Which Paridigm Speakers to Buy [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Which Paridigm Speakers to Buy

darth2222
08-14-2006, 01:14 AM
i have decied to go with a complete Paradigm setup based on hearing them in person and reviews from this site. But i need to know if i should go with sthe Studio Series or one of the older series. I have a 16 x 20 room with Vaulted Celings. The Seating area is about 10 to 12 Feet from the TV. I Have to use Bookshelfs for front and have to mount surrounds on wall in back. I know the studio series is more expensive i just want to know if it is worth the extra money. Thanks in advance to anyone who replies

noddin0ff
08-14-2006, 07:14 AM
The non-studio series are not 'older' they are just made for different budgets. The Studio's to my ears are obviously better. Whether it's 'worth the extra money' is your call. Have the sales person hook up comparable speakers from each product line and compare them directly with music you are very familiar with. Then weigh the sonic improvement versus the money in your pocket...

Personally, I couldn't afford the whole set in one go but couldn't stand the though of getting the cheaper line. So, I did it slowly a bit at a time. Two mains (20's), then the next year rears. I downgraded to Titans for the rears because I didn't feel, and still don't, that surrounds need to be as good as the mains to give the experience. Most info comes from the front. (I might put some mini monitors in back someday). Finally, another year, and the matching center and then a sub.

For movies the center is the most active speaker, but with a balanced set up you can come close with just 2 mains. For Music, unless you like DSP's, it's all mains. So put your money up front. If you want music put it into two good mains and maybe a center. If you want movies, spread it across all three fronts. Compromises can be made on the rears.

N. Abstentia
08-14-2006, 08:03 AM
Yeah the other series are not older, they have four current lines:

Performance = good.
Monitors = better.
Studio = best (for the money)
Signature = look nicer, cost too much.

jrhymeammo
08-14-2006, 06:32 PM
Their authorized dealers are allowed to offer discount. I think it's somewhere around 15%, more than 10% for sure. If they act like they can't, I wouldnt conduct business with them. But if you truly love the sound, just whisper the word "Audiogon".

Woochifer
08-14-2006, 06:56 PM
Whether or not the Studio series is worth the money depends on you. Looking across the lineup versus the Monitor series, the Studio speakers typically cost about double what the equivalent Monitor model costs. That's not a trivial amount, so you should weigh the advantages and disadvantages against what you're looking for.

With the $800 list price on a pair of Studio 20 v.3, you can buy four of the Mini Monitors or a pair of the floorstanding Monitor 7s and still have change leftover.

In my listenings, I opted for the Studio series because I felt that the refinement and greater overall accuracy and tonal balance offset the advantage that the Monitor series models had with the lower bass response when comparing the Monitor 7 with the Studio 40.

If you do opt for the Studio series, you'll also need to account for how much a whole 5.1 set of them will cost. But, keep in mind that you can choose to add your speakers incrementally rather than feeling obligated to buy the whole thing at the same time.

Also, take your time in choosing a speaker. There are plenty of good ones out there to demo, and Paradigm's hardly the only option on the market. But, you find their sound appealing, then IMO they have a lot to offer for the money.

Woochifer
08-14-2006, 07:06 PM
The non-studio series are not 'older' they are just made for different budgets. The Studio's to my ears are obviously better. Whether it's 'worth the extra money' is your call. Have the sales person hook up comparable speakers from each product line and compare them directly with music you are very familiar with. Then weigh the sonic improvement versus the money in your pocket...

Personally, I couldn't afford the whole set in one go but couldn't stand the though of getting the cheaper line. So, I did it slowly a bit at a time. Two mains (20's), then the next year rears. I downgraded to Titans for the rears because I didn't feel, and still don't, that surrounds need to be as good as the mains to give the experience. Most info comes from the front. (I might put some mini monitors in back someday). Finally, another year, and the matching center and then a sub.

For movies the center is the most active speaker, but with a balanced set up you can come close with just 2 mains. For Music, unless you like DSP's, it's all mains. So put your money up front. If you want music put it into two good mains and maybe a center. If you want movies, spread it across all three fronts. Compromises can be made on the rears.

Agree with your incremental approach to adding speakers, but I gotta disagree with you here on the mismatched surround speakers! I think that with a lot of older movie soundtracks or ones that largely stick with ambient/envrionmental cues in the surrounds, you can definitely get away with mismatching surrounds.

