players that sound as good and in a few cases better than far more expensive audio jewelry (same for amps) so I am not going to tell those people they are wrong -- ten years ago I heard a $5k Wadia single disc transport sound no better than a mega changer -- and that was sighted into 10K electrostats professionally set-up -- so yes if people heard that then there is HUGE reason to believe the high end is a scam -- a great BIG chunk of it is.

Ohh and yes I have those darn fangled tubes too -- but that is a choice of preference -- Last I checked we are still allowed to make those -- even if technically speaking it measures worse. A Ferarri measures worse than a Honda CIvic hatchback. -- Just look at the gas mileage and number of times it needs to be serviced. It's obvious the Honda is better.
:16:

audio_dude
08-22-2006, 09:45 AM
(stumbles in, hitting walls and bumping into things, vomits onto flo. takes out hip flask, takes a swig and offers it around. 20 seconds later, passed out.)

Bernd
08-22-2006, 09:46 AM
Sharing some Lagavulin with musicoverall as the Jameson has mysteriously disappeared. From memory, the Jameson has more depth, but the Lagavulin has a brighter lit flavour.:ciappa:
Not sure about the newly added flavour of the funny cigarette.
JohnMichael, how about a couple olives?

Yeah baby

Florian
08-22-2006, 09:47 AM
(stumbles in, hitting walls and bumping into things, vomits onto flo. takes out hip flask, takes a swig and offers it around. 20 seconds later, passed out.)

While passed out, Flo beats the living **** out of him. Steals his flask, takes a zip and passes out too

musicoverall
08-22-2006, 10:01 AM
While passed out, Flo beats the living **** out of him. Steals his flask, takes a zip and passes out too

(stumbles around with scotch in hand, watches fight, looks up to see Florian's 8 foot tall, 1300 hundred pound friend, runs madly from room screaming "Godzirra, Godzirra" at top of lungs, runs into Bernd, Irish Whiskey and Scotch go flying and merge, whereupon we market new drink with ads that go "Hey, you got your whiskey in my scotch!" and the retort "Hey, you got your scotch in my whiskey!". But not until after Markw ties us up with Audioquest cables and beats the crap out of both of us for befouling his last remaining funny cigarette.)

Resident Loser
08-22-2006, 12:12 PM
...silly me...and I always thought it took two to tango...but now I see in the audio realm it only takes one POV to have an argument...

They must do it in their spare time...existential entertainment at it's best...

jimHJJ(...leans back...shakes head and chuckles quietly...recalls the good 'ol days of baggies containing various cultivated herbs, liters of Old #7 and takes a sip of sweet iced tea...)

GMichael
08-22-2006, 12:24 PM

While these two are out cold, everyone helps put them into compromising positions, and then take pictures.:idea:

JohnMichael
08-22-2006, 12:25 PM
Sharing some Lagavulin with musicoverall as the Jameson has mysteriously disappeared. From memory, the Jameson has more depth, but the Lagavulin has a brighter lit flavour.:ciappa:
Not sure about the newly added flavour of the funny cigarette.
JohnMichael, how about a couple olives?

Yeah baby

Of course Bernd you can have some olives. I am on my way to the lobby for some popcorn and nachos. I have a serious case of the munchies.

JohnMichael
08-22-2006, 12:30 PM
While these two are out cold, everyone helps put them into compromising positions, and then take pictures.:idea:

I will choreograph the poses after I get my snacks. Uh what direction is the lobby?

GMichael
08-22-2006, 12:31 PM
I will choreograph the poses after I get my snacks. Uh what direction is the lobby?

Follow the pink & purple lights along the floor.

dean_martin
08-22-2006, 07:29 PM
Walks in late as usual, but nonetheless holdin'. Calmy takes a seat on the rug carefully avoiding the puke, finds the 30 year old copy of DSOM under the couch, sets it in his lap, pulls something from his pocket and rolls one that looks like a VW Beetle. Everyone begins to perk up.

