Help? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help?

cajunseo
08-17-2006, 02:46 PM
If I have a seperate equalizer and wish to hook it to my Denon AVR 1803 receiver, what is needed on the receiver to make it work? It CDR/Tape hook ups and I am trying to hook it up there but it is not working. Am I doing something wrong or is something special needed on the receiver itself?

Thanks,

Micky

bfalls
08-18-2006, 05:02 AM
You can either connect it through your tape monitor loop, or on many receivers there's a processor loop (pre-out, main-in). On an older receiver my monitor loop is on tape2 and you need to select tape monitor.

markw
08-18-2006, 05:14 AM
If I have a seperate equalizer and wish to hook it to my Denon AVR 1803 receiver, what is needed on the receiver to make it work? It CDR/Tape hook ups and I am trying to hook it up there but it is not working. Am I doing something wrong or is something special needed on the receiver itself?

Thanks,

MickyMost modern HT receivers don't have the required line out/in facilities that older stereo receivers offered as a matter of course with their traditional tape monitor loops.

Most of the modern "tape out" and "tape in" jacks are totally uinrelated to each other.

to wit: Your "tape out" may send the signal to an external device but you need to select that external device via a separate input. That won't work for an eq where the signal needs to go out, pass thru the eq, and be returned to the receiver immediately without kerfutzing with the source selector.

With the older, traditional "tape monitor" scenario, the signal would be sent out the "tape out" and, when you pressed the tape monitor switch, the signal would then be returned (looped back) from that external device via the "tape in". That's why they called it a "loop".

If you have preamp outs and main inputs you could use them. They will provide that "loop" the eq needs.

cajunseo
08-20-2006, 07:41 AM
How do I find out if I have a "tape loop"?

markw
08-20-2006, 09:05 AM
How do I find out if I have a "tape loop"?You look for a switch on the front panel labelled "tape monitor" and four RCA jacks (two pairs) on the back labelled "tape out"* and "tape in".

If you have it, which I strongly doubt, you would connect the "tape out" from the receiver to the input of the eq. You would then connect the output of the eq to the "tape in" on the receiver.

When the "tape monitor" switch is out, you will hear the source directly, or with no eq applied. With it in, you will be feeding the signal to the eq and back to the receiver.

* "mon out" and "mon in"