But, with multichannel music and with a growing number of movie soundtracks that use a lot of directional cues and mix the sounds between the front and surround speakers at roughly equal levels, you will really notice the surround envelopment a lot more with timbre matched surround speeakers.

Concert DVDs and multichannel music discs do a lot of mixes where the lead instruments and sounds from up front get steered into the surrounds to create very strong directional imaging. It can sound good with a mismatched surround speaker, but once the tonal characteristics of the front and surround speakers get matched up, it's a whole different listening experience! With timbre matched speakers and proper alignment, you can pick up on the depth in the soundfield and how much more solid the side imagin now sounds.

If you're already using a pair of the Studio 20s up front, I would suggest that you try another pair of them as the surrounds. If you've never heard that combination before, you might in for a surprise at how cohesive the surround effect can sound when you go with timbre matching all the way around.

darth2222
08-14-2006, 10:50 PM
Thanks alot guys you have given me some great ideas. Im new to this site but already i have learned alot just by reading these forums. Cant waite to start putting this whole system together

accastil
08-15-2006, 02:56 AM
i own a paradigm studio 20 v3 and i am more than satisfied with the sound they produce especially when paired with good electronics. however, pls have a listen also to wharfedale diamond 9.2 and the epos M5 speakers. they also produce good sound and it might suit your taste better.
if you really love stereo music listening over multichannel movies, invest your money on your 2 front speakers. else, you might also put a good portion of it on the center and if so, make sure your center speaker is on the same series as your 2 front speakers to maintain the timbre matched. surrounds could be anything..i would have to agree that you can make compromise on your surround channels.

if youd be sticking with paradigm, the best series they have for the money would be the studio series and the studio 20 is the way to go. i find the bass response of the higher models quite boomy already. have a studio 20 and add a nice sub for better stereo sound.

noddin0ff
08-15-2006, 05:45 AM
Agree with your incremental approach to adding speakers, but I gotta disagree with you here on the mismatched surround speakers! I think that with a lot of older movie soundtracks or ones that largely stick with ambient/envrionmental cues in the surrounds, you can definitely get away with mismatching surrounds.

But, with multichannel music and with a growing number of movie soundtracks that use a lot of directional cues and mix the sounds between the front and surround speakers at roughly equal levels, you will really notice the surround envelopment a lot more with timbre matched surround speeakers.

Concert DVDs and multichannel music discs do a lot of mixes where the lead instruments and sounds from up front get steered into the surrounds to create very strong directional imaging. It can sound good with a mismatched surround speaker, but once the tonal characteristics of the front and surround speakers get matched up, it's a whole different listening experience! With timbre matched speakers and proper alignment, you can pick up on the depth in the soundfield and how much more solid the side imagin now sounds.

If you're already using a pair of the Studio 20s up front, I would suggest that you try another pair of them as the surrounds. If you've never heard that combination before, you might in for a surprise at how cohesive the surround effect can sound when you go with timbre matching all the way around.

As per usual, you are right! I only indicate where compromises could be made. Adding two Titans as rears to Studio 20's in the front made a huge improvement to the HT experience relative to just having the mains only. For me that was a leap up that I could afford at the time, although it was short of the perfect solution of 20's all around. For me the extra $500 is not 'worth' it for the experience... plus I still have placement issues that will likely never be resolved.

Since most of the Paradigm drivers are shuffled down the chain, I don't think there's a significant timbre mismatch. That's not to say I don't notice the difference in quality. Sometimes I use 5 channel stereo to fill the house with sound and it bugs me that the Titans have that 'veil' over them. But, I don't get to sit down to listen to multi channel much (although I keep buying them...) and for the most part the HT surround experience is good enough.

KaiWinters
08-18-2006, 01:00 PM
I recently upgraded from the Titans to Monitor 3's as my fronts. I am continuing to use the Atoms as surrounds due to WAF...she side-eyed me when I tried to use the Titans as surrounds and said they were a bit large so I gave in as she said "go for it" on the 3's.

I immediately noticed a big improvement in the mid range comparing the 3's to the T's. More clear, a bit more mellow and much wider stage. The tweeter is an improvement but I did not notice as big a difference as I did in the mid range.

The 3's retail for $500 and I got them for $350 from a shop I have been doing business with for over a year so I am known and appreciated as a customer.

You did not post what your budget is so it is difficult to to much more than talk about what we like and pricing we are aware of.
Good luck and keep us informed.