Mark_IDT
08-23-2006, 02:09 AM
OK so my thinking was a little off last night I have after all been on binge of sobriety for weeks. My mind has been tweeking thus the result you saw last night.

Enters the room your all in and Yells (AYY I NEEDS A FRIGGEN HIT!!) with my best Ewan Mecgreggor impresion from trainspotting

OK so my example of how to conduct an experiment wouldn't work but I know there has to be way to scientifically come up with an answer some other way.

Other myths rathar missconceptions about subwoofers could be addresses.
such as:

10"s hit harder and are better for rock and 15"s can't hit as hard because they move slow and thus are only for rap music because they sound deeper.

Just about everyone I know that thinks they know about car stereo say this dealers say it also. Do your homework and dig deep enough you'll find that a 15" can hit just as hard as a 10". The 10" lacks low extension so it appears as if it has more punch because you cant hear the lows you should be hearing that the 15 will reach. So sence because they hear the lower sounds from a 15" they think it's slower and all together lower sounding. There half right it does sound deeper but it's also hitting all the higher hz that the 10 is except for just a few hz at the wery top that usually crosses over to the midrange speakers.

I know theres a ton of lies and misconceptions out there that could be proven otherwise through some sort or scientific method.

kexodusc
08-23-2006, 04:11 AM
Other myths rathar missconceptions about subwoofers could be addresses.
such as:

10"s hit harder and are better for rock and 15"s can't hit as hard because they move slow and thus are only for rap music because they sound deeper.

Just about everyone I know that thinks they know about car stereo say this dealers say it also. Do your homework and dig deep enough you'll find that a 15" can hit just as hard as a 10". The 10" lacks low extension so it appears as if it has more punch because you cant hear the lows you should be hearing that the 15 will reach. So sence because they hear the lower sounds from a 15" they think it's slower and all together lower sounding. There half right it does sound deeper but it's also hitting all the higher hz that the 10 is except for just a few hz at the wery top that usually crosses over to the midrange speakers.

I know theres a ton of lies and misconceptions out there that could be proven otherwise through some sort or scientific method.

Woofer size has nothing to do with woofer speed - compliance and excursion will affect the woofers transient response or speed and the tightness or slam.

15" woofers are actually better at this. It's swept volume of air you need to consider. A 15" woofer moves about 6 times the air of a 10" sub. That means a 10" sub has to move 6 times as forcefully to match the output of the larger sub - since 15" magnets and motors are usually bigger, they are also more powerful,...so the 10" woofer then relies on its excursion to push air - the further it moves, the less control it will have, transient response suffers.

I think with car subs especially, the issue was there's just a lot of crappy, power sucking, hi-excursion subs that sound bad. In a cabin the subs benefit from transfer function (cabin gain) and you can get away with 10 and 12" woofers. - 15" are usually overkill and just for competitions...

hermanv
08-23-2006, 02:51 PM
Walks in room, notices nice collection of local color, asks first awake person, "Why are we here?"

There's no answer.

audio_dude
08-24-2006, 09:23 AM
SLowly wakes up

massive pounding headache, tries to get up to find some aspirin, just sort of stumbles in to the wall and passes out again.

GMichael
08-24-2006, 11:39 AM
Runs back into the room full of energy. Turns on the lights as bright as they'll go. Skips over to the stereo. Throws on Ted Nugent's Double live Gonzo and cranks it up as loud as it will go. Starts handing out OJ & coffee. Bagels are coming:15:

markw
08-24-2006, 12:03 PM
Runs back into the room full of energy. Turns on the lights as bright as they'll go. Skips over to the stereo. Throws on Ted Nugent's Double live Gonzo and cranks it up as loud as it will go.The other sleeping denizens jump to their feet, blink and look around, wrap GMichael in a blanket, tie it closed, toss him in the trunk of the '68 Caddy DeVille in the front yard, slam it shut, stumble back inside, turn off the stereo and the lights, and go back to sleep.

