Newb Connection Questions help! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Newb Connection Questions help!

thecommish16
08-10-2006, 06:55 PM
I've ALWAYS been a HTIB type of audio person, but decided to upgrade on the advice of a friend to HKTS 8s and an HK AVR 240.

My question is:

What is the BEST way to connect this to a DVD player and a Plasma TV? I want sound for TV programs AND DVD movies....

I currently bought an S/PDIF Coaxial to go from my TV's Digital Audio OUT INTO the AVR 240 via the digital coaxial in. Is this the best way to do it? Or should I be going in with different cables from the DVD (HDMI) player, and even from the cable box?

Mr Peabody
08-10-2006, 07:48 PM
If your cable box has a digital out, connect it to your receiver's digital in. And the same with your DVD player. You could go from your DVD player with HDMI to the TV and then your TV's digital out to receiver. I'm leary of that though because I still don't trust HDMI to do good 5.1, if it can at all. I like the most direct route but many connect everything to the receiver in order to have switching control. Since a full array of inputs are provided now on modern TV's, I have no video going to my processor. All video goes straight to the TV. All HT audio goes digitally into my processor. I currently do not use HDMI but may be forced to if any of the HD movie formats take off.

thecommish16
08-10-2006, 08:03 PM
Well I've got a monster S/PDIF Digital Coaxial for the cablebox. Im going to pick up an optical cable, they seem to be cheaper with a monster version running 17 bucks at radhio shack, so I'll have independent connections like you said.

thecommish16
08-11-2006, 04:59 PM
ok after a trip to walmart...

1 Monster S\PDIF Coaxial

1 Phillips Optical

1 Phillips Coaxial

1 Philips MP3 Stereo Connect (1/8 to RCA)

speakers installed, wires under the floor, now waiting for reciever which arrives monday morning (AVR 240).

Mr Peabody
08-11-2006, 08:58 PM
Looks like you are on your way.

thecommish16
08-11-2006, 09:24 PM
I'm excited. The optical connection is definetly something I've never seen...it doesn't even look like theres any wire in there...I guess its pure light? Must be some signal.

paul_pci
08-12-2006, 02:17 PM
Yes, just pulses of light. It carries the pure digital information and then the receiver will decode it and process it and then finally amplify it.

thecommish16
08-14-2006, 08:00 AM
Reciever comes in in about an hour...can't wait to rock this thing!

thecommish16
08-16-2006, 12:31 PM
Ok...I have it all in, and have watched some movies on it the last couple days, VERY impressive!!

Here's the final setup:

Philips 42 inch HD Plasma TV

HK AVR 240

HKTS 8's ( 6.1 Surround Speakers w/ 10" 100 watt powered sub)

Sony Upscaling HDMI DVD Player

Xbox 360

All connected via Monster and Phillips Cables

I also connected my Dell XPS Desktop to SHARE files with my 600m laptop, and I've got Itunes connected via 1/8 to RCA via the front port on the AVR 240

It's one heck of a setup for a main living room area. Music, movies, gaming, and sports, I'd say it's definetly legit!

Thanks for the help all! :6: