Spades for Yamaha [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Spades for Yamaha

c00z
08-15-2006, 11:00 AM
I currently have a Yamaha 4600 and cannot figure out how to have spade ends work for the tuner side. I currently have spades for my speakers but cannot figure out how to work spades for the tuner. Does this tuner accept spades?

Woochifer
08-15-2006, 11:07 AM
If you're trying to attach spades to the tuner you're looking in the wrong place. If you're referring to the RX-V4600 receiver, all you have to do is unscrew the speaker binding posts in the back, attach the spade to the post, and then tighten the screws back down. It should be no different than working with bare wire. The only issue might be the amount of room in the back of the receiver, which might be a bit tight if you got seven sets of spades to tighten down.

c00z
08-15-2006, 11:19 AM
I look at the back of the reciever and I turn the nobs to their outmost position but it will not allow spades to fit in...I can however put bananas and I can put bare wire in...but seem to be unable to fit spades...is this correct or am I missing something since I can see on the web that it should fit in via some product descriptions.

Woochifer
08-15-2006, 12:27 PM
I look at the back of the reciever and I turn the nobs to their outmost position but it will not allow spades to fit in...I can however put bananas and I can put bare wire in...but seem to be unable to fit spades...is this correct or am I missing something since I can see on the web that it should fit in via some product descriptions.

If it doesn't fit, it doesn't fit. Not a lot of room in the back of these receivers, so it would not surprise me if spades don't fit. Just make sure that you've opened up the binding posts as far as they will go. Otherwise, your only alternatives are to go with a different receiver (and even then there's no guarantee that spades will fit) or strip out the spades and go with either bare wire or banana plugs.

c00z
08-15-2006, 01:04 PM
Yeah I find it quite strange for such a high level reciever for the binding posts not to come out far enough to allow the use of spades. There is enough room around the binding post for spades...has anyone got a yamaha reciever that they have used spades with since I cannot figure this out.

paul_pci
08-15-2006, 01:42 PM
No, spades won't work because Yamaha puts these weird plastic barriers around most of the post. I'd go with bare wire or bannana plug. Then again, I'm not sure of any receiver that can accommodate spade connectors.

likeitloud
08-16-2006, 12:47 AM
Use banana plugs on the receiver side, the reason is it's very easy to unplug
if you have to move it, rearrange your rack, cleaning, whatever. Also it eliminates
any noise issues if one is touching. The binding posts on my receiver are less than
1/4 apart, so the plugs were my choice, plus it just looks more organized. I also
would use bare wire as much as possabile on the speaker end.

c00z
08-16-2006, 05:10 AM
I was just suprised that since the availability of spaded speaker wire was quite large that the Yamaha model, which is not a lower end model, would allow the use of spades....a shame. Also, what are the benefits of using bare speaker wire over a well terminated pair or spades/bananas?

paul_pci
08-16-2006, 10:44 AM
I was just suprised that since the availability of spaded speaker wire was quite large that the Yamaha model, which is not a lower end model, would allow the use of spades....a shame. Also, what are the benefits of using bare speaker wire over a well terminated pair or spades/bananas?

Bannana plugs only offer the convenience of being able to plug and unplug with ease. Otherwise, there's no significant difference.

Woochifer
08-16-2006, 12:00 PM
No, spades won't work because Yamaha puts these weird plastic barriers around most of the post. I'd go with bare wire or bannana plug. Then again, I'm not sure of any receiver that can accommodate spade connectors.

I believe that Yamaha's flagship RX-Z1 and RX-Z9 models will accommodate spades, as those models use different binding posts than the entry and midlevel models. I thought that the 4600 used similar binding posts to those models, but I guess not.

Benefit of using bare wire is not having to pay for the spade/banana plugs. Benefit to spades/banana plugs is one of convenience, less potential for oxidation on the wire end (which is one case where the cabling can produce a measurable change to the tonal characteristics), and no worries about stray wire strands (wires that touch on both terminals can short out the amp or at least keep kicking it into the protection mode).