JohnMichael
08-24-2006, 12:05 PM
Wakes up, shields eyes and reaches for coffee. Makes rude gesture to GMichael for being so perky.

GMichael
08-24-2006, 12:23 PM
The other sleeping denizens jump to their feet, blink and look around, wrap GMichael in a blanket, tie it closed, toss him in the trunk of the '68 Caddy DeVille in the front yard, slam it shut, stumble back inside, turn off the stereo and the lights, and go back to sleep.
Dances back into the room with the blanket slung over his shoulder. It's filled up like Santa's red bag on X-mas eve. Everyone turns to him with hatred in their eyes. He tosses the blanket & leafy contents into the fireplace which is burning bright. Once it starts to smoke real good he closes the flu. The room begins to fill with smoke again. Everyone seems to calm down. All is good in Tinsel Town once again.

L.J.
08-24-2006, 12:57 PM
.... grabs his favorite drink, a nice snack, sits back and enjoys the show!

You guys are waaaay toooo funny!! :lol:

E-Stat
08-24-2006, 05:15 PM
Sets down dram of Laphroaig, then looks to find the doobie. Oh, there it is.

Then hooks up projector to show Mythbuster video.

Breakin' glass (http://www.realmofexcursion.com/videos/Various/mythbusters.1.wmv)

rw

musicoverall
08-24-2006, 07:52 PM
Sets down dram of Laphroaig, then looks to find the doobie. Oh, there it is.

Then hooks up projector to show Mythbuster video.

Breakin' glass (http://www.realmofexcursion.com/videos/Various/mythbusters.1.wmv)

rw

Notices the Laphroaig, sets down bottle of Lagavulin, noting to self that he had never tried the peatier malt. Picks up bottle while E-stat is hooking up projector, sips and pronounces it good. Chugs half the bottle, passes out and has nightmares of being forced into recompense by repositioning ungodly large electrostats with a hangover, with a very irritated E-Stat holding empty Laphroaig bottle and a buggy whip....

emorphien
08-24-2006, 09:36 PM
what a circle jerk :lol:

Bernd
08-24-2006, 11:49 PM
Wakes up - Bad headache - untangles himself from the Audioquest cables. Dreamed got beaten up together with musicoverall, who mumbles something about 1300 pounds and 8 foot, by markw. Takes a good look around. Room has filled up with people and smoke, and over there is Santa Claus. Man this is heavy, how long have I been out? Remembers the small bag of shrooms, takes a couple and passes it to his left before enjoying a wild and colorful movie and a cream cheese and smoked salmon Bagel.

Bernd:6:

jtgofish
08-25-2006, 12:36 AM
Takes out his six string banjo[one for each finger].Moves out to the front porch and sits in his hand wittled rockin chair,spits out his chewin tabaccy ,adjusts the crotch on his coveralls,takes a swig from his moonshine jug,[with added bayou peet so it tastes just like Lophroaig],farts,ponders on the fact that Pluto aint no longer no planet, and then begins to play They Don't Make Jews No More Like They Did When They Made Jesus.

GMichael
08-25-2006, 05:13 AM
Wakes up, shields eyes and reaches for coffee. Makes rude gesture to GMichael for being so perky.

Oh, thank you John. You're number one with me too.

(brings in an old tube driven Fender Twin Reverb amp and two guitars. looks around to see who else wants to jam)

bobsticks
08-25-2006, 05:40 AM
Snatches a guitar and fingerpicks a dainty mazurka to add ambience to the already surreal scenery. Notes absence of malted beverages and markw's very considerable point and stares longingly at the door...

GMichael
08-25-2006, 05:43 AM
Snatches a guitar and fingerpicks a dainty mazurka to add ambience to the already surreal scenery. Notes absence of malted beverages and markw's very considerable point and stares longingly at the door...

I missed Mark's comment. Was it inspiring?

bobsticks
08-25-2006, 05:48 AM
I can only speak for myself, but as the only sober guy at the party it would be an issue. That's what I get for showin' up late...

