DENON distance challenged Remote. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : DENON distance challenged Remote.

nascar03
08-08-2006, 02:29 PM
My DENON 3801 remote (#883) started acting up on the weekend.
It only works if you hold it within 3 feet of the equipment, whether it be the Rcvr, DVD, projector or CD player. Everything else works fine....macros still work....program codes for other equipment still in-place...
I changed the batteries to a known good set and then to a new out-of-package set. No difference! I cleaned it hoping that it was only some dirt on the emitting end of the remote. Nothing?
Anyone have any ideas what could cause this now 'distance challenged' remote?? My dealer told me this morning to come in and order a new one? $100+ Good for him, not for me!!
This unit was purchased in 2001 but only came out-of-the-box 7 months ago.

thanx............................................. .................................................. .......... nascar03

elapsed
08-08-2006, 08:12 PM
For $130 you can pickup a Logitech Harmony 880 Universal Remote that would blow away the remote that came with your Denon 3801. I would certainly choose a Harmony Remote over a replacement Denon Remote. :)

nascar03
08-09-2006, 06:23 AM
I think you're right. I'm going to take a look for a Harmony tonight.
I might drop the DENON remote off to have a repair shop look at it as well.
The Harmony is certainly a better idea.
thanx............................................. .................................................. nascar03

AVMASTER
08-11-2006, 08:28 AM
the harmony remote might make things simpler but it still works on infrared, without knowing how you're set-up, the same thing that's interfering with the denon remote could happen to the harmony. Will the remotes from other equipment work at a greater distance?
You could also try a RF based remote or a IR repeater system

nascar03
08-14-2006, 06:38 AM
AVMASTER.
thanx for the thoughts.
It is definately a problem with the DENON remote.
All my other remotes work fine from the other end of the 25'+ room.
I took the remote to a local DENON dealer and tried it there. 3 salespeople couldn't believe it and insisted they install their own batteries. The remote wouldn't work past 4' from the receiver.
I will hopefully get in-touch witrh DENON today and arrange to buy a new remote.

thanx .................................................. .......................nascar03

nascar03
08-22-2006, 08:24 AM
I'm not happy that my original remote acted up but I am pleased that DENON came thru with a new replacement remote at a reduced price. It arrived yesterday in the mail and It works great. I programmed the new one last nite complete with all the macros and I'm back in the control again.
. thanx to DENON for helping out.. :)
nascar03