I need some HELP!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I need some HELP!!

DohMike
08-15-2006, 10:52 AM
I'm a complete noob when it comes to audio. I'm looking to buy a new home theatre system with atleast 5.1 surround sound. I am asking for some help on buying everything...I have no clue what brands or models to look for...I don't really care what they look like but sound quality is the most important...My system will be hooked into my computer so I will need a input that allows my sound card to hook in the back of my reciever while maintaining the 5.1 surround sound. I am a big online gamer and I love my music so if you guys would put a list of the equipment/components I will need. I already have the speakers, so all I need is a Subwoofer and a Reciever...Cheap as possible seeing how I'm only 17. Best bang for the buck would be nice...

PS "Quality is best"

DohMike

GMichael
08-15-2006, 01:19 PM
Hi Doh,

Welcome to AR.
There are many very good receivers to choose from. Knowing what speakers you have will help us to help you. Will you be using this for just HT or some music as well? What percent of each do you think?

It's tough to get "Cheap as possible" and "Quality is best" on the same page, but we'll give it a shot.

DohMike
08-15-2006, 01:39 PM
I have these 2 I will be getting more of them my next pay check :P
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7705307&type=product&id=1138085354138

uh Both home theatre and music 70% music and 30% home theatre/games/movies

BTW Its nice to know someone out there is willing to help us noobs...My buddy Clob try's to tell me what to get and stuff but I don't follow anything he says...He told me I should get this Sub but I don't know he knows alot about cps but I don't think he knows anything about sound quality http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-635

paul_pci
08-15-2006, 01:44 PM
If you have a definitive budget, we can do our best to point you in the right direction.

DohMike
08-15-2006, 01:46 PM
Ok no more than say 450.00 Keep in Mind I like my neighbors to hear my music

GMichael
08-15-2006, 02:01 PM
Ok no more than say 450.00 Keep in Mind I like my neighbors to hear my music

Well, I don't know anything about these speakers. But they are 8 ohm so I doubt that any receiver will have trouble driving them. When you go back to Best Buy, take a look at their Yamaha receivers. See if you like how they sound. If so you could do well with an older model that you could get cheap.
Most of the Dayton subs are built very well.

DohMike
08-15-2006, 02:11 PM
Ok I did look at thier recievers and they had a few that cought my eye and sounded great...But to the downside they didn't have the 5.1 input RCA jacks for my computer to hook up to...The ones that did though were like 400 by there self if anybody has a place on the net I can buy it from would be awesome

Defshep
08-15-2006, 02:44 PM
Pioneer receivers are great in the "bang for the buck" category. Great sound and features. I believe you can find a nice one that'll fit your budget.

likeitloud
08-16-2006, 12:35 AM
Panasonic SA-XR55S Home Theater Receiver
Yamaha HTR-5930SL 5.1-Channel Digital Home Theater Receiver, Silver
Pioneer VSX-516-K 7.1-Channel Home Theater Receiver, Black

Here are 3 to consider, all at under $200, all have multi-channel outputs. You did'nt
mention if your $450 budget was for everything or just the receiver. If it has to cover
everything, get something like these, then a "package" speaker 5.1 system,
from Polk/JBL/Sony. These matched with one of the receivers above will get you
started with a pretty decent entry level system. Add your pc for tunes, a dvd and
tv, and you'll never have to come out of your room. Any of these combos is enough
to keep your neighbors pissed at you, I do it all the time! Welcome to AR, and
have fun. If you have any set up issues, give us a shout.

Pioneer VSX1015TX
Rotel RB 1080
Definitive Technology ProSub 200TL
JBL 4344 Studio Monitors(Front)
JBL L 19 (Surrounds)
JBL Cinema Vison CVCEN50 Center
JBL Northridge Satellites(Back Channel)
Pioneer Elite DV45A DVDA/SACD
Panasonic DVD F86K
Sony RCD W500C CD PLAYER/REC
Pioneer GR-777 Graphic Equalizer
AR Interconnects
Cobalt 14G Wire
Sanus Stands
XBOX 360

DohMike
08-16-2006, 08:10 AM
That Yamaha looks great! Wish they had that one at bestbuy no S/H lol...
anybody got an idea for 2 floorstanding speakers? Instead of 2 more bookshelfs I want to get 2 nice floor sets..? say about 150.00 bucks for both. The price could change I could save up to get them both..

GMichael
08-16-2006, 08:38 AM
That Yamaha looks great! Wish they had that one at bestbuy no S/H lol...
anybody got an idea for 2 floorstanding speakers? Instead of 2 more bookshelfs I want to get 2 nice floor sets..? say about 150.00 bucks for both. The price could change I could save up to get them both..

Pop in your zipcode here to find out who can give you the best price. http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=17956909

I have the HTR-5740SL in my bedroom. It's a nice unit for the buck.

L.J.
08-16-2006, 09:05 AM

Your probably better off with bookshelves. Your gonna get more for your money. Speakers are gonna have a big impact on SQ so saving up for some decent bookshelves isn't a bad idea. Audioadvisor has Athena bookshelves for $119. I have not heard them myself but they get alot of mention. You can also try audiogon or ebay. At $150 budget, the used market seems like the way to go.

DohMike
08-16-2006, 08:16 PM
yeah a few people told me to stay with bookshelfs too! thx guy's