Bernd
08-25-2006, 06:13 AM
Smoke lifts and clears view. Sees GMichael and Bobsticks with guitars in hand ready for some jamming. Digs deep into his survival pack and reveals a Hohner Harmonica. Counts the other two in and we're off.

Worf101
08-25-2006, 07:58 AM
Worf kicks open the door, glowers angrily around the room and bellows..

"Which one ya Ras Clot, Bumba Clod thievin' Pirates dug up me gange!!!!!??? Me nah spend 8 months raisin dem up from seed for yar raggedy ass ta steal!!! Git ready ta meet ya maka cause I an I fixn' to cut ya troat!!!!" He pulls a machete from waist and marches forward menacingly.

Da Worfster

bobsticks
08-25-2006, 08:00 AM
Breaks into "Grits Aint Groceries" and contemplates getting the powerchord to GMichael's Twin Reverb cryogenically treated. Tosses Bernd special harmonicaphile Blistex #78 Platinum Edition Lip Balm and Tone Conditioner while wistfully thinking of The Angel's Share until tripping over the prone forms of several AR members and crashing to the ground...

audio_dude
08-25-2006, 08:04 AM
gets up, walks off for a few minutes and arrives with a full drum kit, sets it up and joins the jam session, gets many strange looks as to how in gods name he managed to do all this while still drunker than an ugly housewife

Bernd
08-25-2006, 08:10 AM
Sees Da Worfster approaching fast and furious and tries to reassure him that there is a place for a Bass player left.
Kindly accepts the balm from bobsticks. Ahhhhhh that sounds much better.

One and a two and a one.....

Bernd:5:

GMichael
08-25-2006, 08:18 AM
Worf kicks open the door, glowers angrily around the room and bellows..

"Which one ya Ras Clot, Bumba Clod thievin' Pirates dug up me gange!!!!!??? Me nah spend 8 months raisin dem up from seed for yar raggedy ass ta steal!!! Git ready ta meet ya maka cause I an I fixn' to cut ya troat!!!!" He pulls a machete from waist and marches forward menacingly.

Da Worfster

That would be me sir. But don't worry, there's plenty more. There are several farmers among us. Take all ya like. But you do need to go get your base :5: and return.
The party is warming up.:16: :23:

Anybody know any Jethro Tull?

Resident Loser
08-25-2006, 08:31 AM
...if it was Scottish or Norwegian...Pours another glass of Arnold Palmer's Peach-flavored Lemonade-Iced tea...offers, and is rebuffed with numerous howls of derisive laughter...Exits room and re-enters with a guitar case and battery-operated Pignose...plugs in the gold-top LP and when the blues jam ends, starts to play a finger-style version of Willie Nelson's Crazy...

jimHJJ(...seems appropriate...)

Bernd
08-25-2006, 08:43 AM
Wecomes RL to the session and answers him that it is indeed scandinavian. Watches in awe as RLs fingers dance on the fret board.
Having a look at Audiodude playing the intro to We will rock you.
Beverages seem to run very low. Puts his hat on the floor and starts to Tap Dance for some beer money.

Worf101
08-25-2006, 09:44 AM
That would be me sir. But don't worry, there's plenty more. There are several farmers among us. Take all ya like. But you do need to go get your base :5: and return.
The party is warming up.:16: :23:

Worf shakes his head mightily, he HATES it when a good bloodthirsty rage is defussed, quite nicely I might add, by libation and music. "Ras Clod Hippies!!!!" he mutters as he pulls his '68 Les Paul Recording Bass out of the closet and fires up the vintage Ampeg B-15.

"Ahm doin dis unda protest till I get's all me lambs breath back! Now, what key is dis here song in?"

