It's4:30... Do you know where your SPL settings are? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : It's4:30... Do you know where your SPL settings are?

Grandpaw
08-16-2006, 01:48 PM
My system has been driving me nuts with my sub-woofer. Lately everything I play just has waaaay too much bass. I adjusted the sub-woofer several times and still it did not sound right so I got out the old RS meter and checked my settings and somehow the bass was turned way up on the setting for the sub, 9+. After I made the correction I am back to being a happy camper again.

The moral of this story is if you haven't checked your setting in awhile you might want too. I have no idea how my settings got changed but they did. May not hurt to take a few minutes and check yours if you haven't checked them lately, Jeff

bobsticks
08-16-2006, 02:07 PM
Hey Grandpaw,
Sound advice, as it were.
A couple of months ago, I was casually spinning the SACD version of Times Squared by The Yellowjackets. Great disc, but the bass channel is freakish. Even at moderate overall levels my subwoofer was shaking walls. Needless to say, I instinctively lowered levels thereby screwing myself for the next few hours.
Most of my issues have arisen from unthinking reaction in non-critical listening situations.

Cheers

Woochifer
08-16-2006, 02:52 PM
If you made any changes to your room, speaker alignment, and seated location, then the SPL readings can change a LOT, especially in the lower frequencies. These changes might seem trivial, but they do change the acoustical conditions of the room so periodic SPL measurements are a smart move.