whats good timbre match for studio20 V.3s [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : whats good timbre match for studio20 V.3s

darth2222
08-16-2006, 11:34 AM
I need to know the best timbre matches for Paradigm Studio 20 V.3 Surrounds and Center Channel. Im going to go with di-polar for surrounds but i just need to know which ones work best
thanks for all who replies

Woochifer
08-16-2006, 12:14 PM
The best timbre match for the Studio 20 v.3 is ... the Studio 20 v.3.

Ideally, you would go with five (or seven) identical speakers all the way around. If you plan to wall-mount a flat panel TV or use a front projector, I would strongly suggest that you use three Studio 20s up front. The horizontal center speaker is better suited to setups where you have a large direct view or rear projection TV. Three Studio 20s will give you the best possible timbre match, while the Studio CC-470 or CC-570 will give you a decent but still compromised timbre match if your setup necessitates using a horizontal center speaker. (I've heard that the CC-570 gives you a better midrange match than the CC-470, but that's also a very large center speaker)

With the surrounds, I generally prefer to go with direct firing surround speakers, as opposed to dipoles. The dipolar effect IMO overly diffuses the sound and reduces the imaging coherency with directional sounds like those found with multichannel music. This is one of those matters of preference because plenty of people do prefer dipoles for surround speakers. But, just know that again, using the Studio 20s for your surrounds will give you a perfect timbre match in a setup with Studio 20s as the mains.

MikeyBC
08-16-2006, 02:17 PM
The best timbre match for the Studio 20 v.3 is ... the Studio 20 v.3.

Ideally, you would go with five (or seven) identical speakers all the way around. If you plan to wall-mount a flat panel TV or use a front projector, I would strongly suggest that you use three Studio 20s up front. The horizontal center speaker is better suited to setups where you have a large direct view or rear projection TV. Three Studio 20s will give you the best possible timbre match, while the Studio CC-470 or CC-570 will give you a decent but still compromised timbre match if your setup necessitates using a horizontal center speaker. (I've heard that the CC-570 gives you a better midrange match than the CC-470, but that's also a very large center speaker)

With the surrounds, I generally prefer to go with direct firing surround speakers, as opposed to dipoles. The dipolar effect IMO overly diffuses the sound and reduces the imaging coherency with directional sounds like those found with multichannel music. This is one of those matters of preference because plenty of people do prefer dipoles for surround speakers. But, just know that again, using the Studio 20s for your surrounds will give you a perfect timbre match in a setup with Studio 20s as the mains.

Yeah...what he said.

N. Abstentia
08-16-2006, 02:23 PM
Agreed, I hate dipoles. Another set of Studio 20's would make much better surrounds and would actually cost less.

If you can't use a Studio 20 for the center, the next best thing would be the Studio CC v.3...the matching center for the Studio series.

kexodusc
08-16-2006, 03:14 PM
Studio 20 is best but WARNING - They have terrible lobing/dispersion issues if placed on their sides as you move off axis - if you get a 20 for the center speaker, stand it upright.

Woochifer
08-16-2006, 03:35 PM
Agreed, I hate dipoles. Another set of Studio 20's would make much better surrounds and would actually cost less.

If you can't use a Studio 20 for the center, the next best thing would be the Studio CC v.3...the matching center for the Studio series.

A quick note ... the Studio CC is a v.2 series model, the Studio CC-470 is the successor to that model in the v.3 series. The much larger CC-570 is a new Studio series center speaker that supposedly creates a better midrange match because it uses a vertically aligned midrange driver just the below the tweeter.

darth2222
08-17-2006, 12:03 AM
So you are saying to use another 20 as my center channel instead of the 470 that would be cheaper. If i cant go with all 20's whats my next best option. Also will denon 2106 be okay for reciever for the 20's

kexodusc
08-17-2006, 05:24 AM
The 2106 is more than enough to get you started with the studio 20's. The CC-570 would be the next best option for a center - design wise, it has several advantages over the cc-470 that more than justify its cost.