Spinning Shellac [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Spinning Shellac

musicoverall
08-20-2006, 06:02 PM
I posted recently about needing a 78 RPM spinner. I ended up buying a Vestax BDT2500 with two headshells, one with a Shure 78 cartridge and one with a Shure M97xE for LP's, the theory being that if I ever get another "second" system, this unit could go there and not do injustice to my treasured vinyl.

Anyway, the thing is great for 78's and I'm having a blast! After playing some 78's on that clunky GE unit, I had no idea that some of them could pack such a sonic wallop! I'm not going to insult anyone's intelligence by waxing rhapsodasically on their audiophile virtues. There's not much information below, I'd say, 100 hz nor about 10Khz but what is there can really be stunning. Some small group jazz really comes across wonderfully as does some of the hawaiian guitar music. Big band jazz shellac gets the essence of the music if not it's total power. Ditto symphonic music. But it sure is fun and interesting. I've even picked up a few gems from Ebay such as an Art Hodes Blue Note disc, Pablo Casals playing Bach's "Cello Suites" and Satchmo's "West End Blues", just because that's a favorite of mine and it just seems right to play it as it was originally intended. I even found an antique shop and flushed out a few jewels among the Doris Days, Dinah Shores and such. Picked up 11 and paid $15.

Wow, what a fun hobby this is! Screw the hardware, music listening is where the excitement is! :)