Fire down subaudio? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Fire down subaudio?

Mark_IDT
08-08-2006, 11:04 PM
I'm about to be making a sealed enclosure for an Adire Tempest classic. The suggested configuration by Adire is to make a down firing enclosure. They state that this driver is somewhat made to be used in this configuration and gravity would have little effect on xmax. What I'm wondering is would thick carpet have ill effect on performance if I downfire it? I'm thinking it would be best to put a sheet of mdf under it like SV does. I'm not so sure if I'll downfire it yet but I do like the idea as it protects the driver and it seems it would make placement easier though I know thats not a general consesus.

kexodusc
08-09-2006, 04:12 AM
I'm about to be making a sealed enclosure for an Adire Tempest classic. The suggested configuration by Adire is to make a down firing enclosure. They state that this driver is somewhat made to be used in this configuration and gravity would have little effect on xmax. What I'm wondering is would thick carpet have ill effect on performance if I downfire it? I'm thinking it would be best to put a sheet of mdf under it like SV does. I'm not so sure if I'll downfire it yet but I do like the idea as it protects the driver and it seems it would make placement easier though I know thats not a general consesus.

Thick carpet had better be pretty darn thick, say, 2 or 3 inches, and extremely dense material for it to have absolutely and measurable impact on frequencies below 100 Hz. Aint' gonna do much at all. Carpet will absorb frequencies at 200 Hz and above rather well though.

Don't worry about the carpet. I'm not sure SVS puts MDF under it, maybe they feel it ensures a more uniform reflection fo sound or something. I wouldn't bother, but MDF is certainly cheap enought to experiment with.

Mark_IDT
08-09-2006, 10:58 AM
Ya I didn't think it would matter but it was something I read over at SV. I do like the way it makes a down firing sub look though so if I decide to make it like that I'll probablty do it anyway. Does it help with placement though? I know when I had a sub in the past if I pointed it toward the back wall I had alot more room gain than if it was firing into the room.