What's on your wish list? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What's on your wish list?

L.J.
08-11-2006, 10:44 AM
So I'm sure almost everyone has something they plan on upgrading, improving, replacing, buying, building, stealing.........uh you get the point.

So what's on your wishlist?

Immediate or distant future. Big screen, amp, speakers, sub, HD player, PS3 :smilewinkgrin: ..........what's on your list?

paul_pci
08-11-2006, 10:46 AM
Denon 2910
Perhaps B&W 602s, put the 601s in the rear
Quality DAC on used market
… oh and more money

KaiWinters
08-11-2006, 11:34 AM
50 inch 1080p tv, either rptv or lcd.
Toshiba HD-A1...Christmas present

Woochifer
08-11-2006, 11:45 AM
Man, talk about deja vu! I think I've been listing the same upgrades for the last three years, with nothing happening thereafter! Anyway, here's my list in the approximate order that they will occur ...

more room treatments (looking at corner absorption and bass traps, and possibly thicker rigid fiberboards)
Salamander Synergy 30 rack with flat panel mount
HDTV (at this point, I would go with a Pioneer Elite plasma because of its picture quality and ISF calibration modes, but the market is changing so quickly who knows what the actual purchase will be by the time I get around to it)
HD satellite receiver/DVR
HDMI-enabled DVD universal player
Wireless media server

And down the road ...
Blu-ray/HD-DVD player (provided the new formats survive) and/or PS3
HDMI 1.3-enabled receiver/processor w/ DD Plus and DTS-HD decoding
Amplification upgrade
Speaker upgrade

Over the last three years, I've only made one major change to my system (adding the SACD changer), and these upgrades probably won't happen soon. Other home improvement projects like kitchen and lighting upgrades, and rebuilding portions of the patio have taken priority in the meantime. Other projects still on our list include rebuilding a retaining wall, new exterior stucco, central air conditioning (the furnace and ducts were upgraded a few years ago, so we've been ready for AC but the recent heat wave bumped this up to a higher priority), and concrete work in the front and back yards. And we're looking to get a new car within the next year as well. Once all that's done, then I can begin work on Home Theater 2.0!

Resident Loser
08-11-2006, 12:09 PM
...NFT

jimHJJ(...nothing is what I want...a true Zen saying...)

GMichael
08-11-2006, 12:22 PM
L.J. I have so many plans that may never come true that I just want to .... Grrrr....

Oh well, here's what there is on my hopefull list. I'll start with wanting to put up those two Z4's I bought a while back. Come on house!
I did just buy 2 pair of JBL E20's for the bedroom to match the E10's I already have. I wanted to go with KEF Q1's but the budget is still unclear and almost anything would be better than the cheapo yammie speakers that came with my HTIB.
I wanted to get some accoustic treatments for our living room. But everyone seems to think that the ones I picked out would be worthless and the ones that will help are far more than my system cost me so.... Pillows on the wall maybe. This was RL's idea.
I've wanted for some time to upgrade my main speakers with Magnapan 1.6's and a few MMGW/C's. But that would mean that I'd need amps. I like the Parasounds. Still not in the budget.
While I'm wishing, I'd like a new sub. The SVS 16-46 PC–Plus seems like it would do a good job for what I want. Still, not in the budget.
I am seeing a trend here. Either I need to want less or make more.:incazzato:

slbenz
08-11-2006, 12:43 PM
Well, I just got two components on my wish list. An Oppo Digital DV970HD universal DVD player to take advantage of my Mitsubishi HDTV's resolution and a MSB Link DAC III with upsampling option which increased the audio performance of my Oppo and Sony megachanger.

robert393
08-11-2006, 01:03 PM
Guess what......I'm very happy where I am now. It has taken about 15yrs to be able to say that......so I'll enjoy it for now.

BUTTTTTT......(isn't their always a but?), much futher down the road will be a 1920x1080p (60hz) projector and HD-DVD (when HDMI 1.3 is finalized).

Robert

GMichael
08-11-2006, 01:08 PM
Guess what......I'm very happy where I am now. It has taken about 15yrs to be able to say that......so I'll enjoy it for now.

BUTTTTTT......(isn't their always a but?), much futher down the road will be a 1920x1080p (60hz) projector and HD-DVD (when HDMI 1.3 is finalized).

Robert

Hey Robert,

How many HD channels are you getting down there? The most I have found in a package up here is 23.
Projector prices are getting better every day. Reasonable prices for the 1080p's are just around the corner.

Sorry to have jacked your thread L.J.

robert393
08-12-2006, 06:50 AM
Hey Robert,

How many HD channels are you getting down there? The most I have found in a package up here is 23.
Projector prices are getting better every day. Reasonable prices for the 1080p's are just around the corner.

Sorry to have jacked your thread L.J.
29 HD Satelite Channels (http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/programming/dishhd/programming/index.shtml)+ Locals. And with my 2-HD-DVR's (60+hrs of HD), all I watch now is HD.

I'm very happy with my JVC SX21U (1080i) LCOS projector, but like you, I see 1080p projector prices becoming more affordable in the near future.

drseid
08-12-2006, 02:06 PM
2 more Coda power amps to replace the multi-channel Rotel feeding 4 of the 6 speakers in my main rig currently
Consonance Droplet CD Player for my main rig (and my CD-120 would then move to the office system)

On the video side, *possibly* a Sony (or Panasonic) Blu-ray player to watch the Blu-ray only movies I can't play on my Toshiba HD DVD player if the format looks like it might gain traction and quality. Right now this one is looking doubtful...

---Dave

Grandpaw
08-12-2006, 04:10 PM
Dave, a friend of mine has the Consonance Droplet CD Player and is a stereo fanatic and loves to talk stereo. If you would like to get in touch with him I know he would answer questions about it and talk your ear off. He is very sharp on stereos and is in a wheel chair and almost never leaves home. Stereo is his MAIN interest. E-Mail me or PM me and I will get you in touch with him, Jeff

GMichael
08-12-2006, 06:19 PM
29 HD Satelite Channels (http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/programming/dishhd/programming/index.shtml)+ Locals. And with my 2-HD-DVR's (60+hrs of HD), all I watch now is HD.

I'm very happy with my JVC SX21U (1080i) LCOS projector, but like you, I see 1080p projector prices becoming more affordable in the near future.
Thanks Robert,

That looks like the package I was looking at here. It's just worded differently. I see what they mean now. Thanks again.

kexodusc
08-12-2006, 06:56 PM
more free time to build more speakers and listen to more music and watch more movies and shows.

paul_pci
08-12-2006, 10:58 PM
more free time to build more speakers and listen to more music and watch more movies and shows.

Time upgrade! Now that's a concept.

drseid
08-13-2006, 12:21 AM
Dave, a friend of mine has the Consonance Droplet CD Player and is a stereo fanatic and loves to talk stereo. If you would like to get in touch with him I know he would answer questions about it and talk your ear off. He is very sharp on stereos and is in a wheel chair and almost never leaves home. Stereo is his MAIN interest. E-Mail me or PM me and I will get you in touch with him, Jeff

Thanks, Jeff. You've got mail. :-)

---Dave

GMichael
08-13-2006, 05:37 AM

Time upgrade awarded. 2 out of 3 aint bad?

RoyY51
08-13-2006, 04:47 PM
I would like to upgrade these old ears with some that can hear above 13 khz. Then, maybe I could listen to music without my tone and volume settings shredding the eardrums of my friends and family who are not audio challenged.

s dog
08-13-2006, 07:57 PM
So I'm sure almost everyone has something they plan on upgrading, improving, replacing, buying, building, stealing.........uh you get the point.

So what's on your wishlist?

Immediate or distant future. Big screen, amp, speakers, sub, HD player, PS3 :smilewinkgrin: ..........what's on your list?
How about a monoblock for each of my seven speakers and a H-D DVD player and later a new high rez receiver. and a new sub, how fast is any of this going to happen ? well depends on the money.

Grandpaw
08-13-2006, 08:11 PM
In answer to you question..... My number ONE wish on my wish list is for my two boys to get good jobs and houses of their own, Jeff

Seems like everyone else is just interested in new equipment, LOL

likeitloud
08-14-2006, 12:58 AM
Pioneer Pure Vision plasma 43" TV. I've been looking at the pioneer VSX AX10iG
H/T receiver very closely, but no one has the needed upgrades noted below. I've managed
two upgrades in the last 3 months...Rotel Amp..What an improvment in my system,
and a new Sub, some anti-vibration/room treatments are on going as we speak.

Pioneer VSX1015TX
Rotel RB 1080
Definitive Technology ProSub 200TL
JBL 4344 Studio Monitors(Front)
JBL L 19 (Surrounds)
JBL Cinema Vison CVCEN50 Center
JBL Northridge Satellites(Back Channel)
Pioneer Elite DV45A DVDA/SACD
Panasonic DVD F86K
Sony RCD W500C CD PLAYER/REC
Pioneer GR-777 Graphic Equalizer
AR Interconnects
Cobalt 14G Wire
Sanus Stands
XBOX 360

L.J.
08-14-2006, 07:00 AM
I definitely see a PS3 in the near future.

I'm pretty content with my current setup but in a few years will jump into HD, assuming there's plenty of titles, HDMI 1.3 is enabled and prices are looking right. This will include a HD display, AVR and player.

I eventually want to get rid of my Vegas(move em into the garage) and put a 2 chan system in their place.

My wife and I have already discussed a dedicated room, but this is reeeeaaaaallllyyyyy far off into the future.:(

This may all be delayed of course, depending on house projects and what not. I've finished up the backyard, but have some serious landscaping to do on the side yard. New kitchen counter tops and floor also comes to mind. The list goes on and on........

JoeE SP9
08-15-2006, 05:16 AM

Is there any way you could get him to join our group here. It could be the next best thing to going out or having friends over. I he's that sharp we need him anyway.:cool:

Opeth_fan
08-15-2006, 09:11 AM
At the top of my list (besides an Xbox 360) is a switcher for three component cable inputs with optical audio.

I've found some online for about $150 +. Anyone have any suggestions for a good device, maybe a little less expensive?

Edit: OK, I found one on Ebay for $75, three component/optical inputs...

http://cgi.ebay.com/HDTV-COMPONENT-VIDEO-DIGITAL-OPTICAL-SELECTOR-SWITCHER_W0QQitemZ270015063795QQcmdZViewItem

BadAssJazz
09-01-2006, 08:03 AM
My next upgrade will be to go to a separate HT processor and amp. The prices for a good 5.1 processor (don't have room for 6.1 or 7.1 setup) these days are almost dirt cheap.

With a budget of $2K for both a processor and 5 channel amp, any suggestions? Brands of choice include Arcam, Krell, B&K, Anthem, Myryad, Aragon and of course, Rotel.

topspeed
09-01-2006, 08:44 AM
I'm happy with my rig, so right now I'm wishing for other things:

1) Jaeger LeCoultre Master Compressor Chrono (tan strap, thank you very much)

2) E92 M3 that's reasonably priced (not likely, but it is a wish list)

3) Disney Vacation in October

4) Tama/DW/Zildjian kits for the kids

5) Another USC National Championship (I'm not kidding. This is important dammit!)

6) America grows up and ends its ridiculous obsession with celebrity.

7) Paris Hilton must die (or at the very least move to wherever Michael Jackson is.)

8) A car that makes 450hp, weighs 2500lbs, gets 35mpg, and isn't made by Toyota.

9) Pink Floyd reunites...and actually means it this time!

10) Less watching...more doing.

paul_pci
09-01-2006, 09:07 AM
My next upgrade will be to go to a separate HT processor and amp. The prices for a good 5.1 processor (don't have room for 6.1 or 7.1 setup) these days are almost dirt cheap.

With a budget of $2K for both a processor and 5 channel amp, any suggestions? Brands of choice include Arcam, Krell, B&K, Anthem, Myryad, Aragon and of course, Rotel.

That's my goal someday too. With your budget, I'd definitely go used, especially for the amp end of it. I priced a Rotel separates set up at about $2700, but looking at Audiogon, you can get some serious deals even on the most recent models. What I might end up doing is buying a used 5-channel amp (again, someday) and buy the processor new.

L.J.
09-01-2006, 10:35 AM
3) Disney Vacation in October

Perhaps I'll see ya there! :cornut:

musicman1999
09-01-2006, 03:32 PM
Well let's see:
speakers my jm labs say i am good to go.
display 51 inch rear projection hdtv,good to go
cd player,arcam good for now,possible tube upgrade later
dvd player cambridge audio,ok for now,but there will be an upgrade next spring.If there is a winner in the hd dvd/blue ray battle,if not possible arcam dvd137
reciever-cambridge audio good for now,but also future upgrade.I would like a reciever or processor devoid of usless features and long on sound quality.I don't need autosetup,video switching,dozens of dsp modes or anything else that uses resources that should go to sound quality.
also various wire,power and treatment upgrades will happen as time and money allow.

bill

minye
09-10-2006, 07:18 PM

Jazz,

Krell HTS, Proceed AVP and Lexicon DC2 will give you the best value.

I think three 2-channel amps( one bridged) will beat one 5-channel amp in weight, performance and flexibility, but may not cost more. I am doing it.

BadAssJazz
09-13-2006, 01:26 PM
Jazz,

Krell HTS, Proceed AVP and Lexicon DC2 will give you the best value.

I think three 2-channel amps( one bridged) will beat one 5-channel amp in weight, performance and flexibility, but may not cost more. I am doing it.

Thanks!

I've been patroling audiogon and spearitsound.com for Lexicon and Krell processors. I really like the Krell HTS, since it does both HT and stereo very well.

I will probably go with a single 5 channel amp, because I have limited space for components. But then again, with amps, I can always find a solution that will work for my space limitations.

jrhymeammo
09-13-2006, 04:04 PM
I keep looking at Audiogon also, but if I was going to spend $1000+ I would want to go to my trusting local dealer, or reputable webseller.

VPI Scout is on my list. But the problem is that if I do get it right now, I know I would want to upgrade my cart, then phono pre-amp. But I'm really satisfied with my TT setup so I'm good for now. Some people may not be able to understand it, but you don't need to spend $2k to hear great music on wax. With a decent deck I think cart and phonopre is more important than exotic TTs.
I also want to upgrade my tube integrated, but I'm really amazed with sound I get out of it. For under $1000, I could've done any better. But....tube pre and a couple of tube mono-blocks with more than 70 watts would open up my future speaker selections.
To be slightly more resonable Klipsch La Scala II, Proac Response D38 or even.......

But to be real, I just need more music. After all I got my system for my music.

Wait!!!! Equipment rack. Has anyone seen my photos? It looks like I've been dumpster diving. Well thrift store furniture isnt that much better...

-JRA

Tarheel_
09-14-2006, 11:37 AM
well,

1- 2003 Saab 9-5 Aero w/5spd. laser red/black leather with ventilated seats.
2- HD from Directv...gotta find the right cust.service rep to haggle
3- 5 channel amp Rotel or Sherbourn
4- someone that can build retaining walls on the cheap?

lofty i know, but if you can't dream it, you can't reach it.

thekid
09-16-2006, 06:16 AM
Tops on my list would be a separate HT room for my current budget system and then go from there. The more I read on this site about what lies out there the more I realize my current "family room/HT" situation just won't cut it. No sense in upgrading components if room considerations/WAF equations create limits.

Build the room and they will come.............. :)