Da Worfster

kexodusc
08-25-2006, 09:53 AM
(kex - regrets ever jackin' this thread and fueling the blunt breathin firewater drinkin clowns that are likely to get him arrested just for being here, remarking on what a strange and pointless direction this thread has taken...then realizes despite the 6 jars of peanuts he's downed, he's still freakin' hungry...)

Resident Loser
08-25-2006, 10:18 AM
...fires up the vintage Ampeg B-15...

...the old flip-top in that nifty textured, blue-grey covering...Buddy of mine used to play his Farfisa Compact Combo through it...really a great amp...

jimHJJ(...it was '66 I think...)

Resident Loser
08-25-2006, 10:20 AM
(kex - regrets ever jackin' this thread...what a strange and pointless direction this thread has taken...)

...the best thing that could have happened to it...

jimHJJ(...IMHO...)

kexodusc
08-25-2006, 11:18 AM
...the best thing that could have happened to it...

jimHJJ(...IMHO...)

Touche, RL, touche!

Resident Loser
08-25-2006, 11:37 AM

...Hymn 43 or Locomotive Breath...key of E...

jimHJJ(...da-da-da daa da da...In the shuffling madness...)

GMichael
08-25-2006, 11:43 AM
...Hymn 43 or Locomotive Breath...key of E...

jimHJJ(...da-da-da daa da da...In the shuffling madness...)

OK, Everybody ready? 1 and a 2 and hit it!:5:

JohnMichael
08-25-2006, 12:06 PM
JohnMichael perks up when the good tunes start and cheers the guys. Greatfully reaches for some of RL's cool beverage because the martinis and smoke have left the inside of his mouth feeling like cotton. JM has forgotten how quickly martinis can kick his butt. Apologizes to GMichael for the earlier rude gesture.

audio_dude
08-25-2006, 12:14 PM
Walks outside, fires up the BBQ and lays some nice juicy sirloin steaks on the grill, the smoke wafts gleefully inside the party house and the drool starts drippin...

Steak anyone?

GMichael
08-25-2006, 12:16 PM
Walks outside, fires up the BBQ and lays some nice juicy sirloin steaks on the grill, the smoke wafts gleefully inside the party house and the drool starts drippin...

Steak anyone?

I'm here with plate in hand. Do you have one that's still pink inside? Got any home fries?

L.J.
08-25-2006, 12:25 PM
..... "what the"......the room is filled with people and music is hitting hard. He smells the Q and says "that's what I'm talkin' bout". Grabs a plate, enjoys the grub. Looks over and is baffled as to why Worf is wearing a pirate get up :shocked:

audio_dude
08-25-2006, 12:58 PM
yup, homefries and steaks for all!

(and maybe some aspirin for those of us with hangovers ;))

markw
08-25-2006, 02:37 PM
...one eye pops open.... then the other. head turns in general direction of that heavenly smell. ..body drags itself up off the ground and follows nose to the origin of that delicious oderl... Grabs plate and waits for a mediun rare sample and looks for a fork and knife.

After being unsudssessful in hunt for utensils and wolfing it down in three bites, goes outside and roots around trunk of '68 Deville and roots around in trunk until he locates hidden bottle of Cardinal Mendoza Brandy.

Comes back inside, smiling, holding the bottle of brandy and a pitcher of warm water and asks where the snifters are.

Bernd
08-26-2006, 01:01 AM
That delicous smell of the Steaks hit's the nose and opens eyes. Still jet-lagged detaches Harmonica from lips and dives into the survival sack again and reveals to markw's amazement a bottle of Metaxa seven star brandy.
Grabs a plate and scrambles outside and asks audiodude for a rare one. Enjoys the food and good company. Takes a seat on the porch and watches the sun rise. Life is good. Suddenly a thought. No coffee!!! "Anyone for a cup of mud?" Fills the Percolator and the smell of freshly brewed dark roast brazilian coffee fills the air.
Yes life is good.
Thinks-where are we anyway?

