Anyboby gonna buy a PS3...... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anyboby gonna buy a PS3......

L.J.
08-14-2006, 08:27 AM
.......when they first hit store shelves?

I don't know if this has been discussed in another thread, but I'm wondering about problems with the PS3. Didn't the 360 have glitches of some sort? Is the same to expected with the PS3?

paul_pci
08-14-2006, 10:01 AM
I'd like to, though maybe not when it first hits the shelves, but it can be a little hard to justify. I'd definitely like to pay a blue-ray disc on my father's hdtv, but on the other hand, I don't play a whole lot of games, but the ones I do play, I tend to play obsessively. So, I'm still a bit on the fence about it.

Woochifer
08-14-2006, 11:12 AM
NOT!

If you'll recall, the PS2 had bugs galore when it first launched in 2000. Plus, some of the DVD functions were not completely implemented until a firmware update about a year later.

The PS3 has way too many brand new technologies under the hood for me to feel comfortable with a first production unit. The Blu-ray drive and disc media were only introduced a month ago, the processor design is brand new, the HDMI 1.3 functionality is brand new, and the motion controller feature is brand new. That's a lot of things that have to work perfectly out of the box, yet have not had any kind of test run on other platforms. The Xbox 360 had a lot of bugs out of the gate as well, and it uses more off-the-shelf components than the PS3 will.

I'll wait until the mad rush dies down and a decent library of actual games gets built up before I make a play on the PS3. For now, I'm fine with the PS2 games.

Geoffcin
08-14-2006, 12:18 PM
.......when they first hit store shelves?

I don't know if this has been discussed in another thread, but I'm wondering about problems with the PS3. Didn't the 360 have glitches of some sort? Is the same to expected with the PS3?

BOTH my kids have asked for a Wii. Nobody asked for a PS3 this year. Wii is going to be the hot gaming platform

bobsticks
08-14-2006, 12:23 PM
Hey LJ, good to hear from you. I'm jumping right atop the fence. Frankly, I'm not much of a gamer anyway, but that said, I prefer the XBOX format and wouldn't mind checking out HD-DVD. There might be a 360 purchse in the future but its a low priority.
As it stands I'm still waiting on my ML center channel to get here, I probably need to look at some Claritys for the rears, and I've got a few ideas about my second system involving a new sound card and some tubes.

Of course, with my tendency to make spontaneous, erratic and often stupid spending decisions you never know:)

Cheers

Woochifer
08-14-2006, 01:01 PM
BOTH my kids have asked for a Wii. Nobody asked for a PS3 this year. Wii is going to be the hot gaming platform

I think you're totally right. The Xbox 360 and PS3 platforms are so invested in HD that they have priced themselves into a totally different plateau, leaving that middle ground completely open for Nintendo. I think they were very smart to come up with a non-HD platform that promises improvements to the actual game play, rather than bumping up the resolution and packing the console with digital media center features.

And all the while, the PS2 remains the best selling gaming console, and is projected to remain on top for at least another year.

L.J.
08-14-2006, 01:40 PM
NOT!

If you'll recall, the PS2 had bugs galore when it first launched in 2000. Plus, some of the DVD functions were not completely implemented until a firmware update about a year later.

The PS3 has way too many brand new technologies under the hood for me to feel comfortable with a first production unit. The Blu-ray drive and disc media were only introduced a month ago, the processor design is brand new, the HDMI 1.3 functionality is brand new, and the motion controller feature is brand new. That's a lot of things that have to work perfectly out of the box, yet have not had any kind of test run on other platforms. The Xbox 360 had a lot of bugs out of the gate as well, and it uses more off-the-shelf components than the PS3 will.

I'll wait until the mad rush dies down and a decent library of actual games gets built up before I make a play on the PS3. For now, I'm fine with the PS2 games.

Excellent points Wooch. I just can't help but want to just dive in though. Better to be patient as usual. I'd hate to get a bad unit and go through all that hassle.

L.J.
08-14-2006, 01:45 PM

I picked up a Game Cube for my kid awhile back and he doesn't play it that much. He's hooked on the PS2 for some reason. I'm gonna be careful what I get for him now. :incazzato:

The PS3 will be all for me and he can have the PS2 put in his room :ihih:

L.J.
08-14-2006, 01:51 PM
Of course, with my tendency to make spontaneous, erratic and often stupid spending decisions you never know:)

But it feels soooo good, doesn't it. Reminds me of how I walked into Costco for grocerys and came out with a $1200 big screen wall unit.

Woochifer
08-14-2006, 02:28 PM
But it feels soooo good, doesn't it. Reminds me of how I walked into Costco for grocerys and came out with a $1200 big screen wall unit.

Aren't you glad that Costco made those shopping carts just big enough to fit a flat screen TV? :D

bobsticks
08-14-2006, 04:40 PM

L.J., yer beautiful. Nice work!

Cheers

likeitloud
08-16-2006, 01:35 AM
LOL

But it feels soooo good, doesn't it. Reminds me of how I walked into Costco
for grocerys and came out with a $1200 big screen wall unit.

Or Home Depot for paint, and leaving with a gas bbq. I saw some Martin Logan
stuff at our cosco. Whats next, rotel, h/k, denon?

kexodusc
08-16-2006, 04:42 AM
That Wii thing will take off if:
1-Nintendo finally realizes that marketing systems to age 12 and under is a recipe for credit downgrading! Still not enough cool games for the 18-42 yr old crowd, but I think Nintendo is getting it right this time - let's hope so - they're the only "pure" video game company left that still manufactures consoles. For most of the 80's and 90's, if I thought video games, I thought Nintendo!
2-Prices for the other 2 don't plunge to boost game sales- Nintendo can't withstand, and historically has mostly avoided, price wars of any type.