Judging Godfather III on its own. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Judging Godfather III on its own.

Smokey
08-20-2006, 11:08 AM
Recently bought the Godfather movies box set and tried to evaluate GF III on its own and without linking it to movies that proceed it. And it does holds up pretty well.

There are some weak periods with performers such as Sophia Coppola and Andy Garcia, but strong performance form Pacino, Tali Shire and Eli Wallach very well make up for it. The plot seem to be slightly “hurried” as compared with I and II, but it might be because Coppola tries to warp up everything in last installation.

And the soundtrack succeed in setting up right mood for the movie.

http://www.whatdvd.net/WhatDVD-Graphics/main/592.jpg

kexodusc
08-20-2006, 12:39 PM
I agree, this movie was only subpar when judged against the other 2 Godfather films. And not by much in my opinion. Truth is things can get a bit stale by v.3 and I think that was its greatest flaw.

Smokey
08-20-2006, 06:58 PM
Truth is things can get a bit stale by v.3 and I think that was its greatest flaw.

Good point Kex.

I have also heard that Paramount was pushing Coppola to finish the movie before the end of year, as to be released around Christmas holiday of 1990. It might have needed little bit more polishing.

superpanavision70mm
08-20-2006, 09:13 PM
Well, one cool thing is that 1990 was the 'YEAR OF THE GANGSTER' flix....

MILLERS CROSSING
THE KRAYS
GODFATHER III
GOODFELLAS
THE GRIFTERS
and one of my personal and incredibly underrated favorites STATE OF GRACE.

Smokey
08-22-2006, 01:07 PM
Well, one cool thing is that 1990 was the 'YEAR OF THE GANGSTER' flix....

MILLERS CROSSING
THE KRAYS
GODFATHER III
GOODFELLAS
THE GRIFTERS
and one of my personal and incredibly underrated favorites STATE OF GRACE.

Damn, that was a good year for Gangster movies.

I have heard alot about State of Grace, but never seen it. Might have to check it out. It got alot of good actors (and my favorites) such as Sean Penn, Gary Oldman and John Turturro.

superpanavision70mm
08-24-2006, 02:36 AM
STATE OF GRACE is highly underrated by and by. First off, just track down the MGM DVD, which you could easily find dirt cheap I am sure. It's a solid transfer so you can see the film in scope and the cinematography is awesome...esp towards the end. Also the 5.1 mix shows off some of the interesting musical depth that the film has. This film is directed by the guy who has done U2 music videos in the past. Gary Oldman is top notch as usual, Turturro is good even though a small role, Sean Penn is very good, Robin Wright very good, Ed Harris incredibly good, and even the side roles are well done.