Need help on how to wire surround speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need help on how to wire surround speakers

darth2222
08-11-2006, 07:34 PM
I have vaulted celings so i cant use attic and hardwood floors on a slab foundation so i cant go under the floor. I was wondering whats the best and most efficient ways to hide the wires so i can connect them to my back speakers from my receiver. I need to make them as hidden as possible. My only other option is wireless surrounds and i know that is a terrible alternative. Any suggestions appreciated

please help

darth2222

westcott
08-12-2006, 10:18 AM
You can either modify your existing baseboards or buy those specifically made to hide
AV wiring. Some wires are made into flat ribbons that can be drywalled, textured and painted to go right over your existing sheetrock. 6 of one or half a dozen of the other. You can pull wires from the baseboard. Some patching will be necessary.

RoyY51
08-12-2006, 03:27 PM
I routed out the back of 3 1/4" stucco molding to accomodate three 14 gauge pairs of speaker wire. I then finished the top with quarter round. Looks great, works perfectly.

darth2222
08-12-2006, 04:35 PM
Thanks alot will try that

likeitloud
08-14-2006, 02:02 AM
I had this problem wiring my "back" channel speakers, as there was no access thru the
wall. Since you have no over the top, or under options, the molding sounds like your
only approach. They sell molding at H/D and Lowes with that channel already molded
in. Depending how far you need to go, you just pull of the old, tuck your wire in the
new molding channel and reattach, DO NOT nail thru wire. Now once it's over to the
speaker location, you have to get the wire up to the mounts. I used a "dremel tool"
with a barrel sand roll and shaved a SMALL exit for the cable, and cut a trench in the
sheet rock, tucked the wire in, clamped them, and filled with joint compond/tape/sanding
and had to paint the whole wall. Not a 10 minute project! Also, if you have a significant
other, believe me, you will have to lay the ground work for this. Our living room, is
the listening room, so EVERYTHING, has to be planned/okayed, all the marrage
stuff. Anyway, after the mess was cleaned, the wires are invisible, and you only have
to do it once. Good luck. P.S, almost forgot, use the smallest gauge wire you can get
away with for these 2 runs, I used 16.