Subwoofer on or off? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer on or off?

markow202
08-15-2006, 09:51 AM
Hey guys,

Dont know if you remember, I posted awhile back askign if a subwoofer can hook up to my Pioneer mini system...it was sucessfully done. Im running 5 speakers all around my bedroom plus just a plain $199 8" Velodyne Subwoofer from Best Buy. The overall sound is amazing

My question is, is it ok to leave it on all the time (the subwoofer?)? With the Pioneer receiver off, the subwoofer and its light stays on. I have been unplugging it from the wall when I dont use it for the rest of the day since I felt the self powered amp of the sub staying constantly warm. Whats reccomended to do?

paul_pci
08-15-2006, 10:12 AM
Does it have a "standby" mode? A lot of subwoofers have that where they will switch on when they detect a low frequency signal coming in, kinda like when a man detects his woman is angry and all of a sudden starts listening.

markow202
08-15-2006, 10:30 AM
I read later that the one model higher than this one has the signal detection feature. Mine has 2 knobs, a sub volume knob which is also a power off knob, but I dont like to turn it off that way because I have the bass set to that certain lever to match the other speakers and make it sound natural. The other knob is for HZ settings (30-180HZ).

So I just unplug it from the wall at the end of the day.

Grandpaw
08-15-2006, 10:44 AM
I would just plug all your equipment into a power strip and then it ALL goes on and off together. This way you don't forget to turn it on or off.

My receiver and sub are on one button that activates two plug-ins on my power-surge protector. This way I don't ever forget to turn the sub off, Jeff

You might try something like this.....

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2362004&cp=2032056.2032151&pg=5&allCount=143&fbn=Type%2FSurge+protector&f=PAD%2FProduct+Type%2FSurge+protector&fbc=1&parentPage=family

I read later that the one model higher than this one has the signal detection feature. Mine has 2 knobs, a sub volume knob which is also a power off knob, but I dont like to turn it off that way because I have the bass set to that certain lever to match the other speakers and make it sound natural. The other knob is for HZ settings (30-180HZ).

So I just unplug it from the wall at the end of the day.

markow202
08-15-2006, 11:06 AM
Thanks for the replies. I dont mind plugging it or unplugging it from my power bar which it is plugged into....just want to know if its better for the sub to stay on all the time or continue unplugging it at the end of the day?

Grandpaw
08-15-2006, 11:09 AM
I would unplug it if you can remember to do it, Jeff

Take a look at the third question down under General....
http://www.velodyne.com/velodyne/tech/faq.aspx?sid=1234

Thanks for the replies. I dont mind plugging it or unplugging it from my power bar which it is plugged into....just want to know if its better for the sub to stay on all the time or continue unplugging it at the end of the day?

markow202
08-15-2006, 11:27 AM
Thanks alot!!