Is it just me? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me?

ForeverAutumn
08-17-2006, 08:59 AM
Or does 2006 seem like a bit of a dud, musically, so far. I've only picked up a handful of new releases this year. By this time last year, I had a couple of dozen new CDs in my collection. Not all were 2005 releases, some were 2004 that I was still catching up on.

Is anyone else finding this to be a slow year?

GMichael
08-17-2006, 09:07 AM
Not. I'm having trouble finding many new CD's that I like also. I've been catching up on old stuff that's been remastered lately.

Stone
08-17-2006, 09:16 AM
Not really a slow year for good music, but nothing has really leapt into the "excellent" stratosphere for me, yet. Although the Liars record is close.

Dusty Chalk
08-17-2006, 09:19 AM
I've found a couple things, but not a tear-away-from-the-pack release this year. The Camille record that I'm in love with technically came out last year. And I've been listening to a lot more sedate music (due to the rule of listening to instrumental music at work), so some of it is my fault.

Although I really dig that Under The Influence Of Giants record.

Just think of it as time to catch up on some older stuff.

3-LockBox
08-17-2006, 10:44 AM
Well, I don't do indie flavor of the month, but if you're talking prog...the year opened with a lot of promise, but yeah, nothin's jumped out at me either. But then again, everything came out in the few months of the year. Maybe it'll pick up towards the end of the year.

Slosh
08-17-2006, 01:00 PM
Well, I'm listening to The Decemberists - The Crane Wife for the first time just now :cool:. Someone leaked it at Obner last night and this is the first chance I've had to spin it. I usually don't download albums I know I'm gonna buy on release day but what the hell, it's been a pretty slow year. Slow year or not what new albums I have snagged are very high quality. I'll take quality over quanity every time of course.

Case in point:
The Black Heart Procession - The Spell
Calexico - Garden Ruin
Loose Fur - Born Again In The USA
Tool - 10,000 Days (Well, it ain't their best but at least it's better than Lateralus or the last couple of A Perfect Circle albums)
Built To Spill - You In Reverse
Grandaddy - Just Like The Fambly Cat
Willie Nile - Streets Of NY
Slayer - Christ Illusion

Oh, and my friend burned the new Pearl Jam for me on release day but I still haven't spun it :o

And new albums from Sparklehorse, The Shins, Neutral Milk Hotel (?), Clinic, Mastodon . . . . plus more I'm sure I'm forgetting yet to come.

Hmmm, now that I see this list 2006 is kickin' a<a>ss! :)

-Jar-
08-17-2006, 03:45 PM
Well, I'm listening to The Decemberists - The Crane Wife for the first time just now :cool:. Someone leaked it at Obner last night and this is the first chance I've had to spin it. I usually don't download albums I know I'm gonna buy on release day but what the hell, it's been a pretty slow year. Slow year or not what new albums I have snagged are very high quality. I'll take quality over quanity every time of course.

Wow, the Decemberists sure are prolific! That's a good thing. I hate it when good bands string their fans along for years and years..

-jar

Davey
08-17-2006, 08:41 PM
Quite a few good ones for me this year. And a few I'm really looking forward to right around the corner, so I tend to agree with my good buddy Slosh, shaping into a nice year. Kind of low exposure for the most part, but still very high quality.

Four of the sure buys that I'm really looking forward to are ...

Nina Nastasia - On Leaving (Sept 11 in Europe, Sept 19 in US and Can)
Sparklehorse - Dreamt For Light Years In The Belly Of A Mountain (Sept 25)
Wayne Robbins & The Hellsayers - All You Need To Sleep (Sept ??)
Califone - Roots & Crowns (Oct 10)

http://fat-cat.co.uk/fatcat/packshots/325/197_402.jpg (http://fat-cat.co.uk/fatcat/release.php?id=197)

Duds
08-18-2006, 06:09 AM
I've come across a few female artists in 2006 that i enjoy

Susie Suh
Toby Lightman
KT Tunstall

And the Mark Knopfler with Emmy Lou Harris is actually pretty good, although some of the tunes are too country twangy for me

Katatonia's "the Great Cold Distance" is an excellent release for 2006 too.

ToddL
08-19-2006, 07:36 AM
I have found the same for sure. I can't think of anything good, maybe new Tool. I blame the craze of one hit wonder rappers.