Cable vs Dish [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Cable vs Dish

GMichael
08-17-2006, 08:47 AM
Cable vs the dish. Who is the best & why? I'm looking for HDTV in PA.

likeitloud
08-17-2006, 09:22 PM
I had cable all my life, until 6 years ago, when viacom became att, then the service
went down the drain with weekly outages, price hikes and poor reception. I went
to DISH TV, and have never had 1 outage in 7 years, and the hd signal is unreal.
Some people are concerned about cloud cover, as it is a "Line-of-Sight" signal,
however I live in SF, with the crappiest cloud cover in the country, and have had
no issues. Plus you get a very good quality dvr recorder (zenith) with sign-up,
and it was cheaper with the same package as cable. I say, go for it.

L.J.
08-18-2006, 06:20 AM
Cable vs the dish. Who is the best & why? I'm looking for HDTV in PA.

I've always heard dish has better PQ.

GMichael
08-18-2006, 09:37 AM
Do you think it will matter that I am surrounded by tall trees?

paul_pci
08-18-2006, 10:49 AM

It can. We had DirectTv come out to install the HD dish (we already have regular direct tv service) and the guys said they couldn't get the signal because of this one palm tree in the neighbors yard was in the way. They explained that they needed a certain swath of clear sky to receive the signals from the multiple satellites, but no go. Total bummer, but they insisted nothing could be done, given the position of the house, trees, etc.

GMichael
08-18-2006, 10:52 AM
It can. We had DirectTv come out to install the HD dish (we already have regular direct tv service) and the guys said they couldn't get the signal because of this one palm tree in the neighbors yard was in the way. They explained that they needed a certain swath of clear sky to receive the signals from the multiple satellites, but no go. Total bummer, but they insisted nothing could be done, given the position of the house, trees, etc.

I guess it's good that they told you up front. They could have installed it and charged you. Then tell you that you're doing something wrong and that's why your reception sucks.

likeitloud
08-18-2006, 01:26 PM

In dish networks case, they have a few options on were the dish is aimed, theres a
ridge of mountains close to my house, and have had no problems. Also, there
are 3 satellites they choose from. Give them a call, they'll tell you if they service your
area..Good luck.

dean_martin
08-18-2006, 02:04 PM

hmmm...tonight...chainsaw...neighbor's yard...I'm there!

paul_pci
08-18-2006, 02:58 PM
hmmm...tonight...chainsaw...neighbor's yard...I'm there!

Don't think I haven't thought about that. I even suggested to my father that we negotiate with the neighbor, as we have known her for more than 20yrs.