musicoverall
08-26-2006, 06:00 AM
- slowly wakes up - removes audioquest cable connector from ear.
- thinks "hey, these things really DO sound different!"
- stumbles into Bernd, who spills hot coffee on my leg
- runs screaming to the water fountain but stopped by smell of cooking steak
- steak juice on lips, walks up to RL and holding out hands, says "Hey, isn't that the guitar Jimmy Page used to play"?
- is beat down by RL who engages the triangle choke without missing a lick on his LP
- tries to tap out but passes out first
- dreams of sneakily replacing E-Stat's JPS Lab cables with zipcord
- E Stat hears difference immediately and slaps me unconscious.
- enjoys another blissful unconsciousness in dream as well as real life....

JohnMichael
08-26-2006, 07:33 AM
Enjoying an excellent medium rare steak and my compliments to the chef. All of a sudden flashes back to similar parties in college. Good smoke, drink, music, food and friends.

audio_dude
08-26-2006, 09:19 AM
ahh yer all likin my steaks, eh? now, whos going to get the coors and canadian?

E-Stat
08-26-2006, 09:48 AM
like the Mythbuster's video of the three speed diesel powered subwoofer? I thought it was inspired!

rw

audio_dude
08-26-2006, 05:59 PM
LOL it was awesome, didn't one company have a 48" or something sub?

GMichael
08-27-2006, 06:03 AM
The beer is here! I've got 4 kegs and 6 taps. Who's got the other 2 kegs? I'll set the first 4 up over in this corner. There's Heineken, Genus Extra Stout, Extra Stock Ale and Sam Adams. I think there are some cups in this room. HEY! Did anyone see this pool table in here? Who's ready to play?

E-Stat
08-27-2006, 06:12 AM
LOL it was awesome, didn't one company have a 48" or something sub?
Well, the mythwoofer was 51" and produced 161 db at...get this... 16 hz!

rw

Mark_IDT
08-27-2006, 06:57 AM
Well Ok I got one thing right ya'll have enjoyed this thread!

I should probably explain myself now that you all think some way of me although I'm not sure what that way is. So here's it I was way more wasted than all you before you all entered this thread. I was watching tv (mythbusters) no less and reading some BS that ppl think is true and being disgustipated I started this. Now it's time to get wasted again:cornut:

Worf101
08-27-2006, 08:38 AM
...the old flip-top in that nifty textured, blue-grey covering...Buddy of mine used to play his Farfisa Compact Combo through it...really a great amp...

jimHJJ(...it was '66 I think...)
That's THE classic amp. Combine that with a Fender Precision bass , add the playing skills of James Jamerson and you've the combo that played on more Number One records than any in the history of recorded music. Simple as that. Beautiful amp.

Da Worfster

Worf101
08-27-2006, 08:42 AM
..... "what the"......the room is filled with people and music is hitting hard. He smells the Q and says "that's what I'm talkin' bout". Grabs a plate, enjoys the grub. Looks over and is baffled as to why Worf is wearing a pirate get up :shocked:
Pirate??? Moi!!! Never!!!! How darest you mistake my Manly Klingon Garb for Johnny Depp leftovers... Where's me Battleff!!! First they steal all my gange and smoke it up now theyr'e insultin' me!!!! Arrrrgh!!!!

BY THE BUBBLING BLODD OF KALESS!!!!

Urr, ahh.. woops. Wait till this tune is finished I'll deal with you in a minute!!!!

Da Worfster

musicoverall
08-27-2006, 08:49 AM
Well Ok I got one thing right ya'll have enjoyed this thread!

I should probably explain myself now that you all think some way of me although I'm not sure what that way is. So here's it I was way more wasted than all you before you all entered this thread. I was watching tv (mythbusters) no less and reading some BS that ppl think is true and being disgustipated I started this. Now it's time to get wasted again:cornut:

This thread got hijacked simply because we've done the myth-thing to death! Some folks around here have experienced some things personally that aren't supported by current science, some either have not or don't want to waste their time on something unproven. Neither side gives an inch. Nice try, though! And it certainly was fun!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go see my new best friend GMichael... you know... the guy with all the beer! :D

Bernd
08-27-2006, 09:01 AM
Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go see my new best friend GMichael... you know... the guy with all the beer! :D

I am right behind you. Hey GMichael I have got the other two. One Pilsner Urquell and one Grolsch.
Anyone knows where and when the next gathering of Audiofools will be?

