What am I doing wrong? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What am I doing wrong?

ademolu
08-10-2006, 08:12 PM
Just bought myself an Onkyo TX-SR603X and I am having problems getting any sound through my Bose(acoustimas 10) speakers. All connections seem Ok but I have to turn the vol to 40 to get any sound at all .Done all the setup and nothing seems to work. The tuner is also not delivering any sound. What am I doing wrong. Thanks for any suggestions/help.

EdwardGein
08-10-2006, 10:07 PM
Assuming your receiver has a headphone input, plug your headphone in & see if proper sound is coming out. If not, then it is a problem with your speakers, if not, then it is a problem with other connections. If it is a speaker connection, 1. See that your speaker wires are connected correctly & not reversed 2. Then see what speaker setting you have it on. 3. Make sure you either don't have it set on mute or have it set on no sound coming out except your headphones. Also check your CD player, DVD player, TV connections including cables.

This will get you through the basics. If its still a problem, pay some high end stereo place or someone off Craig's list $75 or so to come over & fix it. Good luck.

Grandpaw
08-11-2006, 05:02 AM
First of all WELCOME to the forum!

I have an Onkyo and there are push buttons on the front that turn on speakers A and B. If these are not pressed your speakers will not be turned on, try looking at this FIRST, Jeff

Just bought myself an Onkyo TX-SR603X and I am having problems getting any sound through my Bose(acoustimas 10) speakers. All connections seem Ok but I have to turn the vol to 40 to get any sound at all .Done all the setup and nothing seems to work. The tuner is also not delivering any sound. What am I doing wrong. Thanks for any suggestions/help.

Worf101
08-11-2006, 05:29 AM
I'f I'm not mistaken, the Bose Accoustimass series is "proprietary" in nature. That means that they only work when attached to the Bose Bass module or some such nonsense. I believe this is the case. If so, you just can't hook them up to a third party receiver and get sound.

Da Worfster

Grandpaw
08-11-2006, 05:48 AM
These speakers are proprietary within the speakers but CAN be hooked up to a non bose system, Jeff

I copied this from a Bose page...
Five speaker arrays provide full 5.1-channel surround sound
Acoustimass module provides full, rich bass at any volume
System works with your existing stereo and home theater components

I'f I'm not mistaken, the Bose Accoustimass series is "proprietary" in nature. That means that they only work when attached to the Bose Bass module or some such nonsense. I believe this is the case. If so, you just can't hook them up to a third party receiver and get sound.

Da Worfster

markw
08-11-2006, 01:18 PM
These speakers are proprietary within the speakers but CAN be hooked up to a non bose system, Jeff

I copied this from a Bose page...
Five speaker arrays provide full 5.1-channel surround sound
Acoustimass module provides full, rich bass at any volume
System works with your existing stereo and home theater components First off, ALL those teeny tiny little satellite speakers have to be connected to he Bose bass toaster as per the Bose instructions.

Next, the Bose bass toaster must be hooked up to the five speaker outputs on the receiver. Be very careful here. That's ten different wires and each one must go to the proper speaker output on the receiver. Check the Bose instructions on what goes where.

One good thing, though. You won't be using the LFE/sub out on the receiver.

Now, on the receiver, set the subwoofer to "off", or whatever the manual says you gotta do to accomplish this.

Now, if everything is hunky-dory, you should be getting the best sound that speaker system is capable of providing.

But, the guy was right. Does the radio work with headphones? Does you have some sort of antenna hooked up to the FM? Does anything work with the headphones?

GMichael
08-11-2006, 01:25 PM
Welcome to AR.

It has come up in the past that Bose speaker systems don't always work and play well with others. Hopefully this is not the case with yours. Does your manual show instructions for hooking up to 3rd party receivers?

ademolu
08-12-2006, 09:59 AM
Thanks u all . I finally got it to work. It actually was working but I did not crank the vol up enough for these modern receivers (We used to call them amps and then with a small turn of the dial sound comes off. ) Now it shows about 35 approx. on the dial before any sound comes up) The listening level is about 50. That's all there was to it. Thanks