Does my receiver accept banana plugs? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Does my receiver accept banana plugs?

maldito
08-20-2006, 05:32 PM
I'm a newbie and I wanted to know how I can tell if my receiver accepts banana plugs. I have the Sony STR-DE997 receiver made in 2004. It has 'Screw Type' speaker connectors and the manual is no help! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

likeitloud
08-21-2006, 03:53 AM
Yes, the plugs go in the opening in front of the connector. Loosen the connector (knob)
push plug in firmly..don't go crazy..and spin connector to lock in.

JohnMichael
08-21-2006, 07:20 AM
I do not know if this is the case for Sony but two of my integrated amps were shipped with soft inserts where the banana plugs would go. I pulled them out with tweezers and then was able to insert the banana plugs.

maldito
08-21-2006, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the reply likeitloud and JohnMichael !

I was also wondering if using banana plugs actually improves the sound quality? Wouldn't connecting a bare wire alone have a more direct connection with the binding posts on speakers and to the receiver?

likeitloud
08-21-2006, 09:04 PM

I was also wondering if using banana plugs actually improves the sound quality? Wouldn't connecting a bare wire alone have a more direct connection with the binding posts on speakers and to the receiver?

Bare wire in a perfect world would be ideal, however for ease of attaching the wire
I use plugs on the source end, and bare wire for the speaker, I've moved my amp
a few times, and it was just handy, also plugs eliminate any issues of a wire touching
the metal panel, or worse the neighboring wire, causing all kinds of nasty things
to happen, also I spent alot of time getting things organized, and plugs helped.
Hope this helps, good luck

musiclover60
08-25-2006, 05:39 AM

As likeitloud said "in a perfect world...". There is no (or very, very little) noticable difference in sound quality between using banana plugs and wire straight to the binding posts....when you first make the connection. That being said, when you make a straight wire to binding post connection keep in mind:

1. The wire ends can corrode, break off little pieces (I hate that), and come loose from the posts, etc.
2. Banana plugs are more resistant to corrosion, don't have little pieces breaking off (at least they're not supposed to), and don't come loose from the binding posts as easy.

Plus, any wire thicker than 16 gauge is a real pain to hook into/onto binding posts, and if you're still experimenting with speaker placement banana plugs are a lot more convenient!

Happy listening!

Fergymunster
08-27-2006, 02:41 PM

If you don't already have speaker cables might I suggest the AQ type 2 speaker wire.I have it bi-wired to my Denon Mini system.And since I bought two eight foot pieces from a dealer it was cut from bulk form so I'm using the wire itself.This is fine for now as I don't need bananas,spades etc...I do agree though that down the road you might need them for the corrosion problem.However,with my approach it should last a couple of years unless humidity and the such take over but I'm not really that concerned.Good luck

maldito
08-28-2006, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the help guys! It's all very useful information for a newbie like myself. I think I'm going to buy a few banana plugs because I connected my new speakers using bare wire only and there is a slight problem... I hear an occasional 'popping noise' when I walk close to the receiver.. this happens when the receiver is on or off.. and very annoying when listening to music. My guess is that it's due to a bad connection?? I hope the banana plugs will solve this problem.. and yes connecting the bare wire (14g) to the receiver was a real pain!