Peace

GMichael
08-27-2006, 10:43 AM
I am right behind you. Hey GMichael I have got the other two. One Pilsner Urquell and one Grolsch.
Anyone knows where and when the next gathering of Audiofools will be?

Peace

Here are the other 2 taps. You can put the extra foam in the big bucket on the end. Save it for me.
Time to start some taste testing. I found these great 32 oz goblets. Here's one for you. There are plenty more in the billiard room. I'm thinking one mug of each beer/ale should be a good start for me. :biggrin5:
Worf's Ganga is on the table by the coutch. The hawaiian is in the cabnet on the far end. The gold, red and sense are behind that. Knock yourself out anyway you like.

audio_dude
08-27-2006, 02:28 PM
hey, beer!

runs outside yet again and returns with a funnel and a hose...

hooks it up to the heiny and shoves it down Gmicheals throat and yells "CHUG, CHUG, CHUG, CHUG!!!"

GMichael
08-27-2006, 05:47 PM
Glug glug cough' glug snort cough.. spirt glug gasp....glug glug......

cough cough.. everyon. cough snort.. look ou. spew.........................

JohnMichael
08-28-2006, 06:48 AM
Whoa man, the party is still going strong. Just like the old days.:cornut:

audio_dude
08-29-2006, 09:17 AM
ewwww....wipes beer off face...

well, you managed a quarter of the keg, not bad... Gmicheal? hello? uh-oh,, *sees Gmicheal spread-eagle on the floor* slowly backs away then strides away whistling...

Worf101
08-29-2006, 10:30 AM
ewwww....wipes beer off face...

well, you managed a quarter of the keg, not bad... Gmicheal? hello? uh-oh,, *sees Gmicheal spread-eagle on the floor* slowly backs away then strides away whistling...

Worf pokes GMan's beer swollen torso with his Batleff, shakes his head and walks away muttering.

"Damn Starfleet pukes can't hold their liquor!"

Da Worfster

GMichael
08-29-2006, 11:05 AM
Suddenly, a loud ass fart comes bellowing out of G-man's butt. The echo can be heard for several seconds. Then he jumps to his feet. His hair is everywhere like Jim Ignatowski's on Taxi. Burps so loud that some of the ceiling tiles come loose and fall. He runs over to the last keg. Pulls the tap out and lifts the keg over his open mouth and begins chugging. After about a minute he throws the empty keg to the floor.

Who's up for another beer run? Slips on the foam and hits his head on the way to the floor.

GMichael
08-29-2006, 12:08 PM
Staggers back to his feet. Sees his blood on the floor and proclaims it blood wine. Thinks of Worf, and wonders where Sir TT has been. Slips into a chair and hopes the room stops spinning long enough for him to get his J lit.

audio_dude
08-30-2006, 10:54 AM
opens curtain...

holy s h i t!! COPS!!! everybody, RUN!!! we'll have to find some other thread to hi-jack and party in some other day, but its been fun...*BANG* (door falls down) "EVERYBODY FREEZY!!!"

daviethek
08-30-2006, 11:24 AM
for those who dont live near the best anymore. methane buildup followed by reliable an profound elimination. no myth at all. Zuzu the cat is eyin up my liver again.

markw
08-30-2006, 02:28 PM
opens curtain...

holy s h i t!! COPS!!! everybody, RUN!!! we'll have to find some other thread to hi-jack and party in some other day, but its been fun...*BANG* (door falls down) "EVERYBODY FREEZY!!!"...it turns out that these "cops" are all females,and quite tasty ones at that. All appear in their early twenties, have a twinkle in their eyes and a wicked smile on their faces. They take off their hats, letting their long hair fall down below their shoulders and shake their heads to fluff it out.

