Paradigm Monitor, Infinity Alpha for HT? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Paradigm Monitor, Infinity Alpha for HT?

brisa_da_praia
02-03-2004, 03:02 AM
Hi,

I'm living in Brasil and I intend to build up a 5.1 HT. Regarding the speakers and related to my budget I am stuck now to two options:

Option 1:
Front: Paradigm Monitor 7V3
Rear: Paradigm Monitor 3V3
Center: Paradigm CC-370 V3
Sub: Paradigm PDR 10 V3 or Velodyne CHT 10

Option 2:
Front: Infinity Alpha 50
Rear: Infinty Alpha 20
Center: Infinity Alpha Center or Infinity Alpha 37c
Sub: Infinity Alpha 1200S or Velodyne CHT 10

The room is about 20 sqm; a good performance for music (stereo) is important. Ratio music / HT may be about 60:40. Receiver shall be DENON AVR 2803.

The Paradigms are about U$ 2700 where the Infinitys are about U$ 2100. If there are users that have already compared both sets or have any experience I would be happy to get some feedback.

Thanks a lot.

kexodusc
02-03-2004, 04:52 AM
You'll probably find a bit better detail in the Monitors than in the Alpha's, though the Monitors will sound a tad bit bright by comparison. For HT I don't think you can really compare these two makes together, in my experience the Monitor line has more soundstage, better imaging, and is a just a slightly better balanced speaker than the Alpha's.
I would make suggestion based on my experience with several of Paradigm's products.
Rather than buying the Monitor 7's and Monitor 3's, I'd suggest you buy Monitor 5's or Monitor 3's for front main speakers, and Mini Monitors or Monitor 3's for Rears. Then you could put the money you save into a better subwoofer, like the PS or preferably the PW line from Paradigm, or other brands if they are available. I suggest this for two reasons.

First, you will probably enjoy the added bass response of a better sub-woofer matched to the Monitor 3 or Monitor 5 speakers over a pair of Monitor 7's and a PDR-10. The larger Monitor 7's in my opinion don't add enough bass for the cost, or improve on the midrange or higher frequencies over any of the other speakers in the Monitor line. Essentially, you are just spending money for a larger speaker. Likewise with the Monitor 3 rears. I have plenty of experience with the Mini Monitors, and I'm 100% positive you will find them just as adequate as rear speakers as you would the Monitor 3's. But the your choice of rears isn't quite as important as front mains...keep Monitor 3 rears if you insist. Lose the Monitor 7's.

Second, I have my doubts about the cabinet construction of the Monitor 7's and how it impacts the sound quality. In fact, most floorstanding tower speakers in this price range or lower often have cabinet structures that compromise the integrity of the speaker, and ultimately affect the sound in a negative way. In my opinion, based on several visits to my local Paradigm dealer, and my friends Monitor system, the Monitor 5 is an all-round better sounding speaker, and the Monitor 3 is a better value than the Monitor 7. If you can find a set of stands for the front speakers relatively cheap, or build your own, the money you save buying Monitor 3's or Monitor 5's (and Mini Monitors for rears) you could upgrade that subwoofer and have a better balanced system.

I can't say it strongly enough, Monitor 3's or Monitor 5's and a better sub-woofer will sound much better than the Monitor 7's and the PDR-10.

F1
02-03-2004, 05:49 AM
I would make suggestion based on my experience with several of Paradigm's products.
Rather than buying the Monitor 7's and Monitor 3's, I'd suggest you buy Monitor 5's or Monitor 3's for front main speakers, and Mini Monitors or Monitor 3's for Rears. Then you could put the money you save into a better subwoofer, like the PS or preferably the PW line from Paradigm, or other brands if they are available. ......

Totally agree. Even Mini Monitor used as front is sufficient. Save the money for better subwoofer. However, I have some reservation with Paradigm sub. My short experience with PW 2200 (I think) in a store just gave me a lot of boom and headache. Probably it was not set up properly or I'm not sure why. But I never have such problem with my Hsu VTF-2. Good luck.

brisa_da_praia
02-03-2004, 06:12 AM
Hi ,

thanks for the fast reply.

I can't say it strongly enough, Monitor 3's or Monitor 5's and a better sub-woofer will sound much better than the Monitor 7's and the PDR-10.

I will strongly consider this advise especially that the set including the Monitor 7 is at the upper limit of my budget anyway...

Anyway, I would also be interested in any opinion about the Velodyne CHT 10 (or CHT 12) as an alternative subwoofer. Any advise about that one??

And as I mentioned in my first post I am living in Brasil, so the choice of brandnames is limited, especially if the budget is limited. For the money I spend here I would have really nice alternatives in US or Europe...E.g. an official imported Marantz SR 4400 is offered for U$750!! Not to talk about listening to equipment before buying; I have to travel about 600km to Sao Paulo and see different stores there...

If somebody could give me as well some more feedback regarding the Infinity's!?

kexodusc
02-03-2004, 06:36 AM
Velodyne is a good choice for subs, but there are dozens of good subs out there. The PW-2200 is a very good subwoofer as well, when hooked up and set properly. Find one with an adequate power amplifier (more the better) that sounds good to you.
I've never been as fussy with sub-woofers as speakers, I find they are all usually very good and so close to each other in performance, that looks and price ends up being the deciding factor. To my knowledge, timbre matching or brand matching isn't even as important with subs in a home theatre set up as speakers.

The Infinity line is also a good line of speakers, just overpriced compared to the Paradigm's in my opinion (or slightly poorer performing, depending how you look at it).
Depending on prices in your region, availability etc, they might be a viable alternative to the Monitor series. I don't own either the Monitor line or the Alpha's but I've always ranked the Monitors slightly ahead of the Alphas. You should do your own tests, preferably at the same location at the same time if possible. And using music you are very familiar with.