lightning strike ... HUS VTF-2 now dead! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : lightning strike ... HUS VTF-2 now dead!

AteAnotherOne
08-09-2006, 07:39 AM
a few weeks back my house was struck by lightning. took out security system, phone, and computer moden and nic.

my hsu vtf-2 subwoofer was also a casualty. it was the only piece of my ht setup what was not protected by a surge protector.

it was kinda working for a few weeks. when i would try to use it, it would start sound blown and crackle, but after 30 secs or so, it would sound ok. last weekend though, it now has no power to it at all.

the speaker sounded fine, so i assume something is wrong w/ it electronically. would it worth it to try to fix it? what could the possibilites be? ...cost?

when i contacted hsu originally, the suggested replaced the whole thing ...but i would like some other input.

thanx in advace,

jR

kexodusc
08-09-2006, 07:53 AM
It's most likely just the plate amp....try the fuses on the plate amp, if not ask HSU what amp it is. Plate amps are very universal, Parts Express, MCM electronics, etc sell plate amps of 250 watts or so for anywhere from $80-$200, depending who's got what deal on.
The amp might be fixable, but a lightning surge could overwhelm its circuitry. Beyond a fuse or two, repairing it would approach replacement costs.

AteAnotherOne
08-09-2006, 10:34 AM
the fuse was my initial thought. im going to replace that tonight and see how it goes. im hesitant to to just repair the amp, but hsu said they can upgrade it to the 250w version (i think mine is 150w) for $250.00.

doesnt sound too too bad sinice the enclosure and sub are working perfectly.

audio amateur
08-09-2006, 03:12 PM
tell us what u do

AteAnotherOne
08-10-2006, 01:35 PM
fuses did no good. it didnt even power back on. so i ordered a new plate amp.

i'll let you know when it gets here next week and give and update if there was any noticable differences between the two.

Worf101
08-11-2006, 05:37 AM
Was the sub out of warranty? I'd try contacting HSU first and see what their tech support can do. I've had nothing but good treatment from them and even better luck with their subs. They might be able to get you a replacement amp at cost.

Da Worfster