The Descent [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The Descent

Kam
08-07-2006, 06:56 AM
Very enjoyable movie from the director of Dog Soldiers (a great reccomendation awhile back from worfster). That's actually the only reason i went to see this was because i liked dog soldiers so much i wanted to see what this would be like. And the first half is absolutely excellent, you really feel the uncomfortableness of the claustrophobia and what they are going through and the set up. after the midpoint shift (and the monsters in full force) its just good, not quite as good as it was. and then the last 3 seconds left me saying wtf?

overall though, i would reccomend seeing it, its an enjoyable thriller/horror movie. not as good as the movies the ads are comparing it to (ala alien, etc) but its still enjoyable. i would say alien rises above a 'genre' movie and is just a great movie, this one isnt so great that it rises above its genre, but its a good genre movie. comparable to Dog Soldiers, although i'd say DS is a better movie than this one.

i think for this to have risen above the genre, they should have taken the monsters out entirely and just kept this a thriller/drama of what happens to these girls in this cave. or even better, if they kept the horror side of it supernatural ala blair witch, where we never even see what it is that's doing it, and even wonder if the girls are jsut seeing things or going a little crazy rather than just flat out showing the monsters, which is never scary.

*****KINDA SPOILERS****

the only critique i would give, is that what happens to some of the characters isnt as deserved as it should be. the whole 'comeuppance' angle that has to happen (i guess) isnt deserved and actually takes away from the 'hero' (if there is one) girl. if anyone's seen it and has any idea what those last 3 seconds meant.... please share your ideas.

superpanavision70mm
08-07-2006, 10:12 PM
THE DESCENT is about as good as ....STEEL starring Shaq. If anyone remembers that piece of rubbish (hopefully you forgot by now) but that's how bad this film is.

L.J.
01-17-2007, 08:57 AM
Very enjoyable movie from the director of Dog Soldiers (a great reccomendation awhile back from worfster). That's actually the only reason i went to see this was because i liked dog soldiers so much i wanted to see what this would be like. And the first half is absolutely excellent, you really feel the uncomfortableness of the claustrophobia and what they are going through and the set up. after the midpoint shift (and the monsters in full force) its just good, not quite as good as it was. and then the last 3 seconds left me saying wtf?

overall though, i would reccomend seeing it, its an enjoyable thriller/horror movie. not as good as the movies the ads are comparing it to (ala alien, etc) but its still enjoyable. i would say alien rises above a 'genre' movie and is just a great movie, this one isnt so great that it rises above its genre, but its a good genre movie. comparable to Dog Soldiers, although i'd say DS is a better movie than this one.

i think for this to have risen above the genre, they should have taken the monsters out entirely and just kept this a thriller/drama of what happens to these girls in this cave. or even better, if they kept the horror side of it supernatural ala blair witch, where we never even see what it is that's doing it, and even wonder if the girls are jsut seeing things or going a little crazy rather than just flat out showing the monsters, which is never scary.

*****KINDA SPOILERS****

the only critique i would give, is that what happens to some of the characters isnt as deserved as it should be. the whole 'comeuppance' angle that has to happen (i guess) isnt deserved and actually takes away from the 'hero' (if there is one) girl. if anyone's seen it and has any idea what those last 3 seconds meant.... please share your ideas.

Finally saw this. It was the uncut version on Blu-ray. Been awhile since the wife and I sat down and watched a horror flic. I liked it from start to end. I actually jumped out of my seat a few times. I agree that the tension felt alot better when you saw only the first few glimpses of the monsters. Being trapped in a cave would be scarry, but seeing things scurry by would make you piss your pants. Once the monsters were fully shown and they (the girls) got split up, it seemed that everyone died off pretty quick though.

markw
01-17-2007, 09:15 AM
...the book by that name by Jeff Long was totally awesome. When I found out the only thing this movie had in common with it was the title, I chilled immediately.