sugden or quad? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : sugden or quad?

janine
08-12-2006, 07:41 AM
Which is best for my rogers jr149 speakers...sugden A48 amplifier or Quad 303/33?

JoeE SP9
08-12-2006, 10:31 AM
Either one will work just fine. The only way to tell if one sounds "better" is to listen to both and decide for yourself. According to the objectivists there is no difference in the sound of properly functioning amplifiers. I am not an objectivist.:cool:

RGA
08-12-2006, 08:03 PM
If someone relies on a Double Blind test to rest their belief that they will sound the same -- then they are not objectivists but easily led science wannabes.

I had the Sugden A48b which I liked a lot. Can't comment on the Quad.

JoeE SP9
08-15-2006, 05:33 AM
Double blind testing was not mentioned. In the first place it is a PIA. In the second place janine wants advice not an argument on the validity of DBT.:ihih:

Feanor
08-15-2006, 05:59 AM
Either one will work just fine. The only way to tell if one sounds "better" is to listen to both and decide for yourself. According to the objectivists there is no difference in the sound of properly functioning amplifiers. I am not an objectivist.:cool:

The late Julian Hirsch was techinical equipment reviewer at Stereo Review magazine for many years. I remember him well from my early days as an audio enthusiast. It was said of him that he never heard a piece of equipment he didn't like.:biggrin5:

He was slotted in the camp that said that all modern amps, functioning within their operational parameters, sound the same. But the story goes that he was asked if he really did hear no differences, to which he replied, in fact he heard slight differences but deemed them unimportant. :o So it seems Hirsch was a subjectivist after all. :)

And I agree with him, most amps sound similar. But similar is not the identical, so there is room for personal preference. Have a listen and make up your own mind.

Tributes to Julian Hirsch ...
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article.asp?section_id=1&article_id=534

JoeE SP9
08-15-2006, 01:00 PM
The late Julian Hirsch was technical equipment reviewer at Stereo Review magazine for many years. I remember him well from my early days as an audio enthusiast. It was said of him that he never heard a piece of equipment he didn't like.:biggrin5:

He was slotted in the camp that said that all modern amps, functioning within their operational parameters, sound the same. But the story goes that he was asked if he really did hear no differences, to which he replied, in fact he heard slight differences but deemed them unimportant. :o So it seems Hirsch was a subjectivist after all. :)

And I agree with him, most amps sound similar. But similar is not the identical, so there is room for personal preference. Have a listen and make up your own mind.

Tributes to Julian Hirsch ...
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article.asp?section_id=1&article_id=534

I started reading Stereo Review when it was still HiFi and Stereo Review. I stopped reading it when Mr Hirsch refused to mention differences I thought were significant. By that time it was just Stereo Review and I had moved on to High Fidelity and Audio. I still used to pick up a copy once in a while when they were reviewing something I was interested in. The reviews still found everything to sound the same except speakers of course.:cool: