Dayton Subwoofer [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Dayton Subwoofer

bargugl
08-11-2006, 05:14 AM
I know everyone says that you should save more money and just buy the SVS or the HSU. But if you are putting together a budget system for someone who just does not want to spend the money, how would you compare the Dayton PB-10 to say an Athena AS-P4000 or Polk PSW10?

kexodusc
08-11-2006, 05:37 AM
I know everyone says that you should save more money and just buy the SVS or the HSU. But if you are putting together a budget system for someone who just does not want to spend the money, how would you compare the Dayton PB-10 to say an Athena AS-P4000 or Polk PSW10?
I'd say it's a fair comparison...the Athena and Polk will look better however, though the Dayton is undoubtedly better constructed. One thing you can count on - the Dayton's specs are worst-case scenario, real-world figures, the others are more best-case scenario, anechoic-chamber, marketing specs....for the money, it's hard to argue against the Dayton.

JoeE SP9
08-11-2006, 04:08 PM
If you are a DIY'r you could try one of Nelson Pass' transmission line subwoofers. They use sonotubes for the enclosure. I tried to attach the PDF file but it's too large. The main project is a very large very low subwoofer which requires ten foot ceilings. However, at the end the section titled Conclusion gives the details for a reasonably sized sub that will fit almost any room and is incredibly inexpensive. I've just ordered 2 8" woofers so I can try this project. I will also be building the passive crossovers and maybe the actives. They are simple circuits and the parts are easily purchased.

The file is on the Pass DIY site under speakers. el-pipe-o.pdf