Someone drops on Ravel's Bolero (Charles Munch and the BSO on RCA's Living Stereo, naturally)

They lock eyes with as many of us as possible and start gyrating and stick the ends of their guns in their mouths. Their cheeks draw in as they start gyrating as they start moving towards us...

...oops, the ever lovely mrsw just got home. see yas later. ;)

audio_dude
08-30-2006, 05:19 PM
hehehe *takes a seat*

takes a look at the 3 "cops" and picks the brunette closest to him, digs into pocket and grabs a wad of $1 bills

bobsticks
08-31-2006, 05:17 AM
...it turns out that these "cops" are all females,and quite tasty ones at that. All appear in their early twenties, have a twinkle in their eyes and a wicked smile on their faces. They take off their hats, letting their long hair fall down below their shoulders and shake their heads to fluff it out.

Someone drops on Ravel's Bolero (Charles Munch and the BSO on RCA's Living Stereo, naturally)

They lock eyes with as many of us as possible and start gyrating and stick the ends of their guns in their mouths. Their cheeks draw in as they start gyrating as they start moving towards us...

...oops, the ever lovely mrsw just got home. see yas later. ;)

...'Sticks rejoins patry with a renewed sense of interest...

GMichael
08-31-2006, 05:41 AM
Wakes up, rubbs eyes, looks at all the hot babes stripping to Rag Doll, get's up & runs to the men's room to shave his tounge, comes back in with a wadd of singles.

JohnMichael
08-31-2006, 08:56 AM
The party just ended for me. See ya men. Have fun and don't spend all your $1's in one place.

Resident Loser
08-31-2006, 10:20 AM
...Alfalfa, I'm hardly a member of the he-man, woman-haters club but, things seemed to be going on quite nicely before the ersatz coppers drew their 38s...It seems our little jam session/beer bash has been reduced to a rather tawdry affair...Is nothing sacred?

jimHJJ(...I'll take my tea'n'see y'all later...)

musicoverall
08-31-2006, 10:28 AM
...Musicoverall wakes up, sees lady cops, hears Audiodude say something about reaching in his pocket and grabbing his wad, realizes A'dude means his own pocket and the wad is a wad of dollar bills, relaxes and joins the party. :D

GMichael
08-31-2006, 10:33 AM
...Alfalfa, I'm hardly a member of the he-man, woman-haters club but, things seemed to be going on quite nicely before the ersatz coppers drew their 38s...It seems our little jam session/beer bash has been reduced to a rather tawdry affair...Is nothing sacred?

jimHJJ(...I'll take my tea'n'see y'all later...)

Are you saying that I should ask Angelina Jolie, Jessica Alba and Eva Longoria to leave?!

musiclover60
09-01-2006, 08:05 PM
...walks into room and notices carnage; bodies, brews, funny smelling cig. Looks at all the great equipment not pumping out even a single note and asks "Did anybody remember to pay the electric bill?" Walks back into reality...

thekid
09-02-2006, 03:17 AM
man walks into room followed by all the defense lawyers of people "sued" by bose for bose bashing (including the lawyer of the college student sued writing for school newspaper who bashed bose). immediately hit with various empty bottles and cans while being yelled at that he is in the wrong *&%#ing room!

hot chicks see lawyers in expensive suits - ditch man with tongue stubble- leave with lawyers as crowd cries - man picks up half drank bottle thrown at him along with couple of peanuts found on floor- Thinks to himself "free food"- pops peanuts in mouth and washes peanuts down with the beer- thanks everyone as bottle and cans continue to be thrown-man grabs a few more half drank bottles-stuffs them in pockets-leaves room

thepogue
09-02-2006, 05:05 PM
beers....smokes....and insane conversations...:idea:

I miss you guys....

Peace, Pogue