Projector has no HDMI/DVI, I'm screwed? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Projector has no HDMI/DVI, I'm screwed?

someguy03
08-18-2006, 12:14 PM
For movies (and sometimes games) in my home theater room, I use a projector. It has VGA, S-Video, and Component inputs. I want to get an upscaling DVD player, but it uses HDMI output (and my projector doesn't have it). I also want to get a HD-player in the future, but I am aware that I need DVI or HDMI in order to avoid being screwed by HDCP protection. Am I already out of luck in both aspects? For the Upscaling DVD player, Would hooking it to a DVI-to-VGA converter cable work?

N. Abstentia
08-18-2006, 01:27 PM
My neighbor actually uses a DVI-VGA convertor with his Samsung upscaling DVD player. Works pretty good.

What resolutions does your projector support though? Might want to make sure it will support 720 and 1080 first.

edtyct
08-18-2006, 02:29 PM
N. Ab, he should be told that the conversion from DVI-D to VGA (analog) is a relatively expensive proposition, around $400--unlike the conversion from DVI-I (analog) to VGA (analog), which is relatively easy. And since a converter of this type is mainly for use with a computer monitor, it is unlikely to be HDCP-compliant and thus not work with the projector. If however, the DVI-D equipped DVD player isn't HDCP-compliant, as many of the early ones weren't, it should be okay. In any event, an HD disk player will certainly require HDCP via HDMI.