HDMI-component video converter? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HDMI-component video converter?

matrix_glitch
08-09-2006, 11:52 AM
I have an older HDTV that only has component video inputs but I would like to get a DVD video upscaling player. Is there such a thing as an HDMI to component video converter? I can't find any DVD player that will output the upscaled resolution through the component video outputs.

edtyct
08-10-2006, 10:47 AM
A couple of older players upscaled through component--an LG/Zenith (before a firmware upgrade) and the V, Inc. Bravo D1--but the powers that be have put a stop to upscaling without the digital copyprotection (HDCP) afforded by DVI and HDMI. I wouldn't turn over stones looking for either of these players, especially given the abundance of current players that outperform them regardless of output. No adaptive bridge between analog component and digital HDMI exists for a number of reasons, the most important one being that HDCP can't be duplicated on component.

Although a digitally capable HDTV might be a good purchase down the line to guarantee the highest resolution programming from broadcast and hi def DVD, as well as other perks, it isn't strictly necessary for your standard defintition DVD player now. Upconverting DVD players do essentially what all microdisplays do to an incoming DVD signal--convert it the display's native resolution--and though they sometimes do a slightly better job of the task than the display itself, the difference in sharpness, if present at all, is not large enough to fret about. Plus, if the upscaling player doesn't convert the signal to the exact resolution of your display, much of the advantage is lost, anyway. Furthermore, if your current HDTV is a CRT, HDMI upconversion doesn't really do any good, since CRTs don't have HD-ready fixed pixels that need to be activated to show a picture at all, and, as analog displays, they require a D/A conversion from HDMI, which is likely to soften images to an extent.

If your DVD player is old, and you're all hopped up about getting a new transition one before moving to hi def, buy a good one within your budget and enjoy the component output until you buy your next TV.