Can't identify this bose subwoofer [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Can't identify this bose subwoofer

someguy03
08-21-2006, 11:57 AM
There is a guy offering to sell me his subwoofer:

http://i8.ebayimg.com/03/i/08/0a/72/6e_1.JPG
http://i8.ebayimg.com/02/i/08/0a/71/b0_1_b.JPG

Now, it says Bose AM-5 on the subwoofer. But I look it up and NONE of the pictures look like the one displayed. Can anyone tell me why this is and what model it really is?

N. Abstentia
08-21-2006, 12:12 PM
That's not even a subwoofer. It's a midbass module, and a crappy one at that.

Woochifer
08-21-2006, 12:19 PM
This looks like one of the early Acoustimass bass modules from the mid-80s. They've gone through multiple revisions to the AM-5, which was the first Acoustimass model that Bose introduced. It's not a true subwoofer by any stretch, and I would steer clear of it for any number of reasons.

For one thing, it does not extend very far into the bass range, and is not especially accurate.

Also, unless you plan to use speakers with fragile 2.5" drivers like the AM-5, I would steer clear of this bass module for the simple reason that its internal (and nonadjustable) crossover cuts off the signal going back out to the speaker at way too high a frequency. This creates a huge frequency gap between the lower frequency where the speaker cuts off and the high frequency where the bass module rolls off.

And by design, the bass module is forced to reproduce parts of the lower midrange that are supposed to be reproduced by the main speakers. All of these design compromises are for sake of reducing the size of the satellite units and using the cheap drivers that Bose specifies. If you already have a halfway decent set of bookshelf speakers, using it with an AM-5 bass module will give you disastrous results.

If you have a home theater receiver, a passive sub like this one is the wrong design anyway. With a home theater receiver, you should go with an active sub and use the receiver's bass management controls. Starting around $300, you can get true subwoofers that will grow with your system and deliver the performance gain that subs are supposed to.

someguy03
08-21-2006, 12:26 PM
I have massive fronts from Technics (4 feet tall) so i dont want to be running crappy audio in them. And alright, thanks! I didn't think it sounded right.

JohnMichael
08-21-2006, 01:04 PM
Yes it is from the first edition Bose 3 piece system.

misterq4u
08-21-2006, 01:19 PM
OMG!!! I've been looking for this one my whole life!!!
How much do they want for it? I'll pay anything they're asking.
Quick, please send me your bank account and routing number to make sure you get the deposit.
Here is my name and address:

Iamanogood Scripamoff
666 West Timbuktu Tr
Bancoluo, Nigeria.

someguy03
08-21-2006, 01:54 PM
haha, funny.

GMichael
08-21-2006, 01:59 PM
OMG!!! I've been looking for this one my whole life!!!
How much do they want for it? I'll pay anything they're asking.
Quick, please send me your bank account and routing number to make sure you get the deposit.
Here is my name and address:

Iamanogood Scripamoff
666 West Timbuktu Tr
Bancoluo, Nigeria.

I sent you a check in the mail Mr .Scripamoff. :ciappa: