center channel ideas [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : center channel ideas

old dog 1
08-13-2006, 12:15 AM
Hi guys....... I was wondering if you can give me ideas I have a harmon kardon avr 625 wharfedale diamond 8.2 in front svs subwoofer diamonds in back and diamond 9cm center channel. my question is for my center channel being it has two 6.25 woofers
a midrange and tweeter should i set my receiver to large or just let my sub take over all bass? or to small and use the woofers for mid bass in my center channel.......
Thanks for any and all imputs

paul_pci
08-13-2006, 11:01 AM
My take: while it seems that settings like large vs. small is a technical question, it's really a matter of taste and acoustics. I say, set them to large for a week, then set them to small for a week, see how the bass coming from the front sound stage interacts with the room and listening position and then decide between the two settings.

Mr Peabody
08-13-2006, 02:55 PM
I agree, you should try it both ways and choose the one that sounds best to you. I had an old school rear projection TV and my center was over the top of it on a bridge and I kept the center set to "large". I bought a new DLP and it was too wide to fit inside my entertainment center, so I spread the side towers out and the bridge didn't fit. To make a short story long, I had to put the center channel below the TV on a shelf, just off the floor. Hear the center is more boxed in and low, so now my center is set to "small". I think the dialog is a little more audible and the bass is cleaned up. I think I was getting some resonance from something when the center was doing the very low frequencies. Being down low seems to blend better with my sides than being up high. It sounds like your center is like mine, that they both are fully capable of doing low bass, it's just placement is a big